Very important: Throttle Body Return Hose
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Very important: Throttle Body Return Hose

Very important: Throttle Body Return Hose

I have wondered over the years about the "Complete" Hose Kits you can buy.
    Specifically, the absence of Part #PCH000330G. This is the hard black plastic return line for the throttle body heater plate. (From Throttle body to bottom of expansion tank) Parts list shows this to be fitted from 95-02, so both Bosch and Gems.
    I have just replaced my alternator on the White 02 and in the process, I gently moved this pipe and had it shatter in 3 places!
    Fortunately, I was not on the road, and was able to fit a 4mm rubber tube.
    In hindsight, I should have noticed it's lack at the time, and done something about it however I did not. This small tube breaking could spoil our whole day!

As this part has not been included in any of the 3 kits I have purchased over the years, there are potentially many P-38s out there with degraded plastic return lines.

I pointed this out to AB, whom I bought the kits from, and they were surprised at it's lack as well.
    It will be included in all future kits, I am assured.
    (Just checked...It took them all of 15 min to update the parts list, and post new photos of the kit. now including this tube!)
    In the meantime, they do have them in stock.

If you cannot remember ever changing this pipe, it is probably time......Do at least go give it a bend in a few places to see if it has gone brittle.
    1952 Austin Champ (Hawaii)
    1953 Austin Champ (Australia)
    1985 Classic w/ Tdi300 (Australia)
    1999 4.6 HSE, White Gold "Stitch" (Wife's Daily Driver) Sold to a new enthusiast!
    2002 4.6 HSE, White "Bolt" Hawaii Daily driver (Stored in the shed for now)
    2002 4.6 HSE Borrego Yellow "Digby" West Coast cruiser and official Boat Car.
    On springs, but not for long!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Re: Very important: Throttle Body Return Hose

Good preventative information. Thanks. If you can snap a picture of the tube in its place for reference for everyone.

2002 HSE 4.6
    P38 black/black Audi heater core installed, double din radio installed,
    PAC Steering wheel controls and backup camera installed.

JUNIOR ROVER

They get very brittle and do snap very easily. This side of the Atlantic most people just replace the whole run with this http://www.autosiliconehoses.com/8mm...lue-black.html. Same size as the rubber stubs on the ends and might need re-routing slightly as it is a bit thicker but no danger of it ever breaking again. Some people have used fuel hose as it is the same size but that also goes very brittle with coolant flowing through it.
    97 4.0SE
    98 4.0 Police spec
    and a number of others I maintain for the owners.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Had this happen to me on my way to the airport (boy that was fun). My guess is that some pot hole or something jolted it enough to break it in two. As a quick fix, I replaced it with a rubber reinforced hose and it's been there ever since.

I love silicone heater hoses!
    I have fuel line in there now, as it was all I could find.
    Forgot to mention,
    AB is sending me a pair of the aforementioned pipes to "Complete" the last 2 kits I bought!
    Great customer service deserves a mention!

FRESHMAN ROVER

Bolt- I'm confused (not unusual). The part number you listed shows this:

https://www.roverparts.com/Parts/PCH000330G

But their kit shows as follows:

https://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9372B

When I click on each hose I don't see the part number you originally referenced. I think I might want to replace my hoses but want to make sure I get the right stuff.

Glen
    2001 P38 4.6 HSE, Kent Green/Light Stone

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Richard. I’m heading over the pond in May and would like to pick some up. What length would I need to completely replace everything in my 02 Bosch. 6 meters?

2002 HSE 4.6
    P38 black/black Audi heater core installed, double din radio installed,
    PAC Steering wheel controls and backup camera installed.

SENIOR ROVER

during last fall I replaced a few items on my engine and this pipes were two of the items on the list, a word of caution so others do run my faith, be extremely careful when disconnecting this hoses from plastic or composite ends such as radiator and expansion tank.

my radiator was 3 yrs old and the nipple broke when I attempted to remove said hose, so did expansion tank nipple. age of tank unknown.
    2k p38 4.6
    95 lwb 4.6
    01 d2 4.0

Last week I ordered 10' this reinforced silicone heater hose from Amazon when my throttle body heater plate started leaking.

.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2000 Holland and Holland

JUNIOR ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoCrow View Post
    Richard. I’m heading over the pond in May and would like to pick some up. What length would I need to completely replace everything in my 02 Bosch. 6 meters?
    The first length I bought to do my own car I got 3m and that was plenty to replace the two hoses to the throttle body heater. The short one from the inlet manifold is always difficult to get off as it goes hard because it gets so hot so replaced that too. That was black but later I ordered 6m which would be enough to do two cars and at least one radiator to header tank hose too. The UK supplier isn't particularly reliable though. No problem with the first order but on the second they called me to say they were out of stock of black but could supply either 3 ply in black or single ply in red. The 3 ply would have been much too thick so I got the single ply in red and found that had a slightly thicker wall so wasn't quite as neat to fit as the black had been. I would think you could get the same stuff in the US though and maybe find someone that does keep it in stock.

On a GEMS that throttle body heater pipe runs under the alternator and if the silicon hose is run in the same route it is dangerously close to the back of the serpentine belt which could wear through it so I routed it behind the alternator instead. As for removing the old ones, I always slit the hose along it's length as it is going to be thrown away anyway, that way it comes off easily without putting any strain on the nipple it is connected to. I do the same with the hoses to the heater matrix as yanking on them is a sure fire way of causing the heater core O rings to start leaking, just make sure you have the correct new hoses to put on when things go back together. Some new hoses can be very tight but a smear of silicon grease makes them slip on easily (as silicon grease is the same stuff that is used as a lubricant on condoms so it's only doing what it was intended to do....).
    97 4.0SE
    98 4.0 Police spec

JUNIOR ROVER

and it looks like MarkTR has found a supplier for you...
    97 4.0SE
    98 4.0 Police spec

Quote Originally Posted by Glenrad View Post
    Bolt- I'm confused (not unusual). The part number you listed shows this:

https://www.roverparts.com/Parts/PCH000330G

But their kit shows as follows:

https://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9372B

When I click on each hose I don't see the part number you originally referenced. I think I might want to replace my hoses but want to make sure I get the right stuff.

Glen
    Good question.
    Their listing is still a bit confusing......
    The first part number is the correct pipe, by itself and is $46.95
    The second number is the entire kit with the pipe in question included as shown in the photo.
    you are correct though that the part number is not listed, nor is the pipe in question described on the list.
    Count the parts in the photo, and you will find that there are 9 (2 heater hoses count as 1 part) but only 8 listed.......
    With this pipe added to the photo (This morning!) it is now truly a complete kit $369.95
    Give them a ring, and double check......?
    Mention they need to update the list.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTr View Post
    Last week I ordered 10' this reinforced silicone heater hose from Amazon when my throttle body heater plate started leaking.

.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    A word of caution, I have had some "less than satisfactory" results with Chinese Silicone hoses (that were supplied in New Zealand) on my boat.....
    Here is a US made version....A bit more $$
    Not saying the first one is bad, but I have found ya get what ya pay for............

https://www.amazon.com/High-Performa.../dp/B009PZRIJM

Bolt-- point taken-- the US made has a wall thickness of .16 and the hose I bought has a wall thickness of .11.
    2000 Holland and Holland

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now