New guy here, offered a free P38. What to do?
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

    Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!
     
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 54

Thread: New guy here, offered a free P38. What to do?

  1. #1
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    January 22nd, 2019
    Posts
    15

    New guy here, offered a free P38. What to do?

    Hi all, I'm not at all new to cars, but am very new to Rovers. I recently had a coworker offer me a 1997 Range Rover 4.0 HSE that hasn't seen the road in two years. It's mine if I can get it out of her driveway, and apparently was driven to its current resting spot. I'm going to look at it in a few days and wanted to ask advice on what to look for?

    I'll get a lot of questions answered when I see it up close, I know the air suspension was removed and replaced with standard springs and shocks, no details on the setup and hoping it wasn't a backyard job. Supposedly no rust and the interior is clean, it belonged to her ex and is now just an eyesore. I'm not one to typically refuse a free car, but I discovered the beauty of an old, reliable Toyota 4Runner many years ago and it's been a nice stress reliever after many years of frustrating Audi/Volvo/Subaru ownership.

    I'm expecting to find:

    - Mystery suspension
    - Electrical problems
    - Coolant leaks
    - ?

    I'm searching the forums as time permits and finding some useful information for sure, but haven't been able to find a comprehensive "buyers guide" type of posting, especially for a situation like this. I'm happy to share my experience with all of you if I decide to lug this guy home.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    SOPHOMORE ROVER
    Join Date
    March 2nd, 2015
    Location
    tasmania australia
    Posts
    339

    Re: New guy here, offered a free P38. What to do?

    take a very good battery with you , reset the windows , sunroof, read the alarms on the dash go from there.

  4. #3
    JUNIOR ROVER
    Join Date
    October 17th, 2017
    Location
    East England
    Posts
    869

    Re: New guy here, offered a free P38. What to do?

    You don't know why it was parked up in the first place but if it was driven to where it is now, there shouldn't be a lot wrong with it. You know about the springs, conversion is a pretty simple job so unlikely to have been botched (other than having springs fitted in the first place). There may be electrical problems but they shouldn't stop it from being driven, no reason why there should be coolant leaks either and a P38 rarely rusts unless parked near the sea. BUT, to prevent it going into lockdown, you need to be careful when you connect a battery. Assume it was locked when the battery went flat so as soon as a battery is reconnected it will revert to the same state. So, unlock the door with the key, open the bonnet then close and relock the door (keeping the key in your pocket). Connect the biggest, best, fully charged battery you can lay your hands on. The door latches with probably operate, then and only then, unlock the door again. If the central locking works that is a good sign. Check the coolant and oil levels and top up if needed. Put the key in the ignition, turn it on and see what the dash display says. You'll get numerous beeps and windows not set messages and probably an EAS Manual message (due to the springs). If that is all you get it should fire up. If it comes up with Keycode Lockout, you'll need to leave it for 10 minutes for that to go out. Then see what the dash tells you.
    96 4.6HSE
    98 4.0 Police spec
    and a number of others I maintain for the owners.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    January 22nd, 2019
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard_G View Post
    You don't know why it was parked up in the first place but if it was driven to where it is now, there shouldn't be a lot wrong with it. You know about the springs, conversion is a pretty simple job so unlikely to have been botched (other than having springs fitted in the first place). There may be electrical problems but they shouldn't stop it from being driven, no reason why there should be coolant leaks either and a P38 rarely rusts unless parked near the sea. BUT, to prevent it going into lockdown, you need to be careful when you connect a battery. Assume it was locked when the battery went flat so as soon as a battery is reconnected it will revert to the same state. So, unlock the door with the key, open the bonnet then close and relock the door (keeping the key in your pocket). Connect the biggest, best, fully charged battery you can lay your hands on. The door latches with probably operate, then and only then, unlock the door again. If the central locking works that is a good sign. Check the coolant and oil levels and top up if needed. Put the key in the ignition, turn it on and see what the dash display says. You'll get numerous beeps and windows not set messages and probably an EAS Manual message (due to the springs). If that is all you get it should fire up. If it comes up with Keycode Lockout, you'll need to leave it for 10 minutes for that to go out. Then see what the dash tells you.
    This is great, thanks! I’ll definitely follow these instructions. I have a spare battery that should do the job. I’m looking forward to seeing what works and what doesn’t.

  7. #5
    Premium Member Escape's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 4th, 2007
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,184

    Re: New guy here, offered a free P38. What to do?

    A few things to add: after you connect the battery (with doors locked), the central locking should operate when you unlock the driver's door with the key. If it doesn't, try synchronize the remote and lock/unlock again. If you can't get the central locking to work, you'll probably have to enter the EKA code to enable the immobiliser. Might be a good idea to go through the paperwork and try and find the EKA and learn how to enter it before you actually try to start it. You'll only need to wait for 10 (usually 30) minutes for the keycode lockout if you enter a wrong EKA and try to start.

    Coolant and oil shouldn't be a problem, but it's a good idea to check and have a look at the drive belt etc just to make sure it's free to turn.

    Best of luck and keep us posted!

    Filip
    4.0 SE manual, 1997, 'Priscilla': current daily
    4.0 SE manual, 1995, 'Piper', built for offroad with tuned 4.6 on MS: lost in fire
    4.6 SE auto, 1995, 'Prue': awaiting attention
    2.5 DT manual, 1996, 'Paige': retired and stripped
    D90 TD5, 2005, 'Nessie' TR2 racer: sold

  8. #6
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    May 9th, 2016
    Location
    Rutland, UK
    Posts
    46

    Re: New guy here, offered a free P38. What to do?

    Is it hers to give away?

    You say it belonged to her ex - does it still?
    2001 4.6 Vogue

  9. #7
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    March 18th, 2012
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    80

    Re: New guy here, offered a free P38. What to do?

    Where are you located? I'll take the truck off her hands
    2011 LR4
    2000 Disco II
    1998 P38
    1997 P38
    1995 NAS 90

  10. #8
    JUNIOR ROVER
    Join Date
    April 24th, 2006
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    860

    Re: New guy here, offered a free P38. What to do?

    Quote Originally Posted by RutlandRover View Post
    Is it hers to give away?

    You say it belonged to her ex - does it still?
    No kidding! Assuming you are in the US, get a signed-off title before investing anything.
    '99 Range Rover HSE
    '02 Audi S6

  11. #9
    FRESHMAN ROVER Vancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 10th, 2015
    Location
    Memphis, TN USA
    Posts
    94

    Re: New guy here, offered a free P38. What to do?

    I too recommend you get the title business squared away, first thing. Then download RAVE (it's a free workshop manual that includes P38s; search for link in this forum). Be sure the driver's door is open and let the driver's window down before you close the door. Of concern then, is, the window going back up. When you are locked out of a Rangie, you are truly locked out. Good luck.
    2002 Range Rover P38 4.6 HSE LHD Petro
    2013 BMW F10 528i
    1986 Jaguar XJ6 4.2 (Federal)
    1969 VW Type 3 Squareback ("Variant")

    You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it think.

    It takes two to tangle.

  12. #10
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    January 22nd, 2019
    Posts
    15
    Of course I plan to check on the title, I’ve had the same thought since this offer came up! It’s a good friend that I’ve worked with for several years. She has her stuff together, he ended up being more of a deadbeat over the years. Not sure how that bodes for the maintenance of this poor Rover.

    I’m going to see it Friday morning and plan to give it a good look with a strong battery, fresh gas, a good flashlight, and a few basic tools. Of course, if there’s title issues I’m probably much less interested. Thanks a ton for the advice on the central locking system, but what does EKA stand for?

    I’ll update you guys after I’ve seen it!

  13. #11
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    May 10th, 2016
    Location
    Surrey, BC, Canada
    Posts
    201
    EKA stands for Emergency Key Access, a code you enter by turning the key in the driver's door a specified number of times to the right and to the left. It seems that most North American P38s were never programmed to accept an EKA so would not spend time on that.

  14. #12
    SOPHOMORE ROVER
    Join Date
    November 10th, 2016
    Location
    Tasmania
    Posts
    287

    Re: New guy here, offered a free P38. What to do?

    When you connect the battery, make sure you have the keys on you!! Not in the car with the doors closed.
    As soon the system is powered up the doors lock automaticly..

  15. #13
    JUNIOR ROVER
    Join Date
    October 17th, 2017
    Location
    East England
    Posts
    869

    Re: New guy here, offered a free P38. What to do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reinhoud View Post
    As soon the system is powered up the doors lock automaticly..
    But only if the car was locked when the battery went flat. As I mentioned before, it will always return to the state it was in when the power went off so if it was locked, it will lock, if it was unlocked it stays that way.
    96 4.6HSE
    98 4.0 Police spec
    and a number of others I maintain for the owners.

  16. #14
    SOPHOMORE ROVER
    Join Date
    November 10th, 2016
    Location
    Tasmania
    Posts
    287

    Re: New guy here, offered a free P38. What to do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard_G View Post
    But only if the car was locked when the battery went flat. As I mentioned before, it will always return to the state it was in when the power went off so if it was locked, it will lock, if it was unlocked it stays that way.
    Mine also locks when car was unlocked, I'm quite sure, but now I have to test that.

  17. #15
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    March 18th, 2012
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    80

    Re: New guy here, offered a free P38. What to do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordo51 View Post
    EKA stands for Emergency Key Access, a code you enter by turning the key in the driver's door a specified number of times to the right and to the left. It seems that most North American P38s were never programmed to accept an EKA so would not spend time on that.
    That’s not quite true. NAS trucks were programmed at the dealer with EKA 1515.
    2011 LR4
    2000 Disco II
    1998 P38
    1997 P38
    1995 NAS 90

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Similar Threads

  1. Road Hazard Plan offered by dealer....
    By MRover in forum Range Rover Sport / L320
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: July 28th, 2009, 11:47 PM
  2. I got offered 36500 for trade in 2004 Westminster??!
    By nitty917 in forum Range Rover Mark III / L322
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: May 31st, 2007, 03:03 PM
  3. Dealer offered me @$35k tradein on my '03 Rangie
    By johnh in forum Range Rover Mark III / L322
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: February 2nd, 2006, 06:27 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0