Pictorial height sensor info
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pictorial height sensor info

FRESHMAN ROVER

Pictorial height sensor info

Hi,

Amongst other things today I took my rear height sensors off to swap them over.
    It was useless as they appear to have been swapped already so the tracks were already worn. Anyhow i learnt some more about them that may benefit others in the future.

On the back of mine is the following writing

Colvern is still trading and can be found here http://www.abelectronic.com/electronic-products.html The current height sensor is at the bottom of that page.

My part number is CP17/413 and the 1k25M bit is the resistance value. The next 5 digits are the day and year 285th day of 1995. My other sensor was dated 1996 so both still the originals and quite well worn.I note that the part number has changed throughout the years CP17/414 CP17/417 and CP17/420 are the ones I have seen so far.

I have ordered two replacements today from Island 4x4 (£125 for two inc delivery) and will add more pictures when they arrive and try to do a write up on converting to the later type using the kit supplied.
    1996 LR P38 2.5DT poverty spec
    1985 LR 110" 300tdi hybrid
    1991 Yamaha XJ900 ratbike

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SENIOR ROVER

Re: Pictorial height sensor info

Mine's a 2001 car, but still curious about seeing your post as I'm considering swapping mine over at the front. I'm getting some weird things occasionally.....
    Show me surf, and I'll show you a happy man...

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thanks, for the photos and all the "other" information
    Sorry for my eventually bad English...

Paulo Santos

99MY RR DSE Epson Green

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Yes this may be of more interest to pre 97MY vehicles i guess. I got the two new sensors today. Ordered them at 16:10hrs and delivered at 12:30. Thats good service!!

The LH rear is STC3594AA (this supercedes STC3594) It has the Colvern part number CP17/420 and was made in 2006. The kit has an adaptor plate and bolts/nuts for mounting. Also included is a patch lead to pick up the chassis plug. Interestingly these are "handed" and the sheet says not to mix them up. The wire colours at the plugs are different on each side.

The RH rear is STC3593AA (this supercedes STC3593) The Colvern details are the same.

I also got some instructions

Its not really clear on the pictures but the black metal plates have two studs welded to them at opposing corners. These enable the rotation of the sensors to the correct place.

I will be fitting them in the morning as my training course went over time today....

FRESHMAN ROVER

Right,

I spent the morning getting to grips with what should have been quite a straightforward task. First things first, I re-read the instructions over a coffee at the nice warm dry kitchen table. Then went outside fully encased in gore-tex....

First hurdle. The sensor as supplied by britpart is a CP17/420 with metal studs attached to its housing. The instructions mention bolting the sensor to the black metal plate. This is not possible with the sensor studs in place. What Britpart should be using is a CP17/417 which just has plain holes. You can see the studs that I had to very carefully drift out at the bottom right of this picture

2nd hurdle. The old sensors had 360deg of movement and the cable exited at the top, the new sensors have 160deg of movement and also exit at the top. I tried to mount them the same as the old ones here
    But the bottom link was not going to line up at all.

So I did away with the metal plate all together (as advised by one my local LR indys) and bolted the sensor straight to the chassis, again with the cable exit at the top. I did this both sides then put the wheels back on and put my tools away.........EAS then starts throwing faults that wont clear and the rear refuses to rise as a result.

I called another friend of mine who is ex main dealer mechanic, he tells me that the adaptor plate HAS to be used and that the cable entry may not have to be at the top. I re-fitted both sides as per this picture, you can see the sensor is at a different angle to before.

EAS was a happy bunny and came up straight away, no calibration needed. Whilst I was underneath I also changed my bumpstops as they looked a little tired!!!

SID
    FRESHMAN ROVER

Fantastic info and pics

I see Island 4x4 are still giving great service too

Sid.

SENIOR ROVER

Nice post, but why does the simplest job on these cars cause so much grief
    Show me surf, and I'll show you a happy man...

FOUNDING MEMBER

I think the studs on the sensor were to go through the holes on the plate, then the studs on the plate through the holes on the frame.

I've not used one of these adaptors on the rear, so could be wrong. I used one on the front several years ago and that's how I recall it, but the front adaptor looks different....

Premium Member

Without the adaptor plate the sensor would be out of position and therefore sending the ecu "out of range" values causing it to go into fault mode, in the first try with the cable exit at the top the sensor would in effect be trying to tell the ecu the vehicle is much lower than it actually is - this would be beyond the range the ecu is expecting or can deal with.

Thanks for sharing your info and pics.
    Larry S
    1995 4.6 HSE

FRESHMAN ROVER

Old thread - but I'm interested to find out if anyone has fitted the later ANR4687 type sensor to the earlier cars with the STC3593/4 sensors - if its only a small metal plate and a pigtail it should be easy. The ANR seem more plentiful and cheap ones are available (yes I know sometimes price reflects quality etc etc but this is and old budget runabout to have offroad fun in, not my daily driver). I figure I could knock up a plate and a pigtail for not much time/effort/cost.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now