Monte Carlo Blue?
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Monte Carlo Blue?

FRESHMAN ROVER

Monte Carlo Blue?

Saw one the other day for sale, and I can only assume that due to the colour, it was going cheap. So far I don't like it and it reminds me of BMW Estoril Blue, but does anyone have any pics of one, especially with privacy glass and 20" alloys?

Anyone got one and can say what they think to the colour?

Thanks
    2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 : Stornoway/Jet, RSE DVD, Hybrid TV, Privacy Glass

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FOUNDING MEMBER
    Tim has a monte carlo blue RR

Tim
    FOUNDING MEMBER

Monte Carlo Blue?

Look at it this way RR, why be one of the crowd with a Black or Silver RR....... the more discerning of us prefer the less common colours. According to my local dealer they have no problem shifting MC Blue cars and they were very popular in this part of the country, would imagine that the one you saw has huge miles on it which effect the price more. Saw a Black V8 Autobiography at Gaydon at the weekend that was 18 months old and had 50000 miles on it!
    My choice was white or MC Blue but everybody thinks you are either a police car or bought a castoff motorway patrol car if you buy a white one.
    The rarest colour is actually Icelandic blue (very pale metallic blue) then white, then Giverny Green (grey/ willowy green colour) then Monte Carlo.
    I have pics but don't have 20" wheels or Drug Baron Glass on mine - though I parked next to an MC Blue RR today that had the very very dark privacy glass and it makes it look like commercial like the Disco Van! BTW MC Blue with loads of chrome looks great, but then personnaly I'm not into heaps of bling bling. I'm about to fit the chrome sillguards though as the matt black ones look silly on the MC Blue body.
    John has a piccy of mine in the review section of Range Rover Net but can post some if you want to see a Monte Carlo Blue RRTd6SE in action in the mud and snow.
    Fuji White Evoque SD4 Coupe Dynamic Lux auto with Plus Pack, heated steering wheel, privacy and tow pack - now on my drive
    Stornoway Grey TDv8 Vogue Range Rover with Ivory interior and a few extras - Gone
    Stornoway Grey TDv8 HSE - Gone

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Tim,

The spec was a 2002 4.4 Vogue with only 26000 miles. Going for £32K before haggling.

Seemed like a good buy as long as the warranty is still up to date.
    2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 : Stornoway/Jet, RSE DVD, Hybrid TV, Privacy Glass

Tim
    FOUNDING MEMBER
    The spec was a 2002 4.4 Vogue
    There's your answer RR - the 4.4V8 is the reason for the high depreciation. TD6's hold their value better and appeal more to 2nd/3rd owners on the forecourt.
    I was offered £38000 for my 16500 mile 2 year old TD6SE (it cost 43k new)in March this year, against a 2005 HSE. If I were you I would think hard about the deal, it has very low miles for its age........ and is a cracking colour! It is a bargain - go for it if you don't mind 15mpg! What colour is the leather - they look great in Monte Carlo with Parchment hide but it is a really pain to keep the inside clean. Mine is Navy hide with parchment piping and the piping and door trims show dirt really easily - the navy seat facings are much more practical
    I would also check that it doesn't already have Privacy Glass as I think it was a standard fit item on Vogues. The other reason for the large drop in value, apart from the engine, is that a face lifted model is now available! It would also be advisable to ask the dealer to let you see the printout of it's service history (all RR's still within the dealer network should have computerised history on the LR system) it may be hiding something nasty....... exploded diffs spring to mind.
    While you are checking ask if it was also covered by the VIP scheme - this gives you "free" servicing until the car is 5 years old and covers everything except road tax and insurance and is worth having! It originally cost £1000 as an extra but many dealers threw either half price or free agreements in to sweaten the deal when buying new. It saves a huge amount in servicing costs. I don't cover the 13000 mile service intervals in 12 months but VIP still covers me for a full service every 12 months/ 8000 miles.
    Tim
    Fuji White Evoque SD4 Coupe Dynamic Lux auto with Plus Pack, heated steering wheel, privacy and tow pack - now on my drive
    Stornoway Grey TDv8 Vogue Range Rover with Ivory interior and a few extras - Gone

FRESHMAN ROVER
    I wouldn't mind a TD6 except that they seem SO underpowered compared to the V8 and the X5 3.0D Sport. I know it's ALOT better than the P38A 2.5D which my father has, but it's still doesn't light any fires. I worry that going from an M5 to a TD6 will be too much of a shock.

15mpg is not that far off 20mpg which I get in the M5, so that won't be too much of a shock. When I had a TD6 for a weekend it would only do 21mpg on a run I took it on. I was not impressed with that really. The ride/enjoyment/power you sacrifice for about 4-6mpg....is it worth it I'm asking myself?

Does anyone know of any ECU upgrades/chips to enhance performance and what can be gained in the BHP dept?

Tim
    FOUNDING MEMBER
    After an M5 with 400bhp I would think anything sensible this side of a TVR would feel a tad slow! And I do agree with you that the TD6 does feel underpowered, but then I have adapted my driving to suit... lets face it even a TD6 is such a nice wagon to travel in, does it really matter that you are travelling abit slower and the journey takes a bit longer, it just means you get to sit on those lovely comfy chairs a bit longer!! I have found too that the bulk of a Range Rover bearing down on most other cars makes them get out of the way - even Volvo drivers treat you with respect and unlike with your BM other drivers tend to be very courteous to you and will let you put out of junctions etc. You should be able to save a fortune on insurance premiums too as even a V8 is only group 14 and with Land Rover's own scheme might even be less than that and you get unlimited continental cover and offroad use and recovery in the price.
    If you are happy about the passed history of the RR and really want one then I think you are looking at a bargain with the V8 you saw. Is the selling dealer a Land Rover Dealer because you will get the Land Rover Approved Warranty with it at that age and milage - then you can extend the warranty after the first year and that will cover you for any major problems. With such a small milage on a big V8 it will hardly be run in - sounds like it might need to be taken for a really good hammering down the motorway to blow the cobwebs out!
    Are you intending to keep the M5 as well?

FOUNDING MEMBER
    I came from a V8 Audi S6 (upgraded to near 400BHP) before my getting my present TD6 so I understand your predicament. I would highly recommend the DMS upgrade that I have however as it transforms the tardy standard performance....the mid range pull is now similar to that of my previous Audis' yet still returns low to mid 20's mpg.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Aeroresh,

Can you give me any more details about that such as where/who to contact and how much it is?

I've seen a few TD6 chip upgrade type services that take it up to 225bhp, that's still woefully lower than the 4.4V8.

I don't expect ANY Range Rover to perform in any aspect like an M5 or any sports car (unless I could afford the new Supercharged version or an Overfinch...but let's not get into that right now)

If I could keep the M5 and have a Range Rover that would be perfect..but alas, money and space do not allow it.

Unfortunately the Monte Carlo one I saw was not with a main dealer, but, may still have had some warranty remaining, I didn't enquire as I'm still enjoying the M5 too much.

FOUNDING MEMBER
    try this link to DMS:-

http://www.dmsautomotive.com/

if you ring them up ask to speak with Mike Cooper, he'll give you the low down... Read this months EVO magazine to see what they did with the new BMW 535 D, around 350BHP I think!!!

Don't let the 225 BHP fool you, its the torque improvement that really makes this conversion. I've had mine against an L322 V8 and a P38 4.6 (informally of course! ). It was quicker from a rolling start than the P38 and it'll keep up with the L322 V8 at pretty much any speed...the newer V8 just having a slight edge, but only just.

Don't misunderstand me, it doesn't turn the TD6 into a rocketship but does make the performance "adequate".

I'm fortunate in that I have a Jaguar XKR for performance kicks so I wasn't looking for outright performance when I chose the RR but I always felt the standard TD6 just needed a little bit extra.

FOUNDING MEMBER
    I would have a look here ..
    http://www.jeremyjfearn.co.uk/power.htm

I would personally go for this kit over a simple chip upgrade, 250bhp and 420ftlb

I hate the TD6 and don't think the engine should have ever been signed off to go in a 59,000 pound car that weighs 2.5 tonnes. Compared to the same engine in BMW form it's noisy, course and underpowered and I won't be changing my one out for another TD6 Vogue.

Along with introducing the TDV6 in the Discovery and now Range Rover Sport, Land Rover should have changed out the RR's engine too. It's emabarassing jumping out of a Discovery 3 into an RR, as the RR sounds like a tractor!!

My E39 M5 went when I bought the L322 too back in 2002, although I came out worst off as my wife drives that one while I got the year old P38 4.6, although thinking about it I'm not sure I would have liked jumping straight from M5 to the TD6. Overtaking is tough on single A & B roads in the RR, a stark contrast from the M5. You'll be at home with the satnav, phone and comms etc though as they are exactly the same as in the M5

Cheers

Steve

FRESHMAN ROVER
    £1750 is a lot of money to spend jazzing up the TD6 engine when you could potentially SAVE about £2k buying a 4.4, and put that £1750 towards petrol!

I work out that £1750 gets you about 21 tanks of fuel at today's prices which would equate to approximately 7500 miles of motoring.

You HAVE to wonder, is it worth having a car for a year, 2 years, maybe more, and having an engine in it that constantly annoys you at its lack of power, just for the sake of a few quid at the pump.

I think I'd rather enjoy the car and driving experience, have the extra power, the smoothness and quieter running and pay a little more.

I've not driven an LR3 yet but I have heard good things, but even though the TDV6 is supposed to be excellent, it's still not a Range Rover and that's ALL that I am bothered about. If you see a RR and an LR3 in the same colour, with privacy glass and 20" wheels, the one that will turn most people's heads and make the neighbours envious is the Range Rover, every single time!

Tim
    FOUNDING MEMBER
    Quote Originally Posted by RRUK
    I've not driven an LR3 yet but I have heard good things, but even though the TDV6 is supposed to be excellent, it's still not a Range Rover and that's ALL that I am bothered about. If you see a RR and an LR3 in the same colour, with privacy glass and 20" wheels, the one that will turn most people's heads and make the neighbours envious is the Range Rover, every single time!
    Quite agree RRUK, I like the LR3 but won't buy one for just that reason, also while RR is large, the D3 has even more space than I need.
    My local LR dealer has been trying to get me to trade to a D3 and offered some good incentives but as you say the RR still has a higher WOW factor even after 3 years on the market, the D3 also just melts into the crowd compared to an L322 RR. I'm not even sure that I would change it for an RRSport.
    On a recent trip to the south coast I was amazed how few D3's I saw and how many L322 RR's were pounding the M6/M42/M42/M27!

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Yes I agree with you Tim, I did about 800 miles last week in the M5 and was quite surprised by how many Range Rovers I saw and how few of the LR3's I saw.

Still, it didn't make me want a RR any less and an LR3 any more....

If you arrived at a fantastic country house hotel, ask yourself which one would make people think, "Nice car, he must be a successful person".

The LR3 will never do that, ever.

Valeted the M5 this weekend, its just SO nice, at this rate, I'll never get a RR, it's just too good, too fast, too well built, too complete, too awesome....oh dear.

Tim
    FOUNDING MEMBER
    Quote Originally Posted by RRUK
    Valeted the M5 this weekend, its just SO nice, at this rate, I'll never get a RR, it's just too good, too fast, too well built, too complete, too awesome....oh dear.
    Ummmm sounds like you need to take a look at an Overfinch RR!

Any Range Rover looks great outside a country house hotel! The Land Rover Experience has just opened it's 2nd location in Scotland......... not at Gleneagles Hotel (were they already have their own Offroad Centre with Defenders and RR's) but in the grounds of the home of the stars when they come to Scotland - Skibo Castle.

My sister turned up to work as a manager at Gleneagles a couple of weeks ago to find all the carparks jam packed full of Range Rovers. Land Rover regularly use the hotel for product launches and press days.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now