Tailgate wont open
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tailgate wont open

njw
    FRESHMAN ROVER

Tailgate wont open

Urgent help required here gents. I am on my annual holidays and I cant get the tailgate to open. Slightly inconvenient with all the gear still in the back of the vehicle let alone not being able to open the tailgate to pack up to go home. I am assuming its down to a dodgy tailgate switch but how do I get the tailgate open in the meantime. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
    NJW
    1999 4.0l

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Tailgate wont open

Unlikely to be the tailgate switch. Power to the talgate switch is routed via the drivers door lock (RHS in the UK). The connector can come away from its attachement on the door frame and gets caught by the window which pulls the plug out. I'd suggest removing the door card on the RHS front door and checking there first.
    1998 Range Rover P38 4.6 HSE
    1962 Hotchkiss M201
    1993 Range Rover Classic 3.9 Vogue (sold)
    1987 110 County V8 (sold)

FRESHMAN ROVER

hi i have this problem infrequently and all i do now is push hard around the button area on the tail gate and it seems to work its as if it has jammed on the catch maybe needs a slight adjustment you can only try works for don,t kn ow why but it does

nelly

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

njw
    FRESHMAN ROVER

Gents, thanks for your prompt replies. I have managed to get the tailgate open at last. On closer examination it appears as though the connector into to the switch had come astray. PERSISTENCE in operating the switch a little bit of penetrating fluid and some gentle persuasion seems to have done the trick to finally get it open.
    NJW
    1999 4.0l

FRESHMAN ROVER

I,ve got the same problem. Got in via the back seats. The switch is a on/off switch. Removed the connector, put a wire across the two pins and tailgate open. I then removed the switch took it apart and found that the micro switch was not working.
    My thing now is that you connot replace the micro switch, you have to buy the whole button, £50.00. The micro switch alone would be a lot less.
    I am running at the moment with a wire from the connector to behind the rear seats, saves the climb into the boot to open it.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Hello
    I had the same problem.
    I made a simple mechanical tailgate opener.
    you pull a button inside the car
    can send you photographs
    it is the end of an embarassing problem
    Last edited by RRToadHall; November 16th, 2012 at 07:57 AM.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Hi to All, Paulr re-micro switch most electronic shops sell a selection of micro switches as i dont know where in the world you are i can not advise where to go but if in the uk try Maplins Best regards sillyboy
    2 door classic 84-91
    4 door three speed auto 91-94
    4 door four speed auto 94-2000
    P38 2000 - present day

I’d rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
    Kurt Cobain

FRESHMAN ROVER

Hi just cured this on going intermitent problem had to price of the tailgate carpet gently enough to get my hand in and manually trigger the hatch release then the tailgate once i could get at the soleniond and tested the feed was ok it was still being intermittent so took the motor out and just widened the contact points out slightly with it being a tighter fit and better contact this has cured the problem expense 0 time about 15 mins no how much would the rr stealer of charged for that .
    also had an intermittent fault on passenger side front electric window just took the switch assembly out removed the cover to the pcb squit of wd40 on the switch cured that as well .
    and again had battery drain becm not going to sleep red light staying dimmly on went through everything i thought it might be to no avail then thanks to this forum and a quick search someone pointed toards the micro switches on the door lock and because i had been having troble with remote and had to use key entry in the past had a look all i did was squit wd40 into lock then vigourously worked the lock with the key locked car on remote waited 2 minutes red light out completly no further problems also the suspension does not drop like it used to into access mode which as **** annoying .again what looked and probably could have been expensive at a stealer with alittle time and patience cost nothing hope this helps someone else .by the way for those having probs with remote not opening i,ve found if you toggle the 2 buttons together at the same time it will unlock although on occasions it takes a few attemps must get that fob repaired.

JUNIOR ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by simonjanssen View Post
    Hello
    I had the same problem.
    I made a simple mechanical tailgate opener.
    you pull a button inside the car
    can send you photographs
    it is the end of an embarassing problem
    Hi,
    can you show me how to wire that sw?

rgds
    Last edited by RRToadHall; November 16th, 2012 at 07:58 AM.
    P38 - 1997 2.5 DSE
    CLASSIC - 1982 ,2.4 VM DIESEL(In complete Project-sold)
    TOYOTA CORSA -1998, 1.5 TURBO DIESEL (sold)

Haven't heard of Murphy's Law, go buy a RANGE ROVER.!

Premium Member

That post (a while ago) talks of a "mechanical tailgate opener".
    Larry S
    1995 4.6 HSE

FRESHMAN ROVER

Hi,
    I had a similar problem with mine, turned out to be a very bad corroded spring which had collapsed and broken pieces had fallen in and stopped the button fully engaging the micro switches. Cleaned it all out found some simillar thickness wire coiled it up to make a new spring and re-assembled, and good as new, button returns properly everytime now. Job well done me thinks..

Alan

FRESHMAN ROVER

Yes, I think I found the same issue with my 96. The button has functionality, but you have to hold it for around 8 secs. I'm going to clean it out, because I believe the connections are corroded.

Premium Member

If its a delayed opening and as yours is the early type solenoid it maybe the thermal cutout.
    Larry S
    1995 4.6 HSE

FRESHMAN ROVER

I'm having this problem on my '98. The solenoid is working as I can open the liftgate, but the tailgate will not release. Is this a mechanical or electrical issue?

JUNIOR ROVER

Probably both: When the button is pushed a second time to release the tailgate, the solenoid causes a cross-shaped bracket which is attached to 2 rods, to swivel . When the bracket swivels, it pulls the rods inwards just a few mm. thereby releasing the catches on each side. The rods can become detached from the bracket. Remove the carpet panel from the tailgate and gently pull the rods towards the centre of the tailgate. This should release it. Check to see if the rods move when the button is pressed. If the bracket does not move then there's possibly a problem with the microswitch which is buried inside the tailgate under the solenoid/bracket mechanism. Alternatively, detach the rods from the bracket by lifting them slightly and popping them out of their plastic retainer.Then operate the button again. If the bracket swivels OK by itself without any load from the rods, then the outer latches may be clagged up with rubbish and need to be freed up. Once you think you've got it going OK, lock the latches with the stem of a screw driver and see if they open when you push the button. If it all works and then fails when you close the tailgate, it's possible the U-shaped catches on body have somehow moved and need to be reset. The tailgate should not need to be "slammed" in order to close properly. Also. don't forget to remove the button and clean up the contacts, it can get water/dust etc in it which can cause it to corrode. Sorry for the long post! (Yep, took me 6 months of frustration to finally sort it, even to the extent of ultimately refashioning a wire coathanger as a substitute rod...discovered that the original had worn 3mm and that was enough to preclude the lock operating properly...but it took 4 coathangers to finally get it right!!! )
    “This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever.”
    (Sigmund Freud...referring to Landie owners in general and P38a fanatics in particular..apparently

MY99 P38 4.6 (Thor) with general personality disorder...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now