glove box gas strut?
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: glove box gas strut?

glove box gas strut?

I'm tired of opening my glove and all my stuff falling on the floor. Does anybody know how to connect the gas strut?
    2002 4.6 HSE.
    GENIII's 13X,XXX miles.
    Audi A6 heater core conversion.
    EBC GRN 7000 Front/6000 REAR.
    R.A.V.E. http://landrover.workshop-manuals.com/p38/index.php

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

This was one of the very first jobs I did on my P38, as in less than 24 hours after getting it I had no idea what I was doing and just sort of muddled my way through.

If you open the glove box and look inside can you see the gas strut with the bracket still attached?? You should just be able to push the bracket back into the part where it attaches on the glove box. I did and that was two years ago now and it hasn't broken since. You will see what I mean when you have a look.

It really is a super easy thing to fix.

-Wills
    98 Range Rover 2.5 DSE Auto
    Faultmate MSV
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...kon80/sig4.jpg

FRESHMAN ROVER
    I did not think of puching it back in. Those are press nuts that have been pulled out of the plastic. I driled it out and install two small bolts. You see the head in the golve box is all.
    John
    2001 4.6 SE Gold

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SOLIHULL ROVER
    Thanks for the tip. Mine is completely broken as well but I seem to remember needing more than a couple of small bolts. What I do remember is that it is absolutely imperative to make sure that the glovebox cable latch mechanism is working properly before you latch the glovebox door. It really is quite a heavy door for the strut mounting brackets to retain.
    2008 Alaska white SC with 128,000 mi. latest diff folly. 2004 Epson green 275k kms now for sale. also 1952 Hough payloader 1959 Nuffield 4DM
    2000 kent green 4.0 SE sold
    2003 GMC 1500 AWD window van 5.3 L love it in the snow & rain-anytime [on mich ltd m&s ll] 200 plus K miles. getting very rusty.

I'm missing the bracket, mine just flops around inside the glove. Does anybody has picture of it?
    2002 4.6 HSE.
    GENIII's 13X,XXX miles.
    Audi A6 heater core conversion.
    EBC GRN 7000 Front/6000 REAR.
    R.A.V.E. http://landrover.workshop-manuals.com/p38/index.php

very first jobs I did on my P38
    Must be a P38 thing!
    I took mine off, only a few days after I got it, had it regassed and then fitted screws in place of the rivits as per monjoh.
    Peter

2001 Epson Green 4.6 HSE
    1974 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
    1983 710-1.6 Pinzgauer
    1971 700 Haflinger
    1974 703 Haflinger
    http://www.ozpinz.com

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: glove box gas strut?

D u know the part number and do u have any pics of the install?

I believe the part number you are looking for is "AWR6897". As far as pics of the install, I have none. But, you should be able to take a look at http://landrover.workshop-manuals.co...ex.php?id=1172 (or your RAVE manual) to get an idea of the procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahamasky View Post
    D u know the part number and do u have any pics of the install?

FRESHMAN ROVER

Hi, again, thanks for the information.

I have downloaded RAVE but when I tried to get it to open it looks for Adobe Shockwave and this program is now unavailable for download. I'm not sure how to get RAVE to open but perhaps someone could suggest a program ?

EDIT - I have found a means to open RAVE using a different Adobe program, so I have sorted that out

Pierre3.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I need to replace my strut as well. I can see where it pulled off the glove box and will drill and bolt those in when replacing. My question is how does one remove the top part of the strut? It looks like there is a pin or something that extends into the left hidden area of the structure. I don't see any way to get to the fittings, if any, behind there.
    2001 P38 4.6 HSE, Kent Green/Light Stone

FRESHMAN ROVER

easiest to remove the entire glove box unit from the car - screws from the dashboard, tiny bolts on the hinges (behind the plastic trim on the roof of the footwell) and then disconnect the wire for the light and the cable for the opener. you could just about do the job without removing the hinges, but if you're not familiar with what goes where/ have big fingers then don't waste your time. Make sure your strut is not over powered (ie 5kg/50N), or the compartment will need to be pulled open instead of glide down.

My old unit was stamped 2329 GR 0050N 019/98 F 09 Lift-o-mat. I think the LR part number should be AWR 6897.
    1998 Defender 50th 4.0L V8 Auto
    1998 Range Rover 50th 4.6L V8 Auto
    Toylander Series 2A

Previously
    1980 SIII 2.25 petrol
    1997 200 Tdi CSW

FRESHMAN ROVER

Like everyone else here I found that my glove box was just falling down. However, mine was different because a guy who fitted a new media player/radio disconnected the hydraulic arm when doing the wiring, but didn't reconnect it.

I managed to reconnect everything, and I decided to do the permanent fixing with M4 nuts and bolts while I had the unit down. It was a bit tricky getting the arm back in place because I didn't take the whole glove box unit out to begin with. I left the release cable connected and managed to fix the hydraulic arm to the mounting from behind.

Incidentally, my arm is held on to the mounting with a spring washer rather than a split pin. I would have preferred a split pin as getting a spring washer on and off is quite difficult.

The one thing that I couldn't get fixed was the hinge bolt on the left hand hinge. When I unscrewed the hinges two square "nuts" dropped out and I couldn't get this left hand side nut back in situ as there seems to be heater motor sitting right on top of the metal frame where the square nut dropped out of.

There are two fixed nuts which don't move, and two which are loose, and I managed to get only one nut back, the one on the right hand hinge. But the left hand hinge is secure enough as there is a fixed nut in position.

Pierre3.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now