Replacement radiator choices. - Page 2
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Replacement radiator choices.

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Re: Replacement radiator choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard_G View Post
    I fitted one of these https://www.direnza.co.uk/land-rover...-radiator.html in my car. Not sure if they will deal with overseas customers but it was defintely worth the money.

It's listed as for 94-98 as the top stub is for the GEMS cars and in the UK a 99 is almost always a Thor with the top hose connection on the opposite side. As the OP has a Callaway, that was based on the GEMS so it is the correct one.

****, that's a good price!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Those are my thoughts as well. I'm curious to see how many others feel the same way.
    1999 & 9/8th's 4.0S (GEMS) 101,000. Died of natural causes.
    1998 Discovery LE Passed on to rock crawler conversion.
    2003 Discovery HSE7 Current Driver.
    1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Callaway (GEMS) #123 158,612 Current Driver.
    ..... at the feast of egos
    everyone leaves hungry .....

SENIOR ROVER

Reinhoud said:

I'm not sure if what I say is true, but I think that a lot of the radiators offered come from the same factory, just different price tags..

I agree with Reinhoud, I think most of this stuff is made in the same factory, probably China, and they just buy it in.

This one looks very similar and ships from the US:-

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/High...e9bebcc69b3b70
    2000 Range Rover 2.5 DSE HP24 auto, uprated torque converter - JFearn chip, larger intercooler, removable winch, stainless exhaust, alloy radiator, Gen III's, Terrafirma +2" shocks, GG AT2's. Faultmate MSV2. Land Rover folding mountain bike with 1000W electric motor.
    ex-1996 Discovery 2.5 300Tdi diesel auto
    ex-1982 Classic 3.86 Perkins diesel manual

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SOPHOMORE ROVER

The Gems and Thor have different radiators. Be aware of this

The radiator saga has come to an end.
    With the help of a very fine and generous member of RangeRovers.net I was able to obtain a Direnza all aluminum tig welded radiator from the UK.
    Replacement radiator choices.-img_20190427_150127681_hdr.jpgThey don’t ship to the US so this member who I once again thank very kindly offered to act as an intermediate drop point and then forward it on to me.
    After receiving it I got myself tuned up with a back epidural a steroid injection in my knee and a new medication so I could be up to the challenge.
    Then out came the old radiator.
    Replacement radiator choices.-img_20190426_141450619_hdr.jpgOf course I didn’t have all the tools I needed. In almost 14 years of driving Land Rovers I have never needed to change a water pump so there for have never needed a 36mm wrench to remove the viscus fan nut. I have one now. I also in my many pry bars and such things had nothing that would work to hold the water pump pulley while loosening the nut. Strap wrenches didn’t work for me either so I had another solution. You might notice it if you look close enough.
    Replacement radiator choices.-img_20190426_141516941_hdr.jpgA 2 inch “C” clamp clamped onto the pulley and allowed to wedge against the web of the water pump. Worked a charm.
    The refit with the new aluminum radiator was all in all pretty good but did have it’s troubling moments.
    The upper side mounts that slide into the support wings are made up of crude pieces of aluminum channel that have been welded to the sides and although the alignment is good the fit to the shaped slots in the steel wings is not.
    So after loosening the oil cooler and mounting bolts for the wings to get more room I spent quite a bit of time carefully prying, pushing, tapping and forming the aluminum tabs to the slots in the wings.
    Replacement radiator choices.-img_20190428_181958082_hdr.jpgAt the bottom end the right-hand bolt mount was a perfect alignment but the nuts welded to the radiator are an m6x15 rather than the factory m8x20. The mounting hole on the left-hand side was perfect horizontally but off about ½” vertically. It was easy enough to push into place with one hand and only moderate force so I don’t think it will be under too much stress to go ahead and bolt up.
    The bottom outlet pipe is at a 90 degree angle which took me a little more effort to get the hose to thermostat on and clamped up. The offset on the factory radiator is easier.
    All together though I’m really very pleased with the radiator and I’m looking forward to putting it to work.
    Replacement radiator choices.-img_20190504_181744974_hdr.jpgStill having pretty cool rainy weather here so it might be a little while before the hot summer temps set in if we get them at all this year.

Bonus round.......
    Since we've had so many rain days I spent a little time installing new drivers in the sub box and cleaning up the old CD changer, got it working a little better.
    Replacement radiator choices.-img_20190428_182130344_hdr.jpg

Banned

How are you liking the Direnza after a year of useage? Mine is due to be replaced, and want to get ahead of any issues. TY.

JUNIOR ROVER

The OP has only had his for a couple of months now but I've had one in my car for almost 2 years. In that time it's done around 40,000 miles all around Europe and has never got anything like hot. It no longer looks all shiny and new like it did when it was first fitted but as I only clean cars when I can no longer tell what colour they are and nobody can see it anyway, I haven't bothered polishing it.
    96 4.6HSE
    98 4.0 Police spec
    and a number of others I maintain for the owners.

Banned

TY! Mine is going into the shop for a new bumper (P38 1, Chevrolet 0), and figured while they were in there......now time to see if they will ship to US yet.

I had my fan come apart on me, taking out the radiator, upper shroud, lower shroud, and upper radiator hose (in addition to throwing chunks through the bonnet).

I just ordered a replacement radiator off ebay for $80.82. I no longer have the secondary air system so didn't get a radiator with the sensor in it.

As Richard_G pointed out I've only had mine for a couple of months now and about 150 miles. In that time no issues whatsoever.
    We've had a very wet and so far cool start to summer, only one day hit 101F the rest have all been around 87 to 97F and the temp gauge has always remained steady as a rock at exactly the halfway point after warm up.
    Couldn't be happier.

Rioja
    Last edited by Rioja Red; June 27th, 2019 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Duplicate word.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now