Alternator voltage 120 vs 150 amp?
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Alternator voltage 120 vs 150 amp?

FOUNDING MEMBER

Alternator voltage 120 vs 150 amp?

from the Electrical troubleshooting sticky, does it matter if you have a 120amp Vs 150 amp?
    from the sticky :
    - Voltage should be 14.2 to 14.4 volts. Anything less provides only a partial charge. If it is 14.1 or less volts, it needs to be fixed.
    do both alternators use the same volts for testing?
    btw, i have the 120 amp
    thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Alternator voltage 120 vs 150 amp?

I could be totally off here... but I'd go with the 150 if you need to replace one.

But yeah... amps don't effect volts. A good way to think about it is like a pipe. Volts represents the size of the pipe... amps represents the amount of liquid being pushed through the pipe.

It's been awhile since I switched from electrical engineering to business... so please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Crooked Rod Charters www.crookedrod.com
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss
    But yeah... amps don't effect volts. A good way to think about it is like a pipe. Volts represents the size of the pipe... amps represents the amount of liquid being pushed through the pipe.

It's been awhile since I switched from electrical engineering to business... so please correct me if I'm wrong.

If viewing electrics as liquid, how about pipe size being resistance to flow, volts being pressure and amps being flow rate?

Nothing otherwise constructive to the OP but I thought it could be my turn to be available for correction..........

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Premium Member

Should be similar readings but depends on the draw from other electronics. I can't say you see 14v with a 120. From the 150A alternators on Td5 Discovery and Defenders, you usually see a full 14v or so when testing. I've never seen 14v from my 100A alternator on my early p38, more like 13.8v. It has struggled a few times this winter, so I suspect that's why the 120A alternators were used as well, and then the 150A ones on the later Thor engines.

For the record, I've NEVER seen 14.4 v consistenly on my 150a rebuilt alternator. I normally hang around 13.9-14.1.
    Crooked Rod Charters www.crookedrod.com
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait

FOUNDING MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss
    For the record, I've NEVER seen 14.4 v consistenly on my 150a rebuilt alternator. I normally hang around 13.9-14.1.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich998a
    Should be similar readings but depends on the draw from other electronics. I can't say you see 14v with a 120. From the 150A alternators on Td5 Discovery and Defenders, you usually see a full 14v or so when testing. I've never seen 14v from my 100A alternator on my early p38, more like 13.8v. It has struggled a few times this winter, so I suspect that's why the 120A alternators were used as well, and then the 150A ones on the later Thor engines.
    so, can i assume that the voltage numbers in the sticky are not realistic for a 120a alternator? can someone confirm that for a 120a?
    is 13.5-13.7v bad or requires fixing for a 120a alternator?

SOPHOMORE ROVER

If you get more volts at the battery witht eh engine runnig than you do stopped then I for one would not go and buy a new alternator.
    P38A DHSE shiped UK to SA, very rare in SA!

JUNIOR ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by waveydavey
    If you get more volts at the battery witht eh engine runnig than you do stopped then I for one would not go and buy a new alternator.
    Could you explain that statement.You should get a lower voltage across the battery with the engine not running as opposed to running.
    John W
    1995 4.6hse
    Enjoy it!!

SOPHOMORE ROVER

An alternator should always give out about the same voltage, being the voltage at which a lead-acid battery (like those in a car) charges best. This is around 14V. The amperage the alternator can deliver is merely an indication of under what load it can still supply that charging voltage.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now