it's dead
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: it's dead

FRESHMAN ROVER

it's dead

Once every few weeks my alarm would go off for no reason and sometimes the parking lights would come on 5/10 mins after I locked it. Then today I when I unlocked it and opened the door the alarm went off and the engine disabled message & alarm fault message flashed. I left it for an hour came back and it worked fine, now having tried to unluck the truck(manually) only the drivers door unlocks and there seems to be no alarm as the LED doesn't flash and it's dead, nothing happens when I try to start it. Mech. thinks its the drivers door lock acctuator? Any thoughts woud be appreciated.
    97 4.0 SE

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Completely dead, i.e. no electrical at all? I would think you'd be getting an engine imobilized error. If you haven't done so already take a gander at the alarm section. It was a great help for me.
    When dealing with yourself, act with your brain
    When dealing others, act with your heart.

FOUNDING MEMBER
    Nothing works at all, or everything works except cranking the engine? If everything works except cranking, is your amber 'Check Engine' light coming on when you turn the key to position 2?
    -Brian
    '97 BRG 4.6 HSE, 106k, bone stock (Gromit...)
    http://jimsrover.afraid.org/rover/niceguy_avatar.jpg
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle.
    -Stapp's Ironical Paradox.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Premium Member
    I was having a retard moment the other day...... I'd parked up and left it in "D" with the handbrake on. I was about to pop the bonnet when I happened to glance down at the gear lever.

Not only does it not start when you leave it in gear, it gives no warning as to why when you turn the key nothing happens. Could yours "think" its in gear?
    1999 4.6 HSE Blenheim Silver

FRESHMAN ROVER
    I've got nothing, no flashing of the alarm led, no flashing of the park lights when i unlock, no interior lights come on and when I put the key in and try to start I get nothing.It's like the battery is dead, but thats good an optima red top thats a month old and a bosch alt thats seven months old so i dont think it the source, plus i checked all my grounds and they're good. The mechs. say its the door acctuator thats done in and it's immobilzed the car.
    97 4.0 SE

Premium Member
    I'm not sure that if the door acctuator failed it would imobilize the car, the BECM handles all of that stuff.

Could the coil "thing" inside the ignition barrel that picks up the imobilizer code form the key be dodgey (i cant remember what its called at the mo)

Does the car lock & unlock by remote?
    1999 4.6 HSE Blenheim Silver

It sounds like more than immobilization. You are unlocking the drivers door mechanically. If your key was un-synched you couldn't unlock via remote, and the alarm would go off and the engine would be immobilized when you unlocked mechanically. Generally upon immobilisation everything works until you actually try to crank the engine - then the message center tells you "Immobilized, please be nice or you're not going anywhere".

Did you check voltage at the BeCM fusebox with a voltmeter or at least a testlight?

If the battery checks OK with a voltmeter, check your positve feeds (terminal, Fusebox, etc). The current has to go out - as well as return via the grounds. BTW, simply "eyeballing" the ground/positve connectors and battery terminals is not enough. Oxidation between the contacting surfaces can occur w/o being visible.

FOUNDING MEMBER
    Do the interior lights come on when you open any of the other doors?
    -Brian
    '97 BRG 4.6 HSE, 106k, bone stock (Gromit...)
    http://jimsrover.afraid.org/rover/niceguy_avatar.jpg
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle.
    -Stapp's Ironical Paradox.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    no lights come on, no matter what door is opened.
    97 4.0 SE

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Okay, so as a lark I swapped batteries with another vehicle and it's working fine, for now. I still can't sync my remote and I am sure in a day or two I'll start having the alarm go off randomly or go off when I unlock it and open the door then get the immobiles message again. I am pretty sure the source of it all is the door acctuator?
    97 4.0 SE

Could be the door accutator is keeping the BeCM from sleeping (poor fella) which is what killed the optima.

How did you go about trying to sync the key? Does the central locking work via the key? (key, not remote) This needs to be looked into for sleep issues as well.

Next easy step is to see if the car can sleep or not. You'll have to wait till nightfall (or have a very dark garage). W/all windows and doors properly closed, you'll see a very faint red light from the gear position indicator at the gear lever (its usually best to pull the handbrake up so the lever is not in the way). This glows until the BeCM goes to sleep - once you've locked the car about 2 min. Keep a close eye on the glow. If it goes off and comes back on about 5 sec. later, the BeCM is trying to go to sleep,but something is waking it right back up. This could be the accutator, or even an improperly set window/sunroof (did you reset these after installing the new battery?). Check the RR.net site under "Battery Drain" for all sorts of helpful info.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Thanks for all the help. The central locking works with the key but I can't get it to sync, even had the dealer try when i was in picking up a part but no luck. Thats when the mech. told me most likely the acctuator was the culprit, also the reason the alarm has being going off randomly. I'll try the becm sleep test but most likey just replace the acctuator and see what happens.
    97 4.0 SE

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now