Front dif, self destructed today
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Front dif, self destructed today

Premium Member

Front dif, self destructed today

I'm only 500 miles from home on a Sunday and out of know where, Zing

done gone nothing.

Not even a warning wine....

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Sorry to hear! Did you just post recently that you were flying without a net (outside of warranty?) Hope that isn't the case. Please keep us updated about the resolution of the problem.

Best of luck. You have my sympathy.

Premium Member
    Yep I''m right at 53K, three K over, hoping that I can work out a warrenty repair. Or else I'm out of my Race budget.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Ouch! That hurts!

Sorry to hear about the misfortune. You are certainly well within the 4 years at least. I hope to hear a good service story from your dealer. Let us know!

Ian.

Premium Member
    Good news, Bad news, good news is that I will be getting a goodwill repair, (That means I will only be paying 1/2 the warrenty payment). If this was a no warrenty, just walk (towed in off the street) would of cost me around $3k. I'm going to be paying under $1k. Just having it towed (31 miles) cost $250. so this is good news.
    The bad is that the parts are on (god only knows) back order, and there are five others ahead of me at this one dealer.

And yes all the front dif, updates were done before this happen.

Thanks for the update. Nice to know the dealer is working with you. My mother's 500SL needed a new radiator within a thousand miles of being out of warranty (very small repair compared to yours) and MB USA paid for half after I wrote a letter, so that seems to be the norm.

5 others in line ahead of you? Scary..glad I bought the 100Kmi warranty on my 05.

Best of luck to you.

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    I have 27K miles on my '03 RR now and have never been told of any problems with the front diff by the service advisor. In fact two weeks ago I took the RR in for the thermostat recall re-programming, and asked specifically if there were any 'updates/recalls' that my vehicle needed/should receive, and I was told no "it's fine'.

Should I press the issue?

Is there a confirmed recall for the front diff issue?

Is there anything else that a service bulletin has been issued for that I should demand gets taken care of?

Any help appreciated.
    Bish
    RRS S/C Bonatti Grey/Ebony/Cherry with PTI; RSE; Rear Diff Lock and Sirius

Premium Member
    I beleave, (try a search) to see if there is a service note, for 2003s to check alighment of the dif.

Premium Member
    Good news: The Rover is fixed, I was thinking I may be leaving it hear in the Los Angles area wail waiting for back-order parts. But Land Rover came thru and moved me up to the front (I'm guessing) of the line.

A big thanks again to Anihem Hill Land Rover crew for working overtime, and Steve their Service Director for going the extra mile.

Premium Member
    Good news: The Rover is fixed, I was thinking I may be leaving it hear in the Los Angles area wail waiting for back-order parts. But Land Rover came thru and moved me up to the front (I'm guessing) of the line.

A big thanks again to Anihem Hill Land Rover crew for working overtime, and Steve their Service Director for going the extra mile.

FOUNDING MEMBER
    Bish,

Try this link..... preety comprhensive list of all Series III recalls and TSBs:

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/68/03680110.html

FOUNDING MEMBER
    Moto One,

Is the fail mode sudden and immediate?? Any warning signs. Other than the EAS this is the next most probable thing to get you stranded so it would be nice if there was some sort of warning sign.

I have had the front diff re-algnment done under the SB campaign. Anything else I should do... like have it checked regularly??

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    Quote Originally Posted by RRuser
    Bish,

Try this link..... preety comprhensive list of all Series III recalls and TSBs:

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/68/03680110.html
    Thanks for the link, excellent data.
    Bish
    RRS S/C Bonatti Grey/Ebony/Cherry with PTI; RSE; Rear Diff Lock and Sirius

Premium Member
    There was not one hint of warning, all the realignment SDs were done. I was driving at 45mph steady state of speed and Zing, DIC called for select neutral.

I think that it is a safty issue that may come back and bite Ford/BMW. If you were going up a hill in traffic and the dif lets go, you get hit from the rear, or have this failure on a multi lane freeway (and I have heard that some times it will lock the front wheels) and your vehical caused a multi car wreck. See were this is going. With the history some one could come back and sue BMW/Ford for not coming up with a fix or buy-back-replacment, then through in the **** that Land Rover may have had to buy-back a Range Rover because of this problem and then resold it.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now