Insurance
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Insurance

FRESHMAN ROVER

Insurance

I called our long-time agent today and they quoted me around $750 for six months for liability only and $1300 for six months for comprehensive, bodily injury, liability, and collision.

These are my stats:

- Male under 25 (This is the biggie; I'll be 21 in December)
    - One single-vehicle, at-fault accident (in June 2005; will go back to accident-free in June of 200
    - No traffic tickets

There are enough idiots running around here without licenses or insurance that I'm really leaning towards the extra money for the collision insurance. What does everybody think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

I think you should shop rates. Check Geico/Progressive/State Farm or of course All State (you're welcome KMagnuss ) online and get a quote, don't just take what he offers.

It sounds like you've always used him and have a relationship with him, but I think it'd be worth your time to see what market rates are. Atleast bring them back and see if he'll come down a little for you.
    JCole
    2010 RRSC current
    2000 4.6 HSE prior

Premium Member

Re: Insurance

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleRkindofguy
    I called our long-time agent today and they quoted me around $750 for six months for liability only and $1300 for six months for comprehensive, bodily injury, liability, and collision.

These are my stats:

- Male under 25 (This is the biggie; I'll be 21 in December)
    - One single-vehicle, at-fault accident (in June 2005; will go back to accident-free in June of 200
    - No traffic tickets

There are enough idiots running around here without licenses or insurance that I'm really leaning towards the extra money for the collision insurance. What does everybody think?
    Yeah do it, you don't want your truck to be totaled and you be out $10,000-$15,000. And leave your deductible at something you can afford to pay in the event of an accident. Body work isn't cheap on the RR, trust me, I know.
    98’ P38 4.0: Current
    00' P38 4.0: Sold
    99' P38 4.0: Gone
    93' RRC LWB: Sold

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks for the plug cole

I'm assuming that you're going to take out a loan for the RR, in which case you will be required to have full coverage. If you aren't taking out a loan...I guess that just depends on you. Can you afford to lose the amount you paid for your truck ? Is it worth the extra $100 per month?

Definitely shop around...you'll find that different companies rate different cars/people/areas differently. I can all but promise you Allstate will be high compared to Geico, just because of your age and the ticket. We don't like to insure young people without houses. Sorry, just the way it is.
    Crooked Rod Charters www.crookedrod.com
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Can you still ride on your parents policy? If so, that is the way to go. I would think hard about carrying collision on a truck not worth $12,000.00. Check KBB and high retail. If the approach 80% of that to repair it, they will try to total it. So if you have ~$10k in damage, they will total it. How fast can you save up the $10k, less the deductible? All bets are off if you are financing it, get collision and GAP coverage.

Carry liability and comp with a $250 deductible and towing insurance (you'll need it!). Your liability seems high. My son was was quoted around $800 for six months in the RR when he was 16 as stand alone (not riding my policy). He pays me $300 every 6 months as the difference he caused me in my insurance when he went on it. Btw, that is with him driving 4 cars and as primary driver on one, collision on all except the Scout.

Shop around. You can do better, even on the left coast. I was in CA from the time I was 22 until 30, and had the same rates I had in Fl.

kmagnuss is an agent - listen to him!!
    Rob Page
    '05 LR3 Trail V Package, ARB BB, Warn XD9000
    '03 Range Rover Classic LWB "Blue Beast"
    '76 International Scout II ("Bessie") "Perma Project #2"
    '07 GMC Siera 2500 HD Duramax "Rover Support Vehicle"

Premium Member
    DoubleR,

What I would suggest:

Liability
    Comprehensive
    Collision

No frills - no towing or $ 0 glass deductible or any other bells or whistles.

Big deductibles on comp and collision: $ 1000 on each.

Send me a PM or an email and I'll give you some insider info.

I am an insurance guy also.

Dan
    P38: 1999 Bosch

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Wow, thanks for all the replies. I'll be piggy-backing on my parents' policy and Dan, that's all I was planning on as far as coverage. The way it's working is this: no bank will touch me (no credit score) so my dad will be loaning me the money and I have to pay him back in installments, just like a bank. Kind of an off-beat way of doing it but if it means getting my RR, it's worth it.

Thanks to classic car coverage on a few of our other cars with Hagerty's we have really great rates with Safeco. The Rangie runs $621 for 6 months, $18000 replacement coverage with $250/$0 deductible. i.e. I muck something up I pay $250. Someone smacks me or cracks my $1500 windshield, I pay nothing. There is a bunch of small print that our Allstate guy could enlighten us on... but I am already . . . . ... yawning.
    When dealing with yourself, act with your brain
    When dealing others, act with your heart.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Get your Dad to cosign at a local Credit Union to help you get your credit going. It also alleviates some potential tax impact on him. If he does not charge you interest, or charges a below market rate of interest, the Jack Booted Revenuers may show up wanting their tax revenue on the income he could have received. Ask me how I know .......
    Rob Page

FRESHMAN ROVER
    I just got out of a Ls1 trans am ws6 with t tops and a six speed and my insurance did not change, i have farmers insurance with liability only, im 22 yrs old
    2001 Range Rover HSE 4.6
    Oslo Blue

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Quote Originally Posted by rpage
    Get your Dad to cosign at a local Credit Union to help you get your credit going. It also alleviates some potential tax impact on him. If he does not charge you interest, or charges a below market rate of interest, the Jack Booted Revenuers may show up wanting their tax revenue on the income he could have received. Ask me how I know .......
    Dad will not co-sign as he does not believe in borrowing money from banks. Trust me, I tried. The car will be in his name until I have paid him back at which point in time the title will transfer.

JUNIOR ROVER
    This post sure makes me feel like a geezer and I'm only 40. The first surprise is 21 y/o's driving RR's. The second is then having enough money left over to pay over $200 extra per month for collision insurance. When I was that age, I had a old VW with the legal min. for insurance. But I'm off topic.
    I would think really hard about this. Your RR will be worth around $9K. With a $1K deductable, you are insuring $8K. Unless you really pile it up bad, the salvage is going to be worth something. So you are probably realisticly talking about insuring $5K for $2600/year. I personally would never sign up for that. But then I don't carry collision on my RR and for me it wouldn't even cost 1/4 what its going to cost you. Just my 2 bits, YMMV.
    '99 Range Rover HSE
    '02 Audi S6

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleRkindofguy
    Quote Originally Posted by rpage
    Dad will not co-sign as he does not believe in borrowing money from banks. Trust me, I tried. The car will be in his name until I have paid him back at which point in time the title will transfer.
    And until that time he is LEGALLY responsible for the RR and liable for any damages done with it. If he has any assets, he is really exposoing himself here. Just my .02 worth.......
    Rob Page

Off topic but...

You should really get some credit going (even like a prepaid credit card that reports so that you get something out ther), and just make sure you manage responsibly - never be late, and take care when opening/applying for new accounts so that you understand what you're getting into.

You should also enjoy the hell out of your Range once you get it, and post some pics!!
    JCole
    2010 RRSC current
    2000 4.6 HSE prior

FRESHMAN ROVER
    I have Geico here in Florida, and I was previously on Progressive because of their excellent rates here. When I switched from the Volvo to the RR, they wanted to bump my policy cost (which is full comp/collision/Liability/etc) by more than 3 times. I checked around and everyone seemed about the same, until I hit Geico, which was less than half of the nearest quote I had gotten. I pay about $580/6 months with $500 deductable and liability limits of $50k, and I'm 39.

-Coach

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now