Coolant leak from cylinder head to top hose
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Coolant leak from cylinder head to top hose

FRESHMAN ROVER

Coolant leak from cylinder head to top hose

Hi,
    On my m51 2.5td engine I have a bad coolant leak from the top hose to cylinder head.
    Upon checking this, the leak is from the alloy tube that is press fit in to the cylinder head, it was that corroded that I was able to wiggle it out from cylinder head.

I contacted a Land rover dealership, only to be told that this part is not available separately, and I would have to buy a new cylinder head !

The tube is split/corroded along most of it's length, so is not repairable.

Any ideas where I can obtain one ?

Thanks,
    Paul.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Coolant leak from cylinder head to top hose

Sadly, dealers are useless when it comes to fixing things like this.
    Possibly you could find a fitter / turner to make one for you to spec?
    Then using a bit of liquid steel type product (to be doubly sure) , press it back in.
    Alternatively, remove the head and bring it to the fitter and have him make one and press it in.
    1952 Austin Champ (Hawaii)
    1953 Austin Champ (Australia)
    1985 Classic w/ Tdi300 (Australia)
    2002 4.6 HSE, White "Bolt" Hawaii Daily driver. Now the "Boat Car" here on the West Coast
    2002 4.6 HSE Borrego Yellow "Digby" Wife has absconded with Borrego as the Dog Taxi

JUNIOR ROVER

I’m sure there’s a way of putting a fitting into the hole, does it have to be metal all the way, could it not be changed to rubber once an appropriate fitting is found.
    going to have a look at my neighbours dse to see what pipe your talking about

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SENIOR ROVER

I have heard of other owners having problems with the pipe leaking but it is not a common problem. It shows the importance of having fresh coolant with corrosion inhibitors in it.
    As I understand it, the pipe is either cast into the head or pressed in at the BMW factory during the manufacturing process. I am fairly certain it is not screwed in.
    It should be possible to have it drilled out at a machine shop and have it tapped to take a piece of pipe.
    I have got a spare engine and and I have just had a look at the head. There isn't much meat around that area but it looks doable. The pipe is non magnetic so is probably alloy as you said.
    What ever you do, the head has to come off which means new head gasket and stretch bolts and while you are at it you might as well replace the timing chain and tensioners.
    You are into fair amount of expense and labour. It maybe easier to source a secondhand head. I wouldn't pay more than £100 for one in the UK.
    Put down your location.
    2000 Range Rover 2.5 DSE HP24 auto, uprated torque converter - JFearn chip, larger intercooler, removable winch, stainless exhaust, alloy radiator, Gen III's, Terrafirma +2" shocks, GG AT2's. Faultmate MSV2. Land Rover folding mountain bike with 1000W electric motor.
    ex-1996 Discovery 2.5 300Tdi diesel auto
    ex-1982 Classic 3.86 Perkins diesel manual

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thanks for all your replies.

I have today phoned several suppliers and reconditioners, and I was told that BMW supply a new head with the tube, and the tube is not pressed in to the head.
    The tube cannot be bought separately, so the other option is to get a workshop to turn a tube down to the correct size.

Paul.

SENIOR ROVER

............ so the tube is screwed into the head?
    2000 Range Rover 2.5 DSE HP24 auto, uprated torque converter - JFearn chip, larger intercooler, removable winch, stainless exhaust, alloy radiator, Gen III's, Terrafirma +2" shocks, GG AT2's. Faultmate MSV2. Land Rover folding mountain bike with 1000W electric motor.

FRESHMAN ROVER

The tube is pressed in to the head like a core plug.
    In the end i extracted the tube from my spare engine and used some bearing and thread lock to bond and seal the tube to the head.

Paul.

SENIOR ROVER

OK, thanks.

FRESHMAN ROVER

ETC6547 from Powerfull_uk on ebay £4.50. I had to fit one to my DHSE a few years ago after all else failed, this one is for, I believe for a V8 Classic, I tapped a thread in the head, but found the hole a little large, so pipe thread didn't bite too well, so took up the slack with plastic metal, the type that comes as strip like a putty which then hardens, as I said, a few years now and tens of thousands of miles and still good. Still got the old rotten one on my desk, rotted away the full length one side.
    Cheers John
    1999 P38A DHSE Autobiography MKIII Navigation
    1998 P38A DSE (remapped chip)
    2002 L322 Vogue (Bluetooth + MkIV satnav)

SENIOR ROVER

the replacement shows it screws into the head. a visit and conversation to a local machine shop or bmw/ land rover specialty repair shop may be wise

FRESHMAN ROVER

On the Bmw m51 engine fitted to the p38, the original tube has no thread, it is pressed in like a core plug.

Petrol engine models may be different ?

Paul.

SENIOR ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_p38 View Post
    On the Bmw m51 engine fitted to the p38, the original tube has no thread, it is pressed in like a core plug.

Petrol engine models may be different ?

Paul.

nah all of the v8's have bolt on pipes onto the intake manifold, we did not receive any of the factory diesels or manual transmissions in the us. that is not to say that 20 yrs later some p38's have not been converted to diesel and manual, as other rover models have.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I have the same issue, the pipe has just corroded away. It is press fitted into the head and after a bit of wiggling around I have managed to get it out. However it is so knackered it is difficult to get a good measurement. Approx 86mm long and 34.2mm diameter at the head end the ribbed end is 39.2mm at the top of the ribs. I am going see if I can get one made or if not try a plumbing fitting that will screw in making its own thread. Nobody seems to stock them or make them and there must be a demand as these engines get older. If I have any luck I will post it up here.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Ok after a lot of searching and finding pictures showing the pipe along with cylinder heads it seemed that you could only get the pipe with a cylinder head which is not at all useful. Land Rover never sold it as a spare part so none of the places like Rimmer Brothers have them as old stock, BMW will only sell you it with a cylinder head for shed loads of cash. So I then looked for engine builders and re-manufacturers and hit the jackpot first time with Turner Engineering. They have managed to get the pipe on its own from one of the companies that supplies them and they have also added it to their website as a purchasable part. I have ordered one that with the vat and delivery comes to £22 once it is here I will update again to let everyone know how it goes. I guess it will be crossed fingers until I finally have it in my hand and then fitted.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Liteboy,
    Good find !
    I have also just ordered the pipe from Turner Engineering, after seeing your post.

Paul.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now