New keys and remotes - might be a useful solution? - Page 3
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: New keys and remotes - might be a useful solution?

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: New keys and remotes - might be a useful solution?

Quote Originally Posted by 95classiclwb View Post
    an update along the lines of replacement keys,

I acquired my 2k p38 about 3 yrs ago, it came with one flip key. A that time, I visited one of 3 local dealerships for an emergency valet key and they proceed to inform me such was not available and I could order a new fob. can't remember the cost.

forward 2 yrs later and while surfing the net, I found blank #s7bw-pn belonging to mid 80's early 90's BMW 7 series will fit the p38 locks. I visited local ACE hardware and they sold me 2 blanks and cut one, the guy had difficulty cutting it but it worked. because of difficulty he decided against cutting the second key. I have been searching for a local locksmith whom can do laser cut I will visit a couple later in the week for a better outcome.

the current valet key hangs a bit and takes a little fiddling but it starts the truck.
    The problem with the Ilco S7BWP is that the cutout 1/2 way down the key is not quite long enough. A much better solution is this off ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-NEW-REPLA...rk:1:pf:0#rwid

Yes they are 4x the cost, but for a valet key they work perfectly. This is Ilco key code HU109FP
    Last edited by 1996P38; February 26th, 2019 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Add key code

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

I was able to purchase a valet key last month from my local dealer in North Carolina. I emailed them the VIN, lock set bar code, copy of title and my drivers license and I was able to pick it up a week later.

SENIOR ROVER

thanks for thead up on the ilco, could be one of the reasons my key cut did not come out as clean, also the guy free handed the cut as the machine did not have the range rover in its code bank.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Update on my fob purchase. I returned the code grabber to the vendor in the UK. It got hung up in customs for a week but finally arrived. They asked me to send photos of my actual key which I did. They promptly responded that they will cut the key as well. I thought that was great. Not sure how they do that with just photos but I'm not complaining. Communication has been excellent with them, even on a Saturday. I hope to have this back to test out in another 7-10 days and will report back again.
    2001 P38 4.6 HSE, Kent Green/Light Stone

Quote Originally Posted by annette View Post
    Marty, you know you will always be my nº 1 for any lock stuff, because I can only give you a 5 star recomendation.
    Now this guy is selling me a heap of spares and I will get back to you, private or public whatever you prefer.

He has promised spmething very interesting we will see what happens

PS I presonally think his keys are too expensive. And why 'grab' the key if the bar code comes with your EKA information???
    The fob code doesn't come from the EKA information. It comes from the lockset barcode information - which currently if you can find a dealer who even knows what it is, has to be sent off to someone like BBS to translate it into the fob code (who you have to have an account with - which if you own their faultmate etc then you have access to getting the code translated).

The fob code can be pulled from the BECM by the faultmate/SM035 direct CPU access - but this obviously requires the BECM to be present to obtain the code (and even then it's only the Key 1 code).

The sniffer will record the data that the key for that vehicle is currently transmitting - and it probably is programmed with the algorithm that the keys use, so it can decipher what the code is from that key - so it can then be programmed into another unit.

I'm glad he's able to service you with parts - I have been taking a fairly large step back of late as work seems to be getting busier, other things in life have changed which means my motivation is not what it used to be either. Also at the point where things like latches, I have very few about to make working units - as people just don't return their old ones for me to work on, and at the price I do recon latches for, the time it takes to clean all the parts and refurb them - I'd be losing money if I were to keep buying second hand latches just to strip and rebuild.

Nick and myself are still hoping to look into other options on keys - but as mentioned before - as we both work full time, and have other things going on outside of work and RR's - it's tough to find lots of time to dedicate to it.
    ------------------------------------------------
    '01 4.6 Vogue Black/Lightstone "Snog" -- Bought Jan 2012
    '99 4.6 HSE Cobar Blue/Lightstone -- Sold March 2009
    '95 4.6 HSE Epsom Green/Tan -- Traded June 2008
    http://p38webshop.co.uk

FRESHMAN ROVER

It works!!!!

I just received my replacement fob/key from Classic Rides of North Wales and it works.

I ordered the key online from their website.

315MHz for North American P38

I gave them my 14 digit lock set code for the keys and the FOB code. The information I had when I purchased the P38 was from a print out of specs of the vehicle that was given to the second owner at time of purchase. It has the 14 digit Lock Set Bar Code as well as the 3 digit FOB code. In the past I had Scotty unlock the BeCM and his sheet with the details the FOB code had 3 different sets of 3 digit codes. The middle set was the same as the FOB code that came with the print out from the dealer.

I gave Classic Rides of North Wales all this information. This is the only thing I gave them. I did not send them an old non-working fob or any type of receiver.

I also asked them to cut the key.

They emailed me saying they were having difficulties cutting the key since they could not get the information from Land Rover. They asked me to send a picture of a key. I did send them a picture.

They emailed me on March 8th that they had shipped it and it arrived March 18th her in North Carolina.

The physical key works in the door lock and the ignition.

After sinking the key the remote work.

It is not a flip style key. It is the style I believe the Discovery's came with. I did ask them to do a flip key if possible. Regardless I'm happy with the key and having a working FOB.

I did look inside thinking I would need to put a battery in it. It already had a battery installed. The battery is much smaller and there is only one so most likely it will not have as long of life as the original.

Here is their website.

http://www.crnw.co.uk

FRESHMAN ROVER

I'm updating my prior post rather than start a new thread. I received the new key fob from Les and after a quick sync it functions perfectly. They cut the key as well from a photo of mine at no extra charge. To say I'm pleased is an understatement. Their communication has been stellar from the beginning. If you only have one fob, now is the time.
    2001 P38 4.6 HSE, Kent Green/Light Stone

I want to confirm what Glen and Ken said about the new FOB's they received from Les-- my new FOB works.

I simply sent Les my Lock set BAR code -which I got from my dealer- and a few photos of my key. In less then two weeks he sent me a new fixed key FOB (not a flip out style). No issues syncing it.

Now I have two working FOB's for my rescued P38.

Not important- but a head scratcher- After I synced and tried out my new FOB, I then used my OEM FOB to lock/unlock the doors and then quickly attempted to lock/unlock my doors with my new FOB. I found that I had to wait at least 20 seconds before the second FOB would actually work the locks.

This also happens if I first used the new FOB and then tried to use my OEM FOB. I repeated my attempts a number of times- even re-syncing the second FOB when it did not work. I started to think that only one synced FOB would work at a time.

I could use the first FOB to work the locks repeatedly without any pause.

By luck-- on one attempt, I waited about 20 seconds before using the second FOB and then both worked in sequence. I repeated this a number of times switching off which FOB I used first. The second FOB would work the locks only if you wait 20 seconds between FOBs.

As I said- you would probably never use two FOB's in sequence- just thought it was P38 weird.
    2000 Holland and Holland

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now