those pesky o rings - Page 2
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: those pesky o rings

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: those pesky o rings

I replaced the ones in my 2000 last summer using Viton O rings and no lubricant. They were leaking and I needed to get the heater working for winter. Had a bypass hose in place over the summer. I could not get the original screw out and had to cut a hole in the side of the plastic center consul underneath the side cover in order to drill off head with a 12 inch drill bit. After I got the assembly out I had to put it in my vice and use a Vise Grip to turn out the remainder of the screw as it was so rusted in place. The old O rings were brittle as chalk, probably 18 years old. I used fresh water to test and had a leak. Discovered I had not lined up the pipes correctly before tightening the socket head screw that I used. Realigned so that the pipes went in straight and have not had a leak since then. I have a heater core from a parts car and it seems well made to me so I would not be inclined to replace it offhand as I don't think it is that easy to get out.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER
    RHD. Turns out the last guy in had put silicone sealant around the rings, other than that the rings were OK, so I guess the silicone seal ruptured when I did the head gasket/ replaced the hoses. I didn't have to cut any ducting, but did forcibly move some, after removing the instrument panel with the speedo. I also gave myself a couple of nice holes to put my tools through. Filled with water to test. Tnx all for your advice
    1998 Defender 50th 4.0L V8 Auto
    1998 Range Rover 50th 4.6L V8 Auto
    Toylander Series 2A

Previously
    1980 SIII 2.25 petrol
    1997 200 Tdi CSW

JUNIOR ROVER

I've found that when they only have a slight leak, the rings are usually still in one piece just squashed into a square section and fairly hard. When the leak is worse, then they are so hard they are in pieces.
    96 4.6HSE
    98 4.0 Police spec
    and a number of others I maintain for the owners.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER
    LHD, Mine was spewing coolant all over, carpet soaked, foam core soaked. O-rings were original and completely disintegrated.

That was over 3 years ago...and now with many, many rough off road miles later she’s still 100% leak free.

With the help of a 3 foot long screwdriver and the radio removed for access. It only took about an hour start to finish..oh yeah and I used the coolant dripping out of the heatercore as lube..
    99' Callaway

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by romanrob View Post
    I'll be doing the o rings on the heater matrix in the next few days... quick show of hands from those who have done it (and not sprung a leak since !!) - did you just dip the o rings in coolant as per rave, or was anyone tempted to use rtv/ silicone/ something else as well?
    Hi Rob, used coolant, since it is a slippery mess after they leak anyway. worked fine, no leaks for the last 2 years now.
    Somebody put a really handy video on youtube with pointers on how to get access, including the circular hole and a very long plus driver. worked like a charm..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now