2.5 Diesel w/manual box
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

Thread: 2.5 Diesel w/manual box

FRESHMAN ROVER

2.5 Diesel w/manual box

I guess this will be rather irrelevent as far as our US readers are concerned.

Anyone got a 2.5 with the manual gearbox? Are they any good? I've heard things about the gearbox not being the greatest, but lets face it, anything's better than an auto. Also anyone tuned their 2.5 for more power?
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Premium Member
    No,dont do it, the BMW engine is very easy to stall and is hard work in traffic,much better with auto,chipped /larger intercooler etc.
    Plus the shift quality is not good and the 2 roll pins in the clutch cross shaft have been known to shear leaving you with no clutch.
    Last one I did, I drilled and fitted a third pin.
    Think beyond -

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    got no problems with the manual but the next one will be an auto only because am getting lazy in my old age. the old girls chipped doze what I want her to do pulls the caravan up and down country no problems there again how much power do you need
    Tony
    99 2.5 DT 127K (UK miles) still on air

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

have to agree with getting an auto 2.5. then again ive never really had any experience of the manual but yea, go with auto and chip it and upgrade the intercooler for even more power gain.

mine is just chipped with no upgraded intercooler but then again im not after super fast acceleration and tonnes of power, i just sit on a motorway at 70-75 most of the time and it does me fine.

around town the auto is just the best though and its really smooth shifting, well mine is anyway

-Wills
    98 Range Rover 2.5 DSE Auto
    Faultmate MSV
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...kon80/sig4.jpg

Re: 2.5 Diesel w/manual box

Quote Originally Posted by agent006
    lets face it, anything's better than an auto. Also anyone tuned their 2.5 for more power?
    What should be bad about the automatic? Its better off-road, more comfortable on-, and much more suited to the BMW 2.5D than a manny (not to mention suited to your luxury 4x4). You won't catch me ordering a Porsche w/a Tiptronic tranny - or even a VW Golf for that matter, but that's just probably because you'll never catch me ordering any econo-vehicle. The RR is not a sports car, though. The only advantage to a manny RR is that nobody wants one so they're cheaper.

I have a chip in mine as well. Wonderful. Lovely. Great. If you do a search, there are at least 2 threads on my chip (including one where ally and I have a bit of a row, but we're the best of friends now, right ally? )

Premium Member
    NO, I HATE Porsches !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!
    Mates yes, Porsche - no.
    Vintage Bentley,now theres a car........
    Think beyond -

Premium Member
    VW Golf

GTI with the auto that has the option the use those little shifters on the wheel. It’s a rocket ship, the GTI with the manual seemed slower to me. The Mini S is still the fastest and coolest of the two, but takes the mini in a manual.

I have always wanted a diesel manual rover, but it’s a pain in traffic and on hills off road.
    98’ P38 4.0: Current
    00' P38 4.0: Sold
    99' P38 4.0: Gone
    93' RRC LWB: Sold

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: 2.5 Diesel w/manual box

Quote Originally Posted by Stevemfr
    What should be bad about the automatic?
    It's infuriating basically. I spend very little time on motorways and highways, it's mostly twisting country roads and my 4.6 spends most of its time in completely the wrong gear and then has to change down (slowly) mid corner to accelerate. The gearbox seems to think that 4th is suitable for anyhting above 25mph, i disagree.

A lot of the time the auto is great but for me it ruins the car completely. Such a shame they never made a manual 4.6 (i have contemplated a conversion using the manual box from a 4.0 but can't be doing with the insurance implications). My 4.6 is being sold to fund other things but i'll have to replace it with something, so one of the things on the list is a 2.5 manual (along with the usual Audi A6/S6 and the like).

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Leo
    VW Golf GTI with the auto that has the option the use those little shifters on the wheel.
    Is that the DSG box with the dual clutch, or do you US guys still get the regular auto box on the GTi?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now