Transmission Shifting Oddly - Advice please.
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Transmission Shifting Oddly - Advice please.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Transmission Shifting Oddly - Advice please.

Hello Everyone and Happy New Year!

As the post title says, I have been experiencing a problem with my transmission shifting - it is a ZF4HP24 as I have a 2000 RR Vogue with the 4.6 Engine.(Bosch)

This has been an intermittent problem that has been haunting me the last three months, but now it has become constant. What the problem is, is that from a standing start, the transmission will shift sweet as you please, but as you accelerate and go through the gears, it appears to 'hang' on third gear and is very reluctant to shift to fourth. Previously, as I accelerated, i would see a shift between gears at 60kph and 2100RPM, but now I have to continue accelerating so as it appears that the Tachometer and Speedo are synchronized but I do see a very short shift when in the 70-80kph range and the RPM settle to where they normally would be. By short shift, I mean it goes through two gear changes in rapid succession. I am down to my last few ideas, but none are really practical without draining the transmission and inspecting the valve body/galleries for gunk or blockages.

By reading this forum and conducting many searches, here is what I have checked so far:

-'SPORT' Button - this is not depressed and I have nothing to indicate it engaged - when I do press it, the information displayed indicates that I am now in SPORT mode and the 'hang' up is still evident.
    -MAF Sensor - this has been thoughrally cleaned with CRC MAF cleaner and is now spotless.
    -Transmission Fluid Level - I have checked the records I have and DexIII was used to fill the transmission. I have checked the fluid level per the guideline provided in RAVE and workshop manual - what fluid did drip from the plug was clean with no odd smell.
    -Throttle Position Sensor - this was a long shot, but the potentiometer as a smooth resistance curve when tested with my multimeter.
    -EAT ECU volatile memory - this was suggested by a mate and as it cost nothing, I tried disconnecting the battery per procedure and reconnecting an hour or so later. No change.
    -I have inspected all of the plugs located on the transmission and could not find anything amiss, I gave them all a squirt of electrical contact cleaner anyway on the off chance that there was a bad contact.
    -The transfer case change to Low Range works perfectly with no errors observed and same in Manual mode. The shifter cable does not appear to have any undue slack and all changes to gear are reflected in the Binnacle information display.

So guys - where do I go from here? I am thinking my next course of action is to drain the tranny and drop the valve block to check the shift solenoids and clean the galleries of the valve block. This is really the last option in my mind and I am game to try anything that you could suggest. Lets hear those ideas!

Cheers!

Nick
    2000 Range Rover Vogue 4.6L HSE Mica Blue."Bluey"
    LAND ROVER fanatic from back in my Series 3 days.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Transmission Shifting Oddly - Advice please.

If you need to check records, you don't seem to have exact knowlegde on the transmission maintenance, so that's a good and easy place to start: replace oil and filter and see if things improve.
    4.0 SE manual, 1997, 'Priscilla': current daily
    4.0 SE manual, 1995, 'Piper', built for offroad with tuned 4.6 on MS: lost in fire
    4.6 SE auto, 1995, 'Prue': awaiting attention
    2.5 DT manual, 1996, 'Paige': retired and stripped
    D90 TD5, 2005, 'Nessie' TR2 racer: sold

JUNIOR ROVER

i would agree, easy stuff first, oil and filter change.
    2001 P38 Vogue

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Escape
    If you need to check records, you don't seem to have exact knowlegde on the transmission maintenance, so that's a good and easy place to start: replace oil and filter and see if things improve.
    Well, you have me on that one! Unfortunately with a new baby in the house, my lack of sleep is begining to show! The transmission fluid and filter were replaced only six months ago when serviced and I was only assuring myself and those interested that it had been filled with the correct AT Fluid for these beasts - sorry for neglecting to mention that. I am keen to see what other opinions there may be as to the source of my wo. Thanks for your suggestion, it is certainly on my list of 'What do I try now?!?'

Cheers!
    Nick

Mine does the same... Was actually blaming the weather a bit - real cold winter - but I'm also fearing the converter might have experienced its "expiration date"...

changed oil and filter 3 months ago - change it every 40.000km - old oil was ok - clear without odeur LOL...

Life is never boring with a Range Rover - this morning the one of the cabinfans starting making noises....
    Life is never boring with a Range Rover

Ferdinand

Range Rover P38A 4.6 HSE - 03/2000
    BMW Z3 3.0iA Sport Edition - 05/2002

SOPHOMORE ROVER

If you don't have access to a scan tool that will show live trans data, then you will have to pay someone to do it for you.

The burning question here would be, do the shifts happen when they are commanded by the ECU or not. If they are, then it is possibly an input sensor to the trans ECU. But, if the commands are on time, and the ratio change does not happen during the command, then internal failure is a possibility. Hope you can find a reputable shop in your area that can diagnose it for you.

Tom
    2005 RR HSE Alveston Red/Charcoal('06 wheels/badges)
    1999 RR 4.6 HSE Chawton White/Lightstone
    1998 RR 4.6 HSE Oxford Blue/Lightstone (project/sold, but learned alot from her)

If it has tits or tires, your gonna have problems with it.

Premium Member

Ashcroft Transmissions questions the wisdom of oil/filter change and its certainly been the case with mine that there is a school of thought that the change in filter is itself the problem, oil change is fine but the old/existing filter may be doing a better job than the new one. although in your case 6 months after the change doesn't quite fit with this, anyway i did think it was interesting hope you think so too. bottom of page http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk ... ductId=221
    Larry S
    1995 4.6 HSE

Quote Originally Posted by LarryS
    Ashcroft Transmissions questions the wisdom of oil/filter change and its certainly been the case with mine that there is a school of thought that the change in filter is itself the problem, oil change is fine but the old/existing filter may be doing a better job than the new one. although in your case 6 months after the change doesn't quite fit with this, anyway i did think it was interesting hope you think so too. bottom of page http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk ... ductId=221
    I know of this debate, but always heard it the other way round: new oil wil dislogde old debris and the old filter might not be able to cope. Off course, it would be impossible to change the filter without changing the oil.
    On my car I change it regularly, if I thought the PO had not done so, I would change it twice in short succession or flush it, to get any dislogde debris out and start as clean as possible.
    4.0 SE manual, 1997, 'Priscilla': current daily
    4.0 SE manual, 1995, 'Piper', built for offroad with tuned 4.6 on MS: lost in fire
    4.6 SE auto, 1995, 'Prue': awaiting attention
    2.5 DT manual, 1996, 'Paige': retired and stripped
    D90 TD5, 2005, 'Nessie' TR2 racer: sold

FRESHMAN ROVER

Hello Again!
    Sorry for going 'off the radar' - been caught up in a bit of a whirlwind at work this last week. But, I wanted to thank everyone for their advice - the posted link for Ashcroft has made for some interesting reading. Just to update where I am at, I have changed the transmission oil and filter as per RAVE instructions and using the correct fluid and fluid level is good but my shifting difficulties have not changed. I am going to continue to research and peck away at this problem, but if anyone has a new idea to throw my way, chuck me a PM or add to this thread - I'm game to listen and will update if I can find/diagnose the root of the problem.
    Cheers!
    Nick

rod
    FRESHMAN ROVER

hi guys, hope I can use this topic to mention a another problem with our transmissions in the p38`s. The shifting in my-98 4.0 is of a different character. when the transmission changes upwards to third it does so in a normal matter,but when its shifting in to fourth the engine revs up a bit ( 1000-1500 rpm`s) before in goes in to fourth. I have changed the oil and filter several times since I bought it 7 years ago. I should also mention that the problem has been there since I bought it and hasn`t change to the worse neither to the better. I have a theory that it is a electronic fault as the gearbox valveblock is linked electronicly to the engine. As earlier ZF boxes with the same spec. but without the electronic link to the engine (as in the classic) never had this problem. Ideas someone?

robert
    -98 Range Rover 4.0 S
    -96 Discovery 2,5 Tdi
    -78 Range Rover 2,5 Tdi
    -78 Range Rover V8
    -53 Series 1

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now