Range Rovers Forum banner

D pillar Trim removal

24K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  p38 ireland 
#1 ·
How on earth do you remove the external trim from the D pillar?

It seems straightforward according to RAVE - I opened the tailgate and removed the 3 screws visible, but the trim seems stuck where it meets the side window.

Any tips?

Cheers,
Chrisall.

See less See more
#3 ·
I removed the screws by the lift gate and slid a putty knife under the edge on the side window and pryed outward and rearward. It came right off. I don't recall anything difficult or quirky about it.

#5 ·
rrtoadhall said:
I removed the screws by the lift gate and slid a putty knife under the edge on the side window and pryed outward and rearward. It came right off. I don't recall anything difficult or quirky about it.
How is it attached where it meets the side window? Does it clip in to something?

Cheers,
Chrisall.

#6 ·
Re:

rrtoadhall said:
Urm, like this ? Didn't manage to get it off though.
I think underneath is enough room for my GPS antenna.

Attachments

#7 ·
Hi

At the inside of the trim is a slot where the window fits snug inside. This slot has some small ribs here and there to build up pressure to keep it in place. The strip at the bottom is attached to the trim with a clip in system and needs to be unclipped. I bought 2 from a breaker and at one there was a piece of broken window inside the slot together with the sealant used (I assume) when the original window was replaced. It was very hard to pry everything out. So if you know from the history of the car that a rear window has been replaced it might not be so easy to get the trim off and keep the window in one piece at the same time.

If there is no sealant it should come right off with a hard pull.

Good luck

Jos

#8 ·
Thanks for the info.

I used that tool (don't know how it is called in English) along the whole side of the window/trim just in case there would be some sealant.

The problem is, how to get good grip on it for that hard pull.

And it seemed that in the lower (horizontal) part, somewhere in the middle, there was something that was keeping it in place.
I already suspected some kind of clip, but now I know for sure (guess).
Can't stick that tool in there, would guaranteed give scratches.

#9 ·
Hi

Here some pictures from the inside. The Trim is attached to the strips between window and rear fender and window and roof on the top and bottom.
The strips are pushed through an opening in the trim and hook behind it. You have to push them outward and move them back trough the holes you see in the photo's.

Good luck.

Regards

Jos

#10 ·
Hi again

Some mobile phone photo's from the trim removed. What you can not see on the photo is that the tailgate is supported by a broom stick. You have to unclip the cylinder mountings that support the tailgate and unscrew the fixing point.
Turn the trim away from the inside towards the outside and move under to unlock the clips. the pull downwards from the top to the bottom and it will come off. Refitting is just sliding the clips through the slots, hit is with your hand so it will slide over the window untill all seated. refit screws and fixing point for the tailgate cylinders and refix the cylinder to the mounting point. Job done. Takes 10 minutes per side.

Regards

Jos

Reactions: BigMack
#12 ·
Hi Jos,

Just removed inner 3 screws and the tailgate support nut & spacer.
Is there a clip in the middle towards bottom centre?
I'm unable to move it out from out side and I can see a hole , in the body towards bottom centre in one of your pictures.

#13 ·
I'm not clear about your comment'
Here some pictures from the inside. The Trim is attached to the strips between window and rear fender and window and roof on the top and bottom.
The strips are pushed through an opening in the trim and hook behind it. You have to push them outward and move them back trough the holes you see in the photo's.
What are the 'strips'? Is it possible( even after 12 years ) to see a picture of trim piece inside?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.