1999 P38 4.6l wont crank after head gasket replacement
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1999 P38 4.6l wont crank after head gasket replacement

FRESHMAN ROVER

1999 P38 4.6l wont crank after head gasket replacement

Hey guys,

New to the forum and to Land Rovers. I picked up a 1999 P38 that needed head gaskets and a starter. I completed the starter replacement first, and after I finished the job it cranked just fine. Then went ahead with the head gasket replacement, put everything back together and now I can't get it to crank. I do get some relays clicking. Double/triple checked the connections at the starter and remade to connection to the solenoid. It doesn't appear to have any connections that I missed. The main ground was untouched. Battery is new and charged.

The mistake I might have made: the rover had some old gas in it, so instead of siphoning i decided to turn the key to on, enabling the fuel pump to pump the remainder of the gas into a 5 gallon bucket. That didn't work so we ended up siphoning. Now I believe I may have made the ECM mad because I turned the power on with many electrical sensors disconnected, and now I am in lock mode.

Your guys thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: 1999 P38 4.6l wont crank after head gasket replacement

Update: Looks like the starter solenoid connection was on the wrong spade. It now cranks, but no spark.

SENIOR ROVER

are you sure it is not immobilized?
    2k p38 4.6
    95 lwb 4.6
    01 d2 4.0

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Once mi 97 became immobilized(I think the drivers door lock was just starting to get funky) so I was able to turn on the power roll the windows down a little then use the key to turn left to unlock position then hold right to roll up all the windows and it reset everything.
    Good luck
    1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
    1985 Chevy Corvette 5.7 TPI
    Nano Evolution II(fixes=paid for itself)
    4x SrS reset with nano
    P0183 changed fuel temp sensor OK
    P1179 cleaned maf with maf cleaner OK
    P1314 reset CEL OK (was going thru large puddles when CEL went on).
    Service Engine reset/Adaptive values reset

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thanks for the info, how long do you hold it in the lock and unlock position? I ended up getting it running, it was running really smooth. Decided to take it out one night to get a better comfort level that everything was fixed. Got down the street and it died, seemed like it lost electrical power, got a bunch of error codes. Now I have two good batteries fully charged, new alternator and starter, most of the relays are new and I cannot get it to crank again. The only error I see constantly is a gearbox fault. Checked all of the connections at the BECM, one seemed loose, tightened it, no change. Any ideas?

FRESHMAN ROVER

The drivers side door lock is also funky, sometimes I can hold it in the unlock position, then move it to lock and it will lock the car. Sometimes it won't, seems fairly haphazard.

JUNIOR ROVER

Replace the door latch before it locks you out completely. There's 3 microswitches in the latch and when they start to die you can end up will all sorts of grief. Gearbox Fault is the first one that comes up with low battery voltage. Check the battery terminals are good otherwise you are probably looking at a replacement under bonnet fusebox.
    97 4.0SE
    98 4.0 Police spec
    and a number of others I maintain for the owners.

JUNIOR ROVER

Either a faulty connection somewhere, or earth missing,, did you put both back, 1 on right hand head at rear, other to side of block,, ( presuming that that battery stays same place as rhd vehicle)

FRESHMAN ROVER

Chris,

Thanks for the help, I measured the voltage coming into the starter solenoid and I am getting a couple of millivolts to the starter(12.3v at the battery) when they key is on start, so I ordered a new fuse box. Hopefully that will be the cause. As for grounds, if memory serves me correct, I touched the ground on the back of the head, ground on the battery terminal, and the ground on the alternator to do the heads. The main ground appears to go to the passenger side shock tower. The connections were all bent up so I fixed those and scraped off some paint to make sure I had a good ground. Hopefully everything will get sorted out with the fuse box. Let me know if you believe I missed a ground.

JUNIOR ROVER

12.3 at the battery isn't enough, P38's need juice. Before you do anything else, make sure you have a good battery fully charged and sized properly for a P38. You can spin the engine with low voltage but not fast enough to fire. Your fusebox may be bad, but that usually manifests with blown relays, not hard starting.
    '99 Range Rover HSE
    '02 Audi S6

Quote Originally Posted by NorCal RR View Post
    12.3 at the battery isn't enough, P38's need juice. Before you do anything else, make sure you have a good battery fully charged and sized properly for a P38. You can spin the engine with low voltage but not fast enough to fire. Your fusebox may be bad, but that usually manifests with blown relays, not hard starting.
    12.3V should be plenty to get a Rover V8 started, they need surprisingly little juice to turn over and fire, if they're in reasonable state. I've had cars start after sitting for a month or longer, with an old battery, but still coming to life after a few slow turns of the V8. The diesel is another matter, they do need the starter to spin at a good speed. And if it was the battery, the engine would still turn over, just slowly. Or at the very least there would be a click as battery voltage drops in the case of a bad battery. So unlikely to be the cause of the OP's problems. Because of the work recently done, a bad connections seems like the most obvious cause, but that seems to have been checked, so a new fusebox is not a bad next step. Even though I hate just replacing stuff wirthout being 100% sure it's the cause...

Filip
    4.0 SE manual, 1997, 'Priscilla': current daily
    4.0 SE manual, 1995, 'Piper', built for offroad with tuned 4.6 on MS: lost in fire
    4.6 SE auto, 1995, 'Prue': awaiting attention
    2.5 DT manual, 1996, 'Paige': retired and stripped
    D90 TD5, 2005, 'Nessie' TR2 racer: sold

JUNIOR ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Escape View Post
    12.3V should be plenty to get a Rover V8 started, they need surprisingly little juice to turn over and fire, if they're in reasonable state. I've had cars start after sitting for a month or longer, with an old battery, but still coming to life after a few slow turns of the V8. The diesel is another matter, they do need the starter to spin at a good speed. And if it was the battery, the engine would still turn over, just slowly. Or at the very least there would be a click as battery voltage drops in the case of a bad battery. So unlikely to be the cause of the OP's problems. Because of the work recently done, a bad connections seems like the most obvious cause, but that seems to have been checked, so a new fusebox is not a bad next step. Even though I hate just replacing stuff wirthout being 100% sure it's the cause...
    Never said he should blindly replace it. But it should be rated for the Range Rover in CCA along with being properly charged and 12.3V is not properly charged. But even if its closer to 13V, if its a small battery, its not going to supply enough energy to spin fast enough. The Gearbox fault is a classic indicator of not enough juice. I've never heard that the P38 was easy to spin, just the opposite.
    '99 Range Rover HSE
    '02 Audi S6

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thanks for the info guys, the battery in question is a new battery properly sized for the rover specs. i'll change the fusebox tonight and we shall see.

The Rover V8 can be started with a handle if need be, older Landies even had a hole for access for emergencies. Getting it to turn over is easy enough, even a battery half the size will do that without problem. Or a big battery that's dropped to below 12V. Lowest I saw was around 10.5V (after sitting for a couple of months), but she still came to life.
    The engine does need to be in good shape to fire on the first couple of turns. Only reason you want a big battery, is to have the necessary capacity to hold charge when leaving the Range for a length of time.

I agree the gearbox fault points to an electrical problem, like a bad connection. Hope the fusebox solves it!

Filip
    4.0 SE manual, 1997, 'Priscilla': current daily
    4.0 SE manual, 1995, 'Piper', built for offroad with tuned 4.6 on MS: lost in fire
    4.6 SE auto, 1995, 'Prue': awaiting attention
    2.5 DT manual, 1996, 'Paige': retired and stripped
    D90 TD5, 2005, 'Nessie' TR2 racer: sold

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Escape View Post
    I agree the gearbox fault points to an electrical problem, like a bad connection. Hope the fusebox solves it!

Filip
    My money is on a duff earth point or a loose connector.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6B
    Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE GEMS
    Moto Guzzi LeMans 850
    Aprilia Tuono V2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now