Bringing my P38 back to life. - Page 3
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Bringing my P38 back to life.

Premium Member
    Today’s off-road adventure ended badly, I have a run ability issue that left us stranded about 14 miles in the woods away from the nearest paved road. Luckily had a coworker out ridding by us who towed us back to payment and then had a flatbed come get the truck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bringing my P38 back to life.-2dbfaf04-7345-422e-b3ea-4ce4e5291d6e_1542586044111.jpg   Bringing my P38 back to life.-6d7b4732-ade1-4c7d-8be9-513e21108577_1542586052059.jpg  
    98’ P38 4.0: Current
    00' P38 4.0: Sold
    99' P38 4.0: Gone
    93' RRC LWB: Sold

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Bringing my P38 back to life.

Have you decided how to restore the bush guard. If not I was very happy with a product I found that turned one that was completely gray from a salvage yard to looking factory fresh.

The company is Detail King and it it is the Trim Kote black. It also is great on the door handles and the back trim pieces that wrap around each side of the black glass.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KeninNC View Post
    Have you decided how to restore the bush guard. If not I was very happy with a product I found that turned one that was completely gray from a salvage yard to looking factory fresh.

The company is Detail King and it it is the Trim Kote black. It also is great on the door handles and the back trim pieces that wrap around each side of the black glass.
    I am going to install a winch bumper so the brush guard isn’t being restored.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Premium Member
    The Rover is finally back from the fuel pump being replaced but not the gas gauge has stopped working. AC compressor sounds like it’s about to come apart so that’s a high priority issue now.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Leo View Post
    I am going to install a winch bumper so the brush guard isn’t being restored.
    Not one "endorsed" by MileMarker I'm guessing?
    Fellow Floridian joke from many years ago....
    Last edited by leftlanetruckin; January 3rd, 2019 at 09:12 PM.
    '98 P38 HSE, with 385hp/385ft lbs of LSx under the hood. Fully functional HVAC, EAS, etc.
    '11 L322 SC
    '04 DiscoII - wheeling rig
    '02 P38, '79 924 for the kids.
    Custom fabrication, engine rebuilds and knowledge that comes from experience and not Google, always available for a reasonable cost.

Premium Member

Took the Rover for a little trail ridding today and let little Doctor Leo work on his aim. We are still working on the basics of barrel control, safety usage and cocking then BB gun by himself.

I have ordered a replacement ac compressor for mine that sounds like it is ready to let go anytime. As soon as boat show season cools off I’m going to start ordering the new suspension and winch/Terrafirma winch bumper.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bringing my P38 back to life.-9a018882-9099-480a-92e1-9ec8281bbac0.jpg   Bringing my P38 back to life.-85d900a5-b372-4e4f-80a6-6156e86f439d.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Leo View Post
    I did a little diag tonight since the rain has finally stopped. The done lights are timing out after a while so that’s a none issue. The failed fuse 10 is definitely a false error the fuse in the holder is good (verified with multi-meter) and correct amperage rating. So need to look into this a little more before condemning the BECM.

Did further testing of the door locks. Only the drivers rear door is not responding to the lock and unlock command from the front doors. Is there anyway I can test that the actuator on the rear is receiving a voltage when I cycle the front locks? Is it as simple as testing for a 12v signal voltage? I just want to verify it’s a bad lock actuator before buying a assembly.

Here is a storm damage photo from last night. My drive got wet...
    there is a latch testing stickie above.
    "The power of good is always stronger than the power of non-good.
    The power of light is stronger than the power of darkness,
    the power of knowledge is stronger than the power of ignorance."
    ~ Maharishi Mahesh Yogi~

Premium Member
    Well the P38 left me stranded again, unfortunately I don’t think it’s fit for my purpose of a trail vehicle so I’m looking at possibly moving into a L322 (07-09) or a LR4 for trail use. I’m going to keep the P38 and just slowly fix it up over time but it won’t see any action off payment again. It will make a great marina/range car.

JUNIOR ROVER

A well maintained P38 will walk all over an L322 in capability and reliability. What broke this time?
    96 4.6HSE
    98 4.0 Police spec
    and a number of others I maintain for the owners.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard_G View Post
    A well maintained P38 will walk all over an L322 in capability and reliability. What broke this time?
    I suspect the fuel pump again, unfortunately there is only one available for my vehicle from Atlantic British.

JUNIOR ROVER

A common fail on the 98 era fusebox is losing the connection to the fuel pump relay. This makes the relay operation, and consequently, the fuel pump intermittent. Bouncing it around on rough surfaces are likely to make it happen more regularly. With the engine running, try wobbling the fuel pump relay in it's socket. You'll be able to feel it switching even if it doesn't switch off long enough for the engine to die. If the fuel pump itself is intermittent, which is pretty rare as they will usually work or die, then on a GEMS there is nothing to stop you putting an external pump in the fuel line next to the filter. As long as it is capable of supplying sufficient pressure and flow, the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail will deal with the pressure.
    96 4.6HSE
    98 4.0 Police spec
    and a number of others I maintain for the owners.

Premium Member
    Just an update that there is nothing to update you guys on right now!

I’ve bought a new fuel pump, coil springs and a few other things for the Rover just haven’t had time to install them. My company sent me to open a new location from scratch and that has consumed most of my free time! Hope to at least get the fuel pump in this month.

Once I get these items done it will be time for a respray and a little cosmetic restoration.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now