troubleshooting my EAS... Help needed :-)
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: troubleshooting my EAS... Help needed :-)

FRESHMAN ROVER

troubleshooting my EAS... Help needed :-)

Hey everyone,

RR 96 SE.
    My EAS started acting out with a couple of EAS faults that I regretfully ignored and now I have the EAS "Slow 35MPH MAX" on my message center.

I tried to jumper pins 1 & 8 on the ECU and the compressor started... I waited a few minutes, started the car.... nothing. I tried again and I think that the compressor changed noises after a few minutes (means the resevoir is filled?)

I tried jumping the rest of the pin combos as per other posts to try to raise the corners one at a time... no response... the compressor runs but nothing raises...

What other steps can I try to pin point the problem... I'm in Brooklyn and I don't think there are mechanics around here who'll deal with this (if so please advise)

Does it make sense to disconnect the air hose from the compressor to see if it pressurizing at all? how do I know that the resevior has air in it?

I'm at total loss... I'm good with troubleshooting things but I'm new to RR... I'm getting tons of inof off this website... thanks to all...

I'm thinking of buying the manual kit to use an external air pumb just to be able to drive the car to a mechanic or to the dealer if need be....

Thanks..
    Iyad

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FOUNDING MEMBER
    try each solenoid individually, you should hear a click when it opens. if none of them make any sound there's something wrong in the circut. if they are all OK, make sure your tank is full.

when you jumper the compressor, watch the voltage on pin 13, it should go to +12v when the tank reaches 140psi. then jumper the inlet, and the bag valves a the same time and it should raise that corner.

it's fairly easy to rig up pushbutton switches for each valve, and a toggle switch for the compressor, and you can have it all for about $12, instead of $150 for the air line thing..
    https://rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3493

what was it doing before the hard fault came in?

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Hi Dennis,

Thank you so much for your reply.
    I didn't notice anything unusual before I got this error message... only thing is that I didn't use the car for a week or so... I got the error message on the highway and had to get at the next exit... Drove home on the Bump-Stops and I don't wanna do that again lol my back still hurts...

Does it matter if Im doing the individual raise for the bags from the ECU connector or from the Valve Block? Shouldn't it be the same thing?

I only tried the ECU connectors Jumps as I don't have the manual or the pin numbers for the valve block connectors...

Here is exactly what I'll do tomorrow (please let me know if I'm missing anything)

1- Jump pins 1 & 8 on the ECU connector (the compressor will turn on)
    2- monitor pin 13 for a 12V. disconnect once I get the reading.
    3- Jump pins 1, 8, 11, 26 at the same time on the ECU connector ( the compressor will turn on again as 1 & 8 are connected)

This should raise the corrisponding corner right?

Is there a need to jump anything on the valve block along with the above?

What's the next step in troubleshooting if this doesn't help?

Thanks again for all your help...
    Iyad

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FOUNDING MEMBER
    exactly, that will lift the Left Rear, then swap pin 11 jumper for the other corners

https://rangerovers.net/repairdetails...p.html#jumpers

I forgot this link earlier,

the ECU connector is easiest, and that's all you need to use. 20gage solid core wire ($3 at radio shack) fits in the slots perfectly

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Hi all,

Here is an update on my EAS problems...

Following Dennis' tips on this, I tried to run the compressor manually by jumpering pins on the ECU connector... I ran the compressor and watched pin 13 for 12 V but that didn't happen... I suspected a dead compressor and it turned out my compressor's motor was running but didn't give out any air at all... I took it out, hooked it to 12V and tried to cover the outlet with my finger and no air preasure at all...

Here is the interesting part, I got my portable air compressor and hooked it up to the blue hose going into the valve block and I started pumping into the system (I had a hard time fitting things together but I managed to) I noticed that I had to short pins 1, 8 & 26 on the ECU for the compressor to start geting any ressistance from the tank (maybe Dennis can explain why?) any way, the gauge on my portable compressor was giving the correct reading for the Air Tank. I know I was getting somewhere cuz the preasure was climbing steadily. I tried a few times to raise the car (Which has a hard EAS error and IS on Bump Stops) but there was no response... The only time I got results was when the gauge hit around 120PSI... I just put the delay relay back in place and the car raised it's self up to normal...
    *** While pumping, I had the delay relay taken out, and the car didnn't raise back up until I put the delay relay back in place...

I was so happy when I actually got somewhere with this...
    I took my compressor apart, and sure enough, the ring aound the cylandar head was worn out and not holding preasure...

Now I need a rebuild kit for my compressor (any ideas?) or maybe I should get a new one? Everything inside looked decent except that ring around the cylendar!

So bottom line: Even if one gets a hard error (SLOW 35MPH Messgae on dashboard) you can hook any air source to your inlet and monitor the gaouge on your air source (make sure you hit at least 110-120PSI)
    once that's done, the car should raise by it's self (the delay relay has to be in place...)

Hope someone would find this of help, just like I did all the previous posts

If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to explain more... I would appreciate someone giving us the logic behind this

Best,
    Iyad

FOUNDING MEMBER
    Quote Originally Posted by iyada
    Here is the interesting part, I got my portable air compressor and hooked it up to the blue hose going into the valve block and I started pumping into the system (I had a hard time fitting things together but I managed to) I noticed that I had to short pins 1, 8 & 26 on the ECU for the compressor to start geting any ressistance from the tank (maybe Dennis can explain why?)
    sure when the compressor runs, the "inlet diaphragm" solenoid is also energized to port air through the air dryer. with this solenoid de-energized exhaust air from lowering is ported through the dryer backwards to remove moisture and vent it to atm so you were just pumping backwards though the dryer and out the exhaust muffler

any way, the gauge on my portable compressor was giving the correct reading for the Air Tank. I know I was getting somewhere cuz the preasure was climbing steadily. I tried a few times to raise the car (Which has a hard EAS error and IS on Bump Stops) but there was no response... The only time I got results was when the gauge hit around 120PSI... I just put the delay relay back in place and the car raised it's self up to normal...
    *** While pumping, I had the delay relay taken out, and the car didnn't raise back up until I put the delay relay back in place...
    with the delay relay out, there's no power to pin 1, so running the jumpers didn't work because there's no juice to open the solenoids

I've found that with some hard faults, it will raise/self level when you pump up the tank, and with others it won't, not sure of the logic yet but I have some ideas...

Now I need a rebuild kit for my compressor (any ideas?) or maybe I should get a new one? Everything inside looked decent except that ring around the cylendar!
    https://rangerovers.net/repairdetails/ai ... dtemp.html

or, even better

https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3206

... I would appreciate someone giving us the logic behind this
    I don't know if it's logical, but that's how it goes...glad you got this far

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now