RR OWNERS: 2003 vs 2005...
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RR OWNERS: 2003 vs 2005...

FRESHMAN ROVER

RR OWNERS: 2003 vs 2005...

I am looking for some honest opinions comparing the 2003/04 Range to the 2005 Range. Anyone purchased an 05 right after their 03, and if so, what are the biggest and best improvements, thoughts, etc....I am trying to determine my best course of action. I currently own a 2003, thinking about moing on to the 2005....should I wait for the newbody 06...is the 05 a better truck, and even so, how it compares to the 2003/04 my?

thx

ss

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    I find the navigation touchscreen to be worth the extra money for an 05. The upgraded stereo is nice, but wouldn't have been a decision factor by itself for me.

Tho I do not yet have a bluetooth phone, I expect this feature to be invaluable on my long commutes to work.

Once you have experienced the improved navigation system, the 03/04 system is tedious to operate and the screen is smallish. (My parents have the 04). If you never experience the 05 system, you probably won't miss it.

Oh another nice thing about the 05 navigation is that the music mutes when the navigation system gives a command--whereas the 03/04 system kind of mumbles under the music.

This was the situation I was in three weeks ago--i chose the 05. If the financial incentives were greater I may have considered the 04.

Hope this helps.
    2005 Bonatti/Charcoal Lux

I used to have an '03 (for 2.5 years) and just got an '05 5 weeks ago. The '05 is pretty much spec'ed the same as my '03, except with the luxury package. The touch screen and new DVD nav system is terrific, and the MP3 CD player is definitely an invaluable feature, and the Bluetooth is great. The only thing with the new nav system is that you can't enter "new" addresses on the go, but you can choose previous/memory destinations and find "points of interest". If you can go for the '05, do it. I decided not to wait for the '06 because even though the new engines are very tempting (the S/C especially) I really like the BMW engine. Maybe there'll be an '06 down the road

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER
    thanks for your responses....i got to play with an 06 supercharged at my dealer yesterday, to me, I prefer the front end the way it is....it looks more like an LR3...the gauges and computer are now all jaguar, and looks exactly like the jaguar display that is under the speedo, etc...the s/c rover isnt even that much faster off the line, almost not even noticable, a little faster from say 30 mph...but personally, I dont see it worth it ($90k)..unless the styling is something that one prefers...but thats subjective. All else is the same..some subtle differences in the rear lights, big difference in teh frontlights and grill obviously, and tv's in the headrest, but honestly, I bet a stereo installer could do a better job, they looked and felt a bit cheap...and lastly, a nice thing they did do was insulate the truck a bit better, its alot quieter which is really nice. The leather was a new color too, for U.S. anyway, cream (perferated in parts) with black piping, lux. I think the 2005 is more in line with traditional Rover styling, and the 2006 is inspired by ford/jaguar designers maybe??? Of course, a beautiful truck, and anyone who will own one will be a happy happy person, but that goes for all these english beasts.

---so I go for the 2005 eh?

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    Good choice!

I am also happy about the added insulation for the 2006, but I find the front end styling less appealing.

Another 05 and on trait is the Michelin tires which are supposed to address the goodyear tire issues on the 03/04s..

I didn't know they had 06's at dealers already--guess I'll get to see at my first service.
    2005 Bonatti/Charcoal Lux

FRESHMAN ROVER
    the 2006 was owned by a magazine i think....it wasnt there for people to play with, I just wouldnt take no for an answer....

this may have been covered before....but does anyone know of Ipod and sat. radio inputs in the new nav/stereo...?? or at least if there are future options....i know that with the 2003/04 many mods are possibe since the bmw stuff is easily modified....i know aux input, tv, sirius, and bluetooth are all possible with simple plug and play piecee for the 2003's. I know that someone posted that sat radio was not an option...but if this stuff is now ford, all fords/jags are supposed to have Sirius radio retrofit options....ar at least that was what I was told.....any thoughts, info?????

thx
    ss

FRESHMAN ROVER
    The 03 nav system shouldn't speak over the top of music. That’s a stuff up the dealer can fix. Mine did it too when I first got it but was soon fixed.

Having said that, no system in this day and age should be CD based.

Looks like Land Rover is getting its ass kicked over the styling changes for 06. Bluntly they are a disgrace. Every model, with the supercharged version being the worst. The price increase isn't justifiable either when the RRS is a technically superior product.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus
    Good choice!
    Another 05 and on trait is the Michelin tires which are supposed to address the goodyear tire issues on the 03/04s..
    What goodyear tire issues?
    Los Angeles, CA

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Wear and vibration issues

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now