Fuel pump
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

Thread: Fuel pump

FRESHMAN ROVER

Fuel pump

Hi there. Calling from Norway Have a problem with my p 38 diesel 2000 mod. After having changed gaskets on my leaking fuel injector pump she won't start. After some troubleshooting I figured out that no diesel priming occur, as no diesel comes out of the inlet pipe to the diesel filter on ignition and cranking. Fuse 39 is ok and the fuel relay clicks inn when ignition in position II. There is 12V in one of three cables at the inertia switch when ignition off, and in 2 of 3 cables when ignition on. Faulty fuel pump? Erlend Hallstensen

.... maybe the problem is that Iam testing with body ground? maybe the third cable by the inertia switch is( or should be) the ground from the ECU? I will try to jump this third cable with body ground and see if the pump starts.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SENIOR ROVER

Re: Fuel pump

The FIP should pull diesel through from the tank without the in-tank pump working, as long as the fuel tank level is high - say more than half full. I can't answer the question about the wiring to the in-tank pump as I have not had a problem with mine, but check out the fuel inertia switch. Press down on the rubber cover on top of the switch. If it presses down and you hear a click, that is your problem.
    When it is working, the intank pump should deliver min 180mls in 10 secs according to the manual. I think it goes through relay RL12 so check that out as well.
    Alternatively, it may be not starting because it has lost sync between the engine ECU and the BECM. I know the immobiliser operates the stop solenoid on the FIP, but I am not sure if it stops the in-tank pump as well. It will crank but not start.
    2000 Range Rover 2.5 DSE HP24 auto, uprated torque converter - JFearn chip, larger intercooler, removable winch, stainless exhaust, alloy radiator, Gen III's, Terrafirma +2" shocks, GG AT2's. Faultmate MSV2. Land Rover folding mountain bike with 1000W electric motor.
    ex-1996 Discovery 2.5 300Tdi diesel auto
    ex-1982 Classic 3.86 Perkins diesel manual

Are you testing with the intertia switch connected or not? Easiest way to test the switch is to take it out and check for continuity between WO (pin 1) and WU (pin 3). WO is the supply from the fuel pump relay, WU the output to the pump. The third wire (WP) is to let the BECM know the switch has tripped. The diagram in RAVE is very clear (as is usually the case).

You can easily loosen one of the connections on the fuel filter to check fuel flow. If you don't get flow, check continuity of the pump and/or power it directly. Both can be done at the connector for the inertia switch.

Filip
    4.0 SE manual, 1997, 'Priscilla': current daily
    4.0 SE manual, 1995, 'Piper', built for offroad with tuned 4.6 on MS: lost in fire
    4.6 SE auto, 1995, 'Prue': awaiting attention
    2.5 DT manual, 1996, 'Paige': retired and stripped
    D90 TD5, 2005, 'Nessie' TR2 racer: sold

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Thank you both for replying. To you Dave first: Ive done all the things you have mentioned. Ive tried to sync the becm and the ecu with the sync mate from blackbox, but it was already synced. Whats make me scared is that the Hawkeye says that ecu is locked and when trying to unlock it, it says it can not be unlocked
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fuel pump-6632c753-8f90-4a95-946f-a393a5932696_1553871394433.jpg   Fuel pump-71f8da49-fcbf-4c0b-9c92-efd9291c3d95_1553871452185.jpg  

FRESHMAN ROVER
    And to you Filip. I have tested the switch and it seems to do what it is supposed to according to this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fuel pump-256ac348-81be-448b-bf11-fef5e3b8c7c2_1553871688708.jpg  

JUNIOR ROVER

If the ECU the Hawkeye is referring to is the BeCM rather than the engine ECU, it will be locked. When produced the BeCM is programmed with the details of the car and then locked so someone with the right equipment (Hawkeye, Nanocom, Testbook, etc) can change some settings but not any critical ones. They can be unlocked by someone with the right equipment and knowledge, but ordinarily, locked is how they are.
    96 4.6HSE
    98 4.0 Police spec
    and a number of others I maintain for the owners.

SENIOR ROVER

OK. That rules out lack of sync. The BECM has the correct EMS code from the engine ECU.
    As Richard said, all BECMs are locked from the factory. Only a Faultmate with the SM035 module can unlock critical settings such as mileage, VIN number and FOB code.

Are you still not getting fuel at the filter when you crank it?
    If you have got power at the inertia switch, and still no fuel I think would be looking at the ignition relay next and/or fuse box.

If you have got fuel at the filter and no fuel at the injectors it would point towards the stop solenoid on the FIP.
    2000 Range Rover 2.5 DSE HP24 auto, uprated torque converter - JFearn chip, larger intercooler, removable winch, stainless exhaust, alloy radiator, Gen III's, Terrafirma +2" shocks, GG AT2's. Faultmate MSV2. Land Rover folding mountain bike with 1000W electric motor.

Quote Originally Posted by erleh View Post
    Hi there. Calling from Norway Have a problem with my p 38 diesel 2000 mod. After having changed gaskets on my leaking fuel injector pump she won't start. After some troubleshooting I figured out that no diesel priming occur, as no diesel comes out of the inlet pipe to the diesel filter on ignition and cranking. Fuse 39 is ok and the fuel relay clicks inn when ignition in position II. There is 12V in one of three cables at the inertia switch when ignition off, and in 2 of 3 cables when ignition on. Faulty fuel pump? Erlend Hallstensen

.... maybe the problem is that Iam testing with body ground? maybe the third cable by the inertia switch is( or should be) the ground from the ECU? I will try to jump this third cable with body ground and see if the pump starts.
    Take a few steps back and figure out all the things that was done with the fuel injection pump when the leak was addressed.

Is the pump properly primed? If the in tank pump isn’t working you won’t get it to start by cranking only.
    If it works just pull out the relay and use a jumper wire between terminal 30 and 87 to run it continuously and bleed the FIP at the return line.
    Put the relay back and then using a friend who cranks the engine while you yourself cracks the injector lines at the injectors and hopefully you’ll end up with fuel.

By the way. I like to do the start up with the inlet manifold away from the engine. Makes it a lot easier.

If the in tank pump is broken and you just want it started to rule out everything else you could fill up a smaller container with fuel and let gravity do the priming by mounting the “tank” above the FIP. Just make sure you run the fuel through the existing fuel filter
    1999 P38 2.5DSE

FRESHMAN ROVER
    I’ve blead the FIP through the return line, but proabably I was a bit to eager cause the pipe went empty... I’ve also jumped the relay nr 12 with no sucess on the ITP.
    Now knowing that the ECU by default is locked I am pretty sure it’s the ITP that is broken. Good Idea though to make a «fueltank» close to the FIP.
    Dave,- what’s the idea about the ignition relay?

SENIOR ROVER

I meant the fuel pump relay no.12, but you have done that already.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now