Gen III Airbag valves
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gen III Airbag valves

Gen III Airbag valves

Anybody ever have the inlet valve on top of a GenIII go bad? Mine are about a year old, and I have a leak at that inlet on the front right bag. I assume theres just an o-ring (or two?) in there followed by the metal retainer where the hose goes in? Is it the same size o-ring as Dennis puts in his block kits?
    '99 Range Rover HSE armored and super-EAS'd
    '15 BMW M235ix

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

It's not a valve, but a brass collet holding the plastic pipe against two o-rings at the bottom of a cylinder. The tension created by pushing the collet in makes the teeth on the collet dig into the wall of the plastic pipe and clamp the plastic pipe down and against the o-rings to provide an airtight seal. But, yes, that's a pretty common thing to have fail and it's an easy fix, too. Or at least it was on my truck, particularly the front air springs (no matter the make & model) were more succeptible to it. I lost track of how many times I had to tend to them and it was what broke the camel's back eventually. I suspect the heat in the engine compartment (very close to the headers) and the bend going into the collet made the difference in life expectancy. The rears appear to lead a far easier life, perched on the frame and out of harms way. Pull the collet upwards and it will release the hose and if levered up far enough (say with a screw driver for gentle assist, some will pull out by hand), the brass collet will release and you can fish out the o-rings carefully with a plastic hook and replace them. Be careful not to damage the surface on the inside of the cylinder with metal tools.
    '99 HSE (late / Bosch, LHD), 551/581 OME coils, 255/85R16 BFG MT KM2, GBR DC front propshaft

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhtz
    It's not a valve, but a brass collet holding the plastic pipe against two o-rings at the bottom of a cylinder. The tension created by pushing the collet in makes the teeth on the collet dig into the wall of the plastic pipe and clamp the plastic pipe down and against the o-rings to provide an airtight seal. But, yes, that's a pretty common thing to have fail and it's an easy fix, too. Or at least it was on my truck, particularly the front air springs (no matter the make & model) were more succeptible to it. I lost track of how many times I had to tend to them and it was what broke the camel's back eventually. I suspect the heat in the engine compartment (very close to the headers) and the bend going into the collet made the difference in life expectancy. The rears appear to lead a far easier life, perched on the frame and out of harms way. Pull the collet upwards and it will release the hose and if levered up far enough (say with a screw driver for gentle assist, some will pull out by hand), the brass collet will release and you can fish out the o-rings carefully with a plastic hook and replace them. Be careful not to damage the surface on the inside of the cylinder with metal tools.
    Awesome description. I let it go so long that it hard faulted on me the other day. When I but the new bags in, I also redid the valve block and all the other little bits. I didnt do the hoses though, because it seemed like more trouble than it is worth. So yesterday, I replaced the hose from the front right bag to the valve block, thinking it was just old crappy hose not making a good seal at the collet. When I did this, I noticed that the collet looked like crap. I pulled it out and applied a tiny amount of pressure and it cracked in half! Well, turns out I had a spare valve block sitting around, so I pulled one of the collets out of it and used it. Helped a little, but the truck was still in access on the front when I checked this morning. So I guess tonite I will replace those pesky o rings. Where can I get new collets for these things?
    '15 BMW M235ix

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

I suspect shupack can chime in on that.

http://www.rover-renovations.com/

PS: Yes, this has been edited.. *sigh*
    '99 HSE (late / Bosch, LHD), 551/581 OME coils, 255/85R16 BFG MT KM2, GBR DC front propshaft

FOUNDING MEMBER
    a bad collet on a new spring? Arnott's warranty should cover that, just send them a quick email. I've found a supplier finally, I'll have a gross of them in a week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by shupack
    a bad collet on a new spring? Arnott's warranty should cover that, just send them a quick email. I've found a supplier finally, I'll have a gross of them in a week or so.
    I emailed them through their website comment system and they are sending me new orings and a collet. Thanks!
    '15 BMW M235ix

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now