HID Xenon Fog Light Final Install (Pics)
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HID Xenon Fog Light Final Install (Pics)

FRESHMAN ROVER

HID Xenon Fog Light Final Install (Pics)

Here are the updated pictures from the HID kit I mentioned in a previous thread a few weeks ago. There was a slight delay as I accidentally cracked one of the fog light housings when removing it from the vehicle -- was a 150$ mistake. Live and learn I guess, now I know the lenses are glass and will shatter easily.

Otherwise, everything bolted on fairly seamlessly. Since I have yet to get the BECM modified to allow fog light use with the parking lights, I unplugged the main dips for the purposes of the images.

For those that missed the previous thread -- you are looking at a xenon HID kit (50/55 watt in 6000k) mounted inside glass projector lenses, bolted within the factory fog light cases.

Final verdict -- extremely bright and a huge improvement over the factory lighting set-up. Running these lights in the dark provides lighting quality similar to, if not better than the newer Range Rovers.

2002 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
    2008 Range Rover SC

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

JUNIOR ROVER

Re: HID Xenon Fog Light Final Install (Pics)

Nice look.

Can something like this be done with the main headlamp as well? I've seen lots of posts about changing the bulb to Xenons, but I've always wondered if a prism unit could be fitted in there.
    02 P38
    SoCal, USA

FRESHMAN ROVER

The main headlight housings have prisms and reflectors built into the glass casing in order to harness the halogen beam effectively. If you pop xenon bulbs in there, like some of the other posts have mentioned, it will cause the beam to scatter, blinding oncoming traffic and possibly failing an inspection (definitely failing, depending on your location). Moreover it just looks bad to throw HID Xenon's in a standard housing designed for halogens, without any careful modification. Even placing xenon bulbs in the newer fog lights (99-02) with the clear lenses, presents problems, as the xenon bulbs need the projectors to focus the light properly. No car from the factory with xenon lighting would simply have a bulb in the case.

The only thing I can think of is if you could somehow unseal the headlight housing, remove the factory glass lens, and attach a custom fabricated lens with clear glass. Then it would be a matter of fixing projectors within the case and popping the xenon's inside. It would be a tall order, but a possibility I suppose.

The other option is fixing the newer Range Rover headlights to the P38. I am not a fan of this look but it would allow you to get xenon's on the car.
    2002 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
    2008 Range Rover SC

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by TheoR
    Nice look.

Can something like this be done with the main headlamp as well? I've seen lots of posts about changing the bulb to Xenons, but I've always wondered if a prism unit could be fitted in there.
    Just how much do you hate your fellow road-users?
    1974 Triumph Stag
    1996 Range Rover HSE

JUNIOR ROVER

Well, that's precisely the reason I haven't installed a xenon on my RR...... I don't want to offend the opposing traffic by flashing them w/ xenons, much less make them angry and have them start flashing me w/ their high beams.......However, that being said I do like the xenons for really brightening up the surroundings.

I was interesed in this thread, though, because the conversion of the fog lamps involved installing a prism unit. I'm guessing that w/ a prism it'll probably not have the ill-effect of the many std xenon conversions out there.
    02 P38
    SoCal, USA

FRESHMAN ROVER

Nice Truck! I really like the look of the HIDs! Where did you get the projector lens and how did you manage to get them into the fog light housing...does the housing freely separate? Also, one more random question...How did you get you bumpers and grille to be so black and glossy? Looking good keep up the good work!

FOUNDING MEMBER

As a 'pimp my ride' bit of bling they look good ...... or is that cool (blue) Completely useless as fog lights now though!
    2001 Vogue . . . . . . and, yes, I do own the road!

Premium Member

If I might ask:

Minus the expensive 'oops', how much did you drop on the whole project ?

And how much time did it take ?
    P38: 1999 Bosch

Nice looking rig.
    Crooked Rod Charters www.crookedrod.com
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait

FRESHMAN ROVER

The silver reflector portion (inside the fog light) where the halogen bulb mounts can be ripped out fairly easily from behind (once you unscrew the cap) by poking at the clips with a flat-head. Once it's out, you are basically left with a hollow casing.

I got the projectors off eBay for ~$60 for a pair. They are glass lenses, not the cheap plastic ones floating around and included metal mounting brackets. The actual HID kit I got after being referred by some friends off the BMW forums. I found that there is a tremendous price range for these kits -- as little as 75$ all the way up to almost 400 or 500+ for the BiXenon kits. I am no expert, but I imagine there are a lot of poor quality systems out there -- so be weary. Since you are taking 12 volts and turning it into something like 35,000 volts, I think for obvious safety reasons it is better to not cheap out on them. I paid around 200$ for the kit. Mind you it is a 50/55 watt system. It is somewhat brighter than the standard 35 watt systems and won't trip the bulb failure alarm.

Once I had all the components, it was just a matter of figuring out how to get the projector inside the fog light housing. Then I mounted the ballasts on top of the fog light case, stripped the wires and soldered them to the factory wiring harness. Then all that's left is mounting it all back on the car with the 4 screws that come with the car.

The photos make the light look overly blue. In person the light is a very pure white with a very small hint of blue. It looks similar to the xenon's on the Audi's. I would not go above 6000k (higher kelvin rating = less luminosity) unless you are going for the Japanese import look (bad look ). 4300k is supposedly the factory color, but I think the 5000k looks closer.

For the whole project, minus the oops, I probably spent around 300$ USD and it took about two weeks -- though maybe a weekend's worth of actual work once I had everything figured out.

And all of the bumpers, grill, and other front facia pieces were painted black to match the body -- if that's what you were asking jblackburniv.

Also, if you have never removed the fog lights before, you might find that some of the clips are worn down or broken off. As can be seen in the pictures I had to make some super glue repairs to the plastic mounting points.

2002 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
    2008 Range Rover SC

Quote Originally Posted by tjh2dUVA
    The main headlight housings have prisms and reflectors built into the glass casing in order to harness the halogen beam effectively. If you pop xenon bulbs in there, like some of the other posts have mentioned, it will cause the beam to scatter, blinding oncoming traffic and possibly failing an inspection (definitely failing, depending on your location). Moreover it just looks bad to throw HID Xenon's in a standard housing designed for halogens, without any careful modification. Even placing xenon bulbs in the newer fog lights (99-02) with the clear lenses, presents problems, as the xenon bulbs need the projectors to focus the light properly. No car from the factory with xenon lighting would simply have a bulb in the case.

The only thing I can think of is if you could somehow unseal the headlight housing, remove the factory glass lens, and attach a custom fabricated lens with clear glass. Then it would be a matter of fixing projectors within the case and popping the xenon's inside. It would be a tall order, but a possibility I suppose.

The other option is fixing the newer Range Rover headlights to the P38. I am not a fan of this look but it would allow you to get xenon's on the car.
    I do have xenon bulbs : GT HID H4-Bixenon with reflector solenoid.
    I didn't encountered the scattering, blinding oncoming traffic at all. I never received any flashing headlight from oncoming vehicles unless to show cops behind.
    I'm sure it depends on the quality of your xenon kit. I went with one of the company that gives 2 years warranty.
    The lighting is hugely improved and inspection didn't even notice them. Ok, i did'nt throw the thing in the engine department like a ricer.
    One thing to do is to remove the warning from the dash.
    1997 P38 4.6
    LPG
    SD L322 Rack adapted to P38
    DC5000 EAS Compressor
    Arnott Gen3
    RR-EVOLUTION protection for P38 : front diff guard, rear diff guard, steering guard, fuel tank
    32 inch BF KM2 tires
    Custom Mantec Snorkel
    RPI Sport Exhaust
    H4 Bixenons bulbs

Quote Originally Posted by tjh2dUVA
    The main headlight housings have prisms and reflectors built into the glass casing in order to harness the halogen beam effectively.
    Do you think it's possible to have a shop make some clear plastic cover to replace our mineral glass prisms ?
    1997 P38 4.6
    LPG
    SD L322 Rack adapted to P38
    DC5000 EAS Compressor
    Arnott Gen3
    RR-EVOLUTION protection for P38 : front diff guard, rear diff guard, steering guard, fuel tank
    32 inch BF KM2 tires
    Custom Mantec Snorkel
    RPI Sport Exhaust
    H4 Bixenons bulbs

SOPHOMORE ROVER

pics are gone...can you repost?

FRESHMAN ROVER

2002 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
    2008 Range Rover SC

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Nice. How did you wire them to run when the headlights aren't on? I'm dying to do that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now