Replaced the Differential Pinion Seal this Weekend!
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Replaced the Differential Pinion Seal this Weekend!

Replaced the Differential Pinion Seal this Weekend!

Well on Saturday, I decided to replace the pinion seal and flange as my rover smelled like yellow stone national park after every drive (good old diff fluid hitting the exahust manifold). It looked easy enough on the rangerover.net site with a good step by step procedure to follow, I was WRONG. I ended up spending 5 hours under the thing wrenching away at the drive shaft finally getting it off. The the nut inside holding the flange on was the easy part with an impact driver. The hardest part was pulling the stupid seal out. I rented a gear puller which was a very crappy one that did not do the job. I tried a screw driver as the instructional states not to use, and it was right, that did not work AT ALL, so don't bother. I ended up using some 6" needle nose plyers that had a 70* angle at the end and spread them out so I could pull on the base and top untill finally it came flying out. I pounded the new one in (also took awhile) and put it all back together, and NO LEAK! . Best of all, the slack that was in the drive system is gone too! Some things I noticed that would have been a problem is that if i pulled the (forgive the hack job) thing that the flange connects to, all the bearings would have probably fallen everywhere, so make sure that it is properly seated the entire time. I coud be wrong but, I wiggled it out a little accidently and I nearly had a heart attack thinking the worst, thankfully nothing happened. Just a heads up for some of you who might be planning on doing this, better safe than sorry, or in this case, better careful than cursing.
    A Land Rover doesn't leak! It marks its territory.

1996 Range Rover 4.0SE 167k Miles Epsom Green

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

JUNIOR ROVER

Re: Replaced the Differential Pinion Seal this Weekend!

Hey, thanks for the heads-up. I could just imagine your face, just about to face a heart attack, with the possibility of the bearings all spilling out. Anyways, good to hear that you came out of it unscathed...
    02 P38
    SoCal, USA

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now