Door micro switch bypass?
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Door micro switch bypass?

Door micro switch bypass?

well it was only a mater of time before i got the dredded door open warning on the dash!,and hence the eas disabled!,looked at rave diagram and see micro switch 3 is for door ajar?,i presume this is normaly closed when the door is closed?,any one know if i was to bypass this switch to fool the rr into thinking the door was closed all the time, would there be any conflicts/problems when opening the door,from the other 2 micro switchs?,need a quick fix as im going on hoiliday next week towing a caravan!,and apart from the beeping driveing me mad, i need the eas to work!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Door micro switch bypass?

petef
    I have to say that door open warning isn't something that I dread, or even worry about, but each to their own! It would also help if you gave some details about your RR in your signature or something so we know what we're dealing with. I'm guessing that it's a RHD UK car
    Have you done Marty's door latch tests in the sticky at the top of the page? When doing a search on door latch problems it's the first place everybody will point to for fault finding. If you can narrow it down to a switch pack, as opposed to a wiring issue, as you're under a time crunch the best thing to do will be to replace the defective assembly. If it's a wiring issue you'll have to trace it back.
    On the subject of searches, I found this thread which may help in terms of what to ground/ bridge to test.
    As to grounding/ bridging the ajar switch permanently to "fool" the system, I'd be wary of that. The inter-relationships between the 3 microswitches, BECM, locking, immobilising and alarm are complex and you risk being locked out of (or in)an immobilised shrieking car at some stage. Having said that, if you use Search you'll find threads giving details of how to fool the EAS into thinking the doors are closed when they're not.
    As you need it for your hols though, you really need to zoom in on the defect and fix rather than work around. Not a good time to be a Test Pilot when time and family are breathing over your shoulder! Good luck!
    Currently caring for (in order of attention demanded):

2002 4.6 Range Rover Vogue SE (A) LPG (Patience- happy and healthy)
    1995 4.6 Range Rover HSE LPG (in remission)

JUNIOR ROVER

go inexpensive and buy an MGF door lock 2nd hand for £15-£20 then u can play with the one you take out to get it work when the replacement gives out

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by scimitargtc View Post
    go inexpensive and buy an MGF door lock 2nd hand for £15-£20 then u can play with the one you take out to get it work when the replacement gives out
    Isn't the MGF fix just a means of replacing the motor that drives the door locking mech? That won't address the issue of the switch circuit for door open being US will it?

SOPHOMORE ROVER

The MGF locks I got on eBay are identical except for the long unused metal arm. I suspect you will find similar number of P38 & MGF variants of the same lock !!

Pete.

thanks, so i take it the mg lock is the same?, including the micro switchs?,anyone had the rr unit apart?, is it possible to change indevidgel switchs?,
    i am asuming that the switch is the problem, i wont know till i get that door card off and do some contenuity tests on the wire/plugs, but as the wires from the outstation dont "move" i cant see a broken wire, unless corosion in the plug?.
    if this was a normal car i would look at the cables at the door hinge as these are classic for going!, but as there is a outstation in the door i assume that it would flag a fault up if those wires were broke as the ecu couldnt communicate with the outstation?,

pete

Hey there I had my rear passenger door open alert after I plugged in (previous owner disconnected) my connector. The units go bad I believe it is because of overtightening(from the look of my cracked drivers
    actuator. I replaced them with good used ones.
    To replace the rear you take out the whole metal frame. I had rivets I had to drill out(pain in the butt) but just drilled new holes and used screws after replacement. Be careful popping out the window holders because they are plastic.
    Front Drivers loosen handle and remove little rod then removing the unit from below becomes a bit easier. Passenger front side I have not done .
    U used string to hold the rod up while screwing in the new used unit. It was a bit of a puzzle.
    Good Luck
    1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
    1985 Chevy Corvette 5.7 TPI
    Nano Evolution II(fixes=paid for itself)
    4x SrS reset with nano
    P0183 changed fuel temp sensor OK
    P1179 cleaned maf with maf cleaner OK
    P1314 reset CEL OK (was going thru large puddles when CEL went on).
    Service Engine reset/Adaptive values reset

thanks for that, allready replaced window mech on drivers door, held by rivits!, still got chunk out of finger from the angle grinder!.do i need to remove the window mech again to get the lock out?.

pete

Hey there I don't fully understand your Question. But on drivers door you Don't need to remove anything but the lock. Just have to unscrew the unit and undo the levers. Don't forget to do handle connection first because you cant undo the rod if you don't and be carefull with the little holder.
    On rear doors you have to remove the whole frame inside to hook up latches. It is not possible otherwise.
    1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
    1985 Chevy Corvette 5.7 TPI
    Nano Evolution II(fixes=paid for itself)
    4x SrS reset with nano
    P0183 changed fuel temp sensor OK
    P1179 cleaned maf with maf cleaner OK
    P1314 reset CEL OK (was going thru large puddles when CEL went on).
    Service Engine reset/Adaptive values reset

sorry about that, front drivers door, does the window gide get in the way removing the lock mech?

pete

Banned

No. It looks like it does but if you drop the latch down the door and then rotate it, it will come straight out. Early cars had individual switches that could be changed one at a time (although if you are changing one you may as well change all three), later ones had them encapsulated in resin. makes them more waterproof but difficult to change.

JUNIOR ROVER

glide - no not really - it's a faff but quite easy = quite a few rods and levers to move around the biggest issue I had was that I decided to take out the handle etc etc and then found how hard it was to get the little clip back on the rod to handle - had to take off the handle again due to EKA issues & of course it fell into the door ended up using a small nylon tie whilst I ordered the proper clips from LR dealer - think they were 6p each or 60p each - I forget... I bought a prepacked packet of 10 - when I got home some scroate had cut open the packet and helped themselves to 2 of them REALLY so I've got a spare if you need 1 when you strip it down...

But is it worth messing around sourcing bits and repairing when you can get a brand new one for £110.00?

No it's not. Installing a new one sets you up for another many years of reliability. I would rather do the job once in 100K+ miles instead of repairing or swapping used parts repeatedly.
    "The power of good is always stronger than the power of non-good.
    The power of light is stronger than the power of darkness,
    the power of knowledge is stronger than the power of ignorance."
    ~ Maharishi Mahesh Yogi~

This bodes a question... My interior lights don't work when I open my rear drivers side pass door. I was looking for the "door switch" but I assume it's part of the door lock mechanism?
    2002 4.6 HSE - 126k, Gen III, 19" L322 Wheels, Goodyear Wrangler Duratecs

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now