Front axle nut
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Front axle nut

FRESHMAN ROVER

Front axle nut

Having hard time with the front axle nut. I never have seen this before I’m trying to get a punch screwdriver in to bend back up nothing is working. I couldn’t find anything on site so if there is a post elsewhere I do apologize
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Front axle nut-a458d2c0-1dc9-4b7e-8111-3a3541c0a5e6_1555604810429.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

JUNIOR ROVER

Re: Front axle nut

Two ways of doing it. Get a normal tapered centre punch, grind it down to a chisel shape and hammer it in to lift the staked part out. Don't try to lever it as the centre punch, being hardened steel (or at least it should be), will break off leaving you with an even bigger problem. Other way, assuming you have a replacement nut, is to drill down the groove so you remove the staked section. Surprised you've not come across this method of locking before as virtually all cars, or European ones anyway, use the same method.
    97 4.0SE
    98 4.0 Police spec
    and a number of others I maintain for the owners.

JUNIOR ROVER

That nut is staked in more so than I'm used to seeing. I would work the gap with a small screwdriver, then once you have a decent clearance use a needle nose plier. The metal that the axle nut is made out of is quite stout. The stake won't bend back that easily. When I worked on mine, I destroyed the plier in the process, so should warn you about that. If you're going to remove the nut, I think you'll have a hard time with all that rust. I had absolutely no rust on mine, but still took forever to remove with a pneumatic impact driver.
    02 P38
    SoCal, USA

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SENIOR ROVER

You need a (fairly substantial) centre punch with the end ground about the size and shape of a pencil. Use it with a 2lb hammer.
    Get the point of the chisel under the stake and give it a few heavy blows. The metal used for the nut is soft so it is an easy job to knock the stake out.
    Don't worry about damaging the nut, you need a new one anyway. Just make sure you don't damage the thread on the stub axle. Even if you, a new CV joint is cheap and comes with the stub axle attached.
    Wire brush the thread and soak it with penetrating oil. Then use a breaker bar to get the nut started. I think it is 32mm from memory.
    Ideally use a 3/4" drive socket and breaker bar or even a 3/4" torque wrench if you have one. If you only have 1/2" drive stuff you may need to use a length of pipe as well.
    Fit a new nut and tighten it as per the book to the correct torque setting.
    2000 Range Rover 2.5 DSE HP24 auto, uprated torque converter - JFearn chip, larger intercooler, removable winch, stainless exhaust, alloy radiator, Gen III's, Terrafirma +2" shocks, GG AT2's. Faultmate MSV2. Land Rover folding mountain bike with 1000W electric motor.
    ex-1996 Discovery 2.5 300Tdi diesel auto
    ex-1982 Classic 3.86 Perkins diesel manual

FRESHMAN ROVER
    I apologize and tyvm. Yeah staked is new to me I deal with the typical Chevy and fords with the cotter pin. Broke the screwdriver so I drilled the stake soaked in pb blaster wire brushed it torched it a bit breaker bar with extension pipe. Me @185 with about 4 ft pipe jumping to break the nut a bit didn’t go so well lol. It’ll give eventually, just gonna take awhile. Again tyvm

JUNIOR ROVER

A screwdriver is for driving screws not to be used as a punch. The 4ft pipe is where you are going wrong, I use a 6 ft one, preferably scaffold pole so it doesn't bend......
    97 4.0SE
    98 4.0 Police spec
    and a number of others I maintain for the owners.

FRESHMAN ROVER

My version of the scaffold pole breaker bar has the pole welded about half way along a 3/4 drive extension shaft. An axle stand under the shaft opposite the socket drive makes a much more solid base for heaving. Can't tilt down and off. Breaker was first made to haul the nut of a Lancia Beta front stub axle, from memory book tightness was well over 200 ft lb. Its almost scary how much the extension twists under load.

Clive

FRESHMAN ROVER
    The driver side finally gave way maybe 20 minutes after my last post. Buddy came over with his 3/4” drive my ass wasn’t heavy enough to break it but his was lol. Now the passenger side complete different story. 1st and 2nd pic is what the driver side looks like. Garbage!!! 3rd pic I’m still going threw it. That had about 5ft with extension bar on handle. Need a longer bar and will do with the ext on the jack hopefully that will be enough to break. And buy my buddy a new 3/4 ratchet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Front axle nut-9e57a555-0666-480b-82ce-a26fc930c5a4_1555635144409.jpg   Front axle nut-b30806b3-b442-4115-9e86-95d8715985f7_1555635203807.jpg   Front axle nut-fbce3e21-2400-4e8f-aa56-ae1800f0657b_1555635231653.jpg  

JUNIOR ROVER

You don’t need the bar through the wheel studs, just stick a screwdriver down the disc, and rest against the caliper.
    id be tempted to warm the nut up if it’s that tight, I use a 3/4 breaker bar, never had one that hasn’t come undone yet.
    i take it your doing Balljoints ?

SENIOR ROVER

I bought a used Teng 3/4" torque wrench on Ebay. It is about 5ft long and very substantially made. Used for commercial vehicles. An engineering company was selling them off after the calibration certificate expired. Only cost about £30 t0 £40 from memory. If I apply 100 lbs at 5ft radius, that is 500 ft lbs! I use it for undoing nuts as well as tightening them up. Tightest nut I have come across is the crankshaft nut on my diesel. I had to swing on it.
    2000 Range Rover 2.5 DSE HP24 auto, uprated torque converter - JFearn chip, larger intercooler, removable winch, stainless exhaust, alloy radiator, Gen III's, Terrafirma +2" shocks, GG AT2's. Faultmate MSV2. Land Rover folding mountain bike with 1000W electric motor.
    ex-1996 Discovery 2.5 300Tdi diesel auto
    ex-1982 Classic 3.86 Perkins diesel manual

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by dave3d View Post
    Tightest nut I have come across is the crankshaft nut on my diesel. I had to swing on it.
    VW Beetle rear wheel hub nut is another ******* thing to undo.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6B
    Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE GEMS
    Moto Guzzi LeMans 850
    Aprilia Tuono V2

FRESHMAN ROVER

You don't need to take the "dent" out completely of the nut, put some force on it and she'll come off.

I took a 40mm pipe off about 75cm long, welded a socket on one end, and a piece of that pipe on the other side of the socket, so you can support it with a jack, in this way you never put all the force on an angle on the socket, and tighten or loosen it goes a hell of a lot easier.

Front axle nut-socket.jpgFront axle nut-jack.jpg

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now