oil pan gasket - Page 2
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: oil pan gasket

LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
    Now that is interesting.

I suspect I was charged the LVF100400 gasket price for two paper/card gaskets I bought.

I'll check that out - no wonder they charged me so much for the gaskets! I thought they were flaming expensive.

I wonder what the correct part no. for my gaskets is. The only gasket shown on my parts lists is the LVF100400.

More investigation needed.

Thanks very much for that.

Ron
    Ron Beckett
    2004 L322 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 Auto

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

JUNIOR ROVER
    Yes that would be expensive for a paper/card gasket . I haven't found any other reference for a oil pan (sump) gasket apart from LVF100400.

I was hoping to call in at the parts department of the RR dealer for some advice or gasket goo but work seems to have taken off and I won't be able to get away early. I just had time to check for any responses here while doing some research on the net.
    Gavin
    1998 RR 4.6 HSE lpg
    Rovacomlite (all modules for a '98 GEMS P38, except Cruise Control)
    EAS Kicker (P38 & RRC)

FOUNDING MEMBER
    Interesting indeed...

Per the workshop manual, engines 'up to 99 MY' do not use a gasket for the sump at all, they simply use a specific width bead of Hylosil type 101 or 106 sealant on the face of the sump. The 'from 99 MY' instructions do reference using a gasket. That probably explains why the gasket is listed by AB as for 1999-2002.
    -Brian
    '97 BRG 4.6 HSE, 106k, bone stock (Gromit...)
    http://jimsrover.afraid.org/rover/niceguy_avatar.jpg
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle.
    -Stapp's Ironical Paradox.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Short
    Yes that would be expensive for a paper/card gasket .
    That's why I didn't replace it a few weeks back, I just used a bit more Loctite Master Sealant (no leaks)

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Short
    I haven't found any other reference for a oil pan (sump) gasket apart from LVF100400..
    Neither have I - but the one I have is for the later engine with the oil pump in the timing case.

Ron
    Ron Beckett

FRESHMAN ROVER
    As indicated above, the Lucas P38 does not use a gasket. I discovered this after purchasing a gasket for "all" P38 models. The early version simply uses a gasket sealant.

As such, I have a brand spanking new oil sump gasket sitting on my workbench for the 99MY on P38. If anybody wants it, let me know. All I ask if that you pay for the shipping.

Paul
    1984 Land Rover 110 SW 2.5D Olive Drab
    1989 RRC (sold)
    1995 P38 4.0 Epsome Green "The Sheriff"

LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
    Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by Beauty&Beast
    As indicated above, the Lucas P38 does not use a gasket. I discovered this after purchasing a gasket for "all" P38 models. The early version simply uses a gasket sealant.

As such, I have a brand spanking new oil sump gasket sitting on my workbench for the 99MY on P38. If anybody wants it, let me know. All I ask if that you pay for the shipping.

Paul
    That's true - but it leaks a lot less with the gasket and Master Sealant.
    Ron Beckett

JUNIOR ROVER
    An update. I went to the main dealer at Zavantem (East Brussels) and showed the parts guy the MY99 gasket and said that I wanted suitable gasket goo for my '98 model and showed him the relevant pages of the workshop manual.

He entered the VIN for my RR and Microcat came up with a sump gasket that is cylindrical in section, follows the shape of the earlier sump. He has ordered it for me. It has the same part number as the my99 LVF100400 so I am not holding my breath. The price is €21.80 and it will be here on Thursday so we will wait and see.

I also ordered 4 grub screws for the brake discs that I am going to fit in August. I didn't have anything else I could order...!

I went to my local motor factor and they had gasket sealer in Grey, Blue or Black and then noticed Loctite 5922 which from my translation of the French and Dutch instructions seemed to be just what I wanted. The shopkeeper confirmed it as does the data sheet (in English) I found on line. http://65.213.72.112/tds5/docs/5922-EN.PDF

I also found Ron's Loctite 515 and 518
    http://65.213.72.112/tds5/docs/515-EN.PDF (dark purple)
    http://65.213.72.112/tds5/docs/518-EN.PDF (red)
    both fluoresce so you can have a cool light show with a UV light!! Loctite 5922 is however just plain old back.

Btw the tube was 1/3rd the price of the gun applicator cartridge variant, so I got the tube.
    Gavin
    1998 RR 4.6 HSE lpg
    EAS Kicker (P38 & RRC)

JUNIOR ROVER
    OK. I collected the gasket LVF100400 which is the same shape as the LVF100400 Britpart version that I already have but it appears to be of a different rubber and has metal inserts around most of the sump bolt positions. I got the parts guy to check by date, 1998, and VIN and according to Microcat it should have a gasket. However LVF100400 gasket does not reflect the shape shown in the Microcat diagram.

My Microcat doesn't work at the moment. Can someone look up a pre 99 VIN, ideally a 95 or 96 and see if LR now are recommending fitting a gasket?

Tomorrow evening I will drop the sump and offer up the gasket and see if it can be trimmed to fit. I will use the loctite 5592 as well.
    Gavin
    1998 RR 4.6 HSE lpg
    EAS Kicker (P38 & RRC)

JUNIOR ROVER
    My 1995 also leaks form the sump.Has anybody fitted a gasket to the early year models with success?.
    John
    John W
    1995 4.6hse
    Enjoy it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Beauty&Beast

Paul
    I'll take it off your hands...
    '99 Range Rover HSE armored and super-EAS'd
    '15 BMW M235ix

JUNIOR ROVER
    Ok,
    EAS in off road height, oil drained, filter removed and sump dropped. There is plenty of room to drop the sump and manoeuvre it to sit nicely on the front axle. But it won't clear the bottom of the bell housing (and remember it has still got some oil in there so you don't want to turn it side ways!) So I had to jack the front end (on the cross member under the radiator) and put it on axle stands.

The sump itself had no gasket remaining on it, it was all on the bottom of the cylinder block. It looked a pretty smart job - factory may be. The vehicle has 122,735 miles on it. There wasn't a great deal of gasket there.

The bottom end of the engine looked very clean (I use Forte flush)
    I offered up the gasket (both the OEM and Brit part) to the sump. It would be possible to trim it and make it fit. But you would have to also trim the locating rubber protrusions to make it fit the sump. The area which looked very tricky to get right was how much to trim of the rear where it would mate up with the front end of the bellhousing. There was a strong likelihood of trimming either not enough and getting a wrinkle or crease in the gasket or trimming to much and getting a leak.

So I played it safe and when for the Loctite 5922 option. I scraped the old gasket off the cylinder block with a paint scraper and finished off with a green souring pad. Used methylated spirits to clean off and degrease. I applied the mastic to the sump. It may have been a little more generous than the workshop manual. A 5mm bead it tricky to squeeze out.

I offered it up and put the bolts and nuts on hand tight. Then I got my wife to call out the order of tightening as I used the torque wrench. It took quite a time but is straight forward. There is a bead of mastic showing around some of the edges. I fitted the oil filter and lowered the front.

On reflection next time I would fit the oil filter first. It doesn't get in the way when you are offering up the sump and it would prevent a drip of oil going across the mating face of the cylinder block.

The Loctite 5922 instructions say it is usable after 4 hours and fully cured after 24hrs. I am going to wait 24 hrs before filling with synthetic oil (the ultimate test!).

So pretty straight forward.

1)You would have to trim a LVF100400 very carefully to make it fit. Also I am not sure if the OEM with its metal inserts in the gasket would be compatible when torquing down the steel sump although the bolt holes do line up with the earlier sump.

2) You do need to jack up the front end but for convenience (and reach to the bolts) you can do it after dropping the sump.

Somehow I managed to put my hair on the oily bit while concentrating on torquing up the bolts and nuts.

And somehow a blob of mastic fell in my beard.
    Gavin
    1998 RR 4.6 HSE lpg
    EAS Kicker (P38 & RRC)

JUNIOR ROVER
    Hello Gavin,
    Well done ,holding thumbs that it is oil tight.Could you clarify this though.You said you scraped off the old gasket.

1) Should your model have a gasket?
    2) Did you mean an actual gasket as in paper,cork rubber etc or Merely the residual sealant?
    3)Did you use thread sealant on the sump bolts?

Regards
    John
    John W
    1995 4.6hse
    Enjoy it!!

JUNIOR ROVER
    Sorry,
    I should have been clearer.

1) No.
    2) There was no rubber, paper or cork gasket just the residual sealant.
    3) No, because as I suspected when you offer the sump up the mastic comes through the holes and so the bolts get covered in mastic which will act as a thread sealant anyway.

Finger's crossed that I haven't put too much mastic in and it has squeezed out on the inside and when the sump is filled will oil it will float and get sucked up on to the oil pump intake mesh and starve the engine of oil.....

I would have preferred a proper gasket.
    Gavin
    1998 RR 4.6 HSE lpg
    EAS Kicker (P38 & RRC)

JUNIOR ROVER
    Job done. Engine filled with oil and test run - no leaks. 10 mile test drive and a blast up to 3,000 rpm. All OK.

The underside could do with a power wash to prove 100% that the leaks have gone but that will have to wait....
    Gavin
    1998 RR 4.6 HSE lpg
    EAS Kicker (P38 & RRC)

JUNIOR ROVER
    Excellent Gavin,I will do mine the next time I change the oil.

John
    John W
    1995 4.6hse
    Enjoy it!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now