Land Rover Experience Solihull
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Land Rover Experience Solihull

FOUNDING MEMBER

Land Rover Experience Solihull

I just returned from a trip to the UK. Took a ride through the Land Rover Jungle and a tour of the factory. It was quite an experience, to say the least.

They are on an early production schedule, so they are only building '06 models. There were RR and RRS all over the place, ready for shipment. The RRS is a very nice looking vehicle. The assembly line is pretty standard for an auto assembly line. We toured the RR and defender line. The stamping machine is awesome, something BMW brought in. There is an awful lot of quality control for body panels.

The Jungle track is interesting, although I have an 04 RR, I don't think I could do with mine what we did on the track. There is a swamp area where there is nothing but mud and very deep water and another area with hills mud and water. We took an LR3, Defender 110, and a RR out for a spin. If you ever get a chance to go, DO IT. It was great.

As soon as I get time, I will post some of the track pictures, nothing to great, but you get an idea what our vehicles can do.

Marc
    2004 RR HSE - Current - 122k miles
    2001 RR HSE - Sold

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER
    I went on the LandRover Experience some 8 years ago, it was a gift from my uncle for my 21st birthday.

Clearly, it was well before the introduction of the L322 model, but the tour was just as interesting. I walked through the very factory that my (then) current Land Rover Series 3 SWB was originally built in, back in 1979. It was pretty amazing to see how the production line of LandRovers was coming through the factory. Every single unit along the line was different. I saw military Defenders for foreign nations being produced alongside UK domestic Range Rovers. It was brilliant. All this was before BMW shook them by the neck too. I'd love to see it now.

I recall seeing the V8 petrol engine testing bay and then seeing hundreds of V8 engines stacked on crates just outside the factory ready for fitment. I wondered if they might miss one......

I look forward to seeing your pics, I didn't take a camera (How daft am I ??) I also know there's a waiting list on that tour, always has been, I was lucky as my uncle got me in before everyone else!

Thanks Uncle Peter! Happy 70th Birthday next week!!!

Oh, and you'd be amazed where you can take your Range Rover, Trust me. My family has had them since they first came out in the 70's. I've been on so many family holidays where we took them up Scottish moors every year in the worst weather possible, and they ALWAYS coped admirably. The only vehicle to have in those conditions was a Solihull one. You are driving the world's ultimate 4WD. I've seen it!! Be Proud of it.

The old slogan still rings tue...............

"The Best 4X4XFar"
    2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 : Stornoway/Jet, RSE DVD, Hybrid TV, Privacy Glass

Tim
    FOUNDING MEMBER
    RR, there's no waiting list for the Home of the Legend - the price puts most folks off going! I went in November04 through The Freelander Club - 3 club members got the full works treatment off the Gold day, with a private tour for us whereas the other folks were in groups of 6 and we got a discount too!
    As Freelander Club members we did both the RR/RR Sport and Freelander production lines then in the afternoon did the Jungle Track in a G4 Freelander and that was amazing - you expect a Defender or Disco to breeze through it - but a Freelander? Well it just plunged into the same bits as the Discos and Defenders and didn't half get a heap more attention from the other folks on their trip out! The little Freebie didn't miss a beat, even without a low ratio it's traction control just kept it going even with water way up over the bonnet and part way up the windscreen! It was a G4 Freebie with a snorkel of course.
    The reason I'm a memebr of the Freelander Club is that I part exchanged a TD4 Auto for my RR and have remained a member as an "admirer" of the Freelander - they are cracking wee cars offroad (provided you keep out of the deeper ruts!)
    Fuji White Evoque SD4 Coupe Dynamic Lux auto with Plus Pack, heated steering wheel, privacy and tow pack - now on my drive
    Stornoway Grey TDv8 Vogue Range Rover with Ivory interior and a few extras - Gone
    Stornoway Grey TDv8 HSE - Gone

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FOUNDING MEMBER
    Still working on the picture thing.

There were only 2 of us on the tour that day. I booked my session when I booked my trip to London, about 2 months advance notice, I picked my date with no problem. The cost was roughly $300 USD. You get between 70 - 80 cents for every pound.

Our guide told us BMW closed the experience because they did not believe in it, but Ford reopened it.

I had to pass on driving the defender, the cockpit was a little too cramped. Being 6'2" my knees hit the dashboard preventing me from reaching the pedals properly. OH Well..

The Range Rover was a dream, it handled the course like there was nothing there. Even the LR3 handled itself well.

Later
    Marc
    2004 RR HSE - Current - 122k miles
    2001 RR HSE - Sold

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now