Battery Terminal Question
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Battery Terminal Question

Premium Member

Battery Terminal Question

Right now I have an OEM Interstate battery.

It has SAE terminals.

Would there be any reason that I would or would not want to change to a battery with threaded terminals ?

Aside from replacing the existing cables with ones that are threaded-terminal friendly.

Example:

Odyssey PC 2150 S - Threaded Terminals

http://www.batterymart.com/p-odyssey-pc ... ttery.html

vs.

Odyssey PC 2150 T : SAE Terminals

http://www.batterymart.com/p-odyssey-pc ... ttery.html

(Once again I find myself asking the simplest of questions. Sorry about my continued noob-ness).

Bonus Question: What does a battery's having (or not having) a metal jacket mean ?
    P38: 1999 Bosch

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

LEGACY VENDOR
    I was asking myself the same question a few weeks ago. I went with the Odyssey Batteries PC1500 Battery, with standard SAE terminals. The battery is a drop in replacement for the OEM battery. No need to change cable lengths or modify battery box. I did however, have to put some plastic shims between the top of the battery and the battery bracket.

If you have the money for the Odyssey Batteries PC2150 Battery, then go for it. I would however stick with the standard SAE terminal posts. The threaded can get anoying if you have to rewire you terminal connectors and anoying to clean.

The metal jacket is just to provide an extra layer of strength in the battery box itself. So if you happen to drop it or use it outside the car like in a boat or something it has more protection. I really do not see the purpose of the metal jacket when the batttery is going to already be surrounded by metal inside you car under the hood.
    R. Storey Wilson
    - 1996 4.6 HSE
    A Healthy EAS At 130,000
    - 2003 HSE
    Tried to Kill Me...
    - 2008 LR3
    Miss the Range Rover.

Premium Member
    Hey Malafax,

Thanks.

I appreciate it.

I just called Interstate Batteries' customer service (not sales). I explained my question to the girl who answered the phone. she said, "Let me transfer you to 'heavy duty'." She then did so.

The heavy duty service guy said that the threaded posts are designed for trucks / machinery that the operators (generally) cannot repair themselves.

If a road tractor (aka semi tractor) or a dozer stops working, it costs a lot of money in downtime, takes longer to get a mechanic to it, and the 'service call' minimum charge for such mechanics is pretty big.

Not in a million years does somebody want to have a piece of equipment down for a day, and then pay $ 300+ for a mechanic to come out and say, "Your battery cable came loose".

He said that the current does not pass through the threaded studs. The connection occurs around the base of the studs. The studs and their threads are there to hold the cables there.

Apparently that is a more dependable connection than the one provided by an SAE terminal - especially in applications that make it more subject to vibration / shaking.

He added that, since the current does not pass through the threaded posts (which are typically stainless steel), there are occasions when the current causes the threaded posts to fry - melt, actually. The post melts, the cable becomes disconnected - no more power. And no more battery.

Why / how / when that would happen, I don't know. The machinations of electrical currents have always eluded my understanding - so I didn't bother asking.

He said that does not happen with SAE terminals.

So, even though the odds of an SAE post connection shaking loose might be greater, it's the smarter way to go. In the profoundly unlikely event that it did come loose - we would open the hood, see it, and fix it ourselves in no time (more or less).

If we had a threaded terminal post battery, and the post melted, we would be royally boned.

So, SAE terminals it is.
    P38: 1999 Bosch

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now