Harmon Karmon Subwoofer Blown!
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Harmon Karmon Subwoofer Blown!

FRESHMAN ROVER

Harmon Karmon Subwoofer Blown!

I have the Harmon Karmon ICE system in my 2001 Rover with NAV. I heard a crackling noise instead of the nice bass thump I normally get. Upon inspection one of the two sub speakers was trying to vibrate but just ended up buzzing instead of thumping.

Yes I know I play my music too loud, but I'm partially deaf so it's the only way I can hear the music!

I've searched and found all sorts of aftermarket installations with aftermarket amps and a single 12" speaker. What I didn't see was someone use the existing sub enclosure and change out the small 6.5 inch speakers.

So far I've removed the sub enclosure from the car, and completely dismantled the unit. fitting small replacement sub speakers and wiring it up looks fairly easy.

In case you don't know the amp for the sub-woofer is suspended inside the enclosure, attached with two screws, one in each of the speakers magnets. since my replacement speakers will not be drilled and threaded for screws. I'm thinking of relocating the amp to the floor of the enclosure. I'll just have to drill some holes and use some bolts and spacers to securely attach the amp to the bottom of the enclosure. I'll get some pictures posted soon so you can see how the sub enclosure is designed and assembled

Has anyone else done this with their sub enclosure?

Can anyone recomend a good sub speaker for this application? Sure I could just buy a used replacement OEM sub off of Ebay - but where's the fun in that?

so far I've looked at

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-YRCZH8jqGV ... er&x=0&y=0

and found 3 speakers that might work:

Kicker's 08CVT654 6.5" sub handles up to a hefty 150 watts RMS
    JL Audio w3v3 4 ohm
    Jl Audio w3v3 8 ohm - JL Audio built their W3v3 sub-woofers to deliver powerful, accurate bass with a medium-power amplifier. The W3v3 series subs work well in a sealed enclosure.

can anyone recommend which speaker to get? do you think the 4ohm speaker would damage the factory sub amp?
    let me know your suggestions!
    2001 4.6 HSE Range Rover in Carbon Flash Black (PPG Deltron 501Q)-- JL Audio Subs, Custom Paint and bodywork, shaved the rubber side moldings, Mercedes side fender turn signals, Euro Clear Lights. SilverStar Ultras and Phillips NightGuide Tri-color bulbs.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Re: Harmon Karmon Subwoofer Blown!

First thing I'd do is get the multimeter out and check what resistance those speakers are. Might be difficult if you've got blown voice coils but worth a shot if there's not already information somewhere on this.

6.5"subs are pretty rare. If your originals are 4ohm then I'd be looking at the Tang Band
    Pdf has the dimensions to see if it will fit.

If the originals are 8 ohm each then these are definitely worth a crack for the money.

Haven't used either of these so can't comment on them but definitely worth looking into.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Got the multi-meter out and measured the good speaker, it registered at 3 ohms. I'm going for the JL Audio 4 ohm speaker, it may not be as powerful because of the ohm difference, but I'm willing to try it and see if it works. found a pair on eBay for a great price. all I have to do is drop them in the factory sub enclosure and we'll find out how well it works.
    2001 4.6 HSE Range Rover in Carbon Flash Black (PPG Deltron 501Q)-- JL Audio Subs, Custom Paint and bodywork, shaved the rubber side moldings, Mercedes side fender turn signals, Euro Clear Lights. SilverStar Ultras and Phillips NightGuide Tri-color bulbs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Tang's won't fit. They're almost 3/4" too wide. It would be nice though, as they're great speakers with a huge xmax.

Rockford Fosgate used to make a 6.5" subwoofer...I put them in mine. They work well if you plan on adding an aftermarket amp to them, otherwise they're too quiet with the factory amp.

I think Kicker makes one now too, but it also has a low spl @ 1w/1m.

My amp, and the amp of the other stock sub box I have were both mounted onto the outside.

PS...You don't have a Harmon Karmon stereo.
    Crooked Rod Charters www.crookedrod.com
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait

FRESHMAN ROVER

I may not have a Harmon Karmon Stereo, however the amp located inside the Sub enclosure is stamped Harmon Karmon.

Quote Originally Posted by HSE_Rover_4_Life
    I may not have a Harmon Karmon Stereo, however the amp located inside the Sub enclosure is stamped Harmon Karmon.
    No it isn't. You're retarded.

Go outside and look at it again. Write it down this time. Come back in and let us all know what it actually says.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Really, I'M a retard?

I'm sorry I forgot "H - A - R - M - A - N -- K - A - R - M - O - N" spelled "Alpine"

Like I said I know it's not a Harman Karmon stereo, it has Harman Karmon stamped on the amp inside the sub enclosure.

FRESHMAN ROVER

That's "H - A - R - M - A - N -- K - A - R - D - O -N"

MY MISTAKE -

This is my favorite post ever on RR.net .

Quote Originally Posted by HSE_Rover_4_Life
    Really, I'M a retard?

I'm sorry I forgot "H - A - R - M - A - N -- K - A - R - M - O - N" spelled "Alpine"

Like I said I know it's not a Harman Karmon stereo, it has Harman Karmon stamped on the amp inside the sub enclosure.

SOPHOMORE ROVER

WEW, Ok, First laugh for the day.........
    http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...DSC_0105-1.jpghttp://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...v/DSC07105.jpg
    02 4.6 HSE-It gave its life for mine R.I.P
    90 County-Firing death
    97 4.0se-Traded
    00 4.0se-Sold it
    01 4.6se-Flooded

FRESHMAN ROVER

Dude my guy almost had you!

A level 2 going against a level 19 and I whipped your guys ass!
    At least till the end when your guy body slammed me to the ground!
    The fight was over after that.

That was fun, you must piss-off a lot of people to have a level 19 character like that - Just kidding!
    How many fights do you do a day?

The JL Audio subs should be here on Wednesday so I've got time to work on the wiring harness. I've got to do some soldering and extend the output wires from the amp so that they reach the speakers.

Once I get that done, it's simple: plug up the speakers, drop them in and hook it up.
    I'll let you know how it sounds!

Lol. You're only allowed 3 fights per day, so that's all I do. You get extra points for having pupils (people who sign up under your name...like you did me). I get beat pretty often by people who have wolves/bears though. Even if they are a much lower level.

The amp you have there is at least twice the size of mine. I've never seen one like that in a RR sub...it makes me think somebody else stuck it in there. Personally, I would remove it and mount it on the outside, as it most likely gets pretty hot in there. That extra heat doesn't help the speakers any either.

Good luck with your install, those JL's will sound nice.

-Mag

FRESHMAN ROVER

Im looking into replacing the subwoofers eventually too, how did it end up working?
    2000 HSE. Stock for now.

SOPHOMORE ROVER

He hasn't got the subs yet.

The factory enclosure is a sort of bandpass style. Not sure if the JLs will like that. One thing to try would be to just use the bottom half of the enclosure with the subs inverse mounted. See how they perform in that arrangement

FRESHMAN ROVER

W3v3 Subwoofer Drivers (As Listed on the JL Audio Website) http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs ... age_id=200

Clearly the best sounding W3's yet, these sub-woofers feature DMA-optimized, long linear excursion capability to minimize distortion and increase output. W3v3's are available in single 2 ohm, 4 ohm and 8 ohm versions (6W3v3 available in 4 ohm and 8 ohm only) and are superb performers at medium power levels in compact sealed or ported enclosures.

Multiple patented technologies enhance performance and reliability. As with JL Audio’s flagship drivers, development was guided by JL Audio’s proprietary DMA (Dynamic Motor Analysis) modeling system to deliver outstanding dynamic stability and low-distortion operation within their intended power envelope.

Recommended Enclosure Size (as listed on the JL Audio Website) http://mobile.jlaudio.com/pdfs/13977.pdf
    9 in. x 9 in. x 6.750 in.
    229 mm x 229 mm x 171 mm

When using two sub-woofers in a common enclosure simply double the required volume and,
    in the case of a ported enclosure, use two times the recommended port(s).

--- If I double the recomended size (since there are 2 speakers in one common enclosure) that's slightly bigger than the factory enclosure, I'll have to try several configurations and see which way produces better sound.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now