L322 auto box no reverse but all forward ok and no error message why?
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: L322 auto box no reverse but all forward ok and no error message why?

FRESHMAN ROVER

Red face L322 auto box no reverse but all forward ok and no error message why?

I have a problem I'm trying to tackle with reverse missing. Reverse lights and r icon on the dash and no error messages or any problems with forward gears . Any help in the right direction from anyone would be great .

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

LEGACY VENDOR

Re: L322 auto box no reverse but all forward ok and no error message why?

Is there even a slight amount of drive backwards or nothing at all?

You may be lucky and just have an MV3 solenoid/reverse gear valve issue, otherwise it will be a ‘transmission out’ job I’m afraid as either the C-clutch or the F-brake are misbehaving. You can test out the F-brake by seeing if you get engine braking when you select 1st gear in Manual mode.

Phil

(P.S. You have a '02-'05 4.4 V8 L322, is that correct?)

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Paris, France (working ) and Devizes, Wiltshire UK (Lives)

I had a similar problem a few months after purchasing. The gearbox had to be fixed owing to a rear main oil leak, this was done by the garage selling the car, anyway, a short time after that I had little or no reverse, it was like a very badly slipping clutch. When the gearbox people looked at it they found a crack in the valve block that was letting the reverse gear pressure go, anyway, thats the story they came up with!!

RRPhil, would that be a viable fault?
    ---------------------------------------------
    Current: 2003 4.4 V8 RR Vogue (Windsor Green)

Past Rangies:
    4.6 V8 P38A Vogue (Blue)
    3.9 V8 Auto Classic (White)
    3.9 V8 (Injected) Auto Classic (Cypress Green)
    3.5 V8 Manual (Carburettor) Classic (Brown)

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

LEGACY VENDOR

Paul,

There’s certainly been an issue with the 5HP24 in the past with the upper valve block cracking and spilling out hydraulic pressure. I must admit that I thought this was confined to early BMWs and Jags and that the problem had been fixed when the main pressure valve spool design was revised (many years ago) to prevent pressure spikes, so I’m interested to hear that your L322 may have had the same issue.

I guess, therefore, that we should also put this down as a possibility – though I would have expected it to have affected forward drive as well as reverse? You say that it only caused a loss of drive in reverse in your case?

(These photos are stolen from a BMW forum)

Phil

FRESHMAN ROVER

i reversed then drove forward and had no reverse since but forward all fine . not the slightest movement when in reverse . not even an engine drop in revs .

Quote Originally Posted by RRPhil View Post
    Is there even a slight amount of drive backwards or nothing at all?

You may be lucky and just have an MV3 solenoid/reverse gear valve issue, otherwise it will be a ‘transmission out’ job I’m afraid as either the C-clutch or the F-brake are misbehaving. You can test out the F-brake by seeing if you get engine braking when you select 1st gear in Manual mode.

Phil

(P.S. You have a '02-'05 4.4 V8 L322, is that correct?)

FRESHMAN ROVER

ooops
    yes its a 4.4 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by landy1765 View Post
    i reversed then drove forward and had no reverse since but forward all fine . not the slightest movement when in reverse . not even an engine drop in revs .

LEGACY VENDOR

I have a spare valve block assembly that you could try if you’d like?

Otherwise, it’s likely to be a clutch seal issue which will require a complete transmission rebuild I’m afraid. The last one that I fixed with identical symptoms to yours turned out to be the support bush O-rings that had failed which allowed leakage in the hydraulic circuit to the C-clutch.

Phil

FRESHMAN ROVER

Would this valve body be something I can try with the box still in the car .all pics I have seem to have the valve body lifted off . Any springs etc to fall out with the gearbox still in place and lowering the valve body ? . . I'm quite a handy mechanic but never really messed with auto's. how can I get this valve body . What way do you want work it .? Cheers for your help . Also I have been told it could be the drum cracked . Would I have some sort of drive with a cracked or broken drum . As I have nothing apart from the reverse and gear indicator light . When I'm home tomorrow I will try the 1st gear slowing down method

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by RRPhil View Post
    Paul,

I guess, therefore, that we should also put this down as a possibility – though I would have expected it to have affected forward drive as well as reverse? You say that it only caused a loss of drive in reverse in your case

Phil
    Yes, What was happening was that drive was (or seemed!) OK in the forward gears, but when you stopped and selected reverse nothing happened for a few seconds then it went in with a real bang, but then it was as if you were reversing in a manual car with the clutch half way in, loads or revs but not much motion!

When we took the car back to the gearbox shop in Reading, unfortunately we missed the turning and had to do a (very) slow 3 point turn!

They diagnosed the problem as being a crack in the valve block.

After about another year though we had to have the box fully rebuilt at TES Transmissions in Westbury, and their opinion of the firm in Reading was not very good.......

Past Rangies:
    4.6 V8 P38A Vogue (Blue)

FRESHMAN ROVER

im a pretty competant mechanic is it straigh forward enough to rebuild this box myself with the correct kit . also as i live in bournemouth are there any gear box referb company's to avoid in this area ? thanks for yall your postings and i will keep you in the picture on what is found wrong with the box

LEGACY VENDOR

Would this valve body be something I can try with the box still in the car
    Yes, the valve block can be replaced with the transmission in situ.

https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-r...tml#post247261

Any springs etc to fall out with the gearbox still in place and lowering the valve body ?
    Nope, nothing like that – all very straight-forward

I'm quite a handy mechanic but never really messed with auto's.
    Don’t worry, it’s dead easy – even I can do it. Just arm yourself with a T27 Torx driver and away you go......

how can I get this valve body . What way do you want work it .?
    You send me £25 via PayPal to pay for the postage, I send you the valve block (I’m assuming you’re in Bournemouth, Dorset and not Bournemouth, Michigan or something? – this being a highly international forum ). If it doesn’t fix the problem just remove it again & post it back to me. You’ve ‘wasted’ £50 but at least you know that you have an internal clutch problem and that your transmission has to come out. If it does fix the problem you send me your old valve block & I’ll either repair it for you or we can agree on a fair price for my valve block and you keep it.

(I realise that, as Land Rover charge over £2000 for a new valve block, I’m naive not asking for a deposit but I believe that forum members are basically decent and won’t abuse my trust)

I have been told it could be the drum cracked . Would I have some sort of drive with a cracked or broken drum
    The A-clutch drum failure only applied to early Jaguar & BMW transmissions built before November 2000. ZF had therefore fixed the problem before the Range Rover was introduced. In any case, this would only have affected forward gears.

Others may also tell you that the integrated F-clutch piston seal may have worn but, again, although this was a common cause for loss of reverse in early Jags & BMWs, it was sorted before the L322 was launched.

Let us know how you get on with your engine braking in 1st gear Manual

Phil

FRESHMAN ROVER

also as i live in bournemouth are there any gear box referb company's to avoid in this area ?
    Not sure about Bournemouth but I can highly recommend TES Transmissions in Westbury, Wiltshire.

Past Rangies:
    4.6 V8 P38A Vogue (Blue)

FRESHMAN ROVER

hi all im home from work and ready to start on the problem solving . it is bournemouth dorset i will try the engine breaking asap in the next hr . i will then know what to do in respects to the valve block . if it is the valve block what would the cost be for the swap without the postage . also im back at work wednesday afternoon so could this valve block get to me in time to try it . and possibly go to work in the landrover ..... what oil is best to put in the box when changed ?and any idea what solenoid do i look at on the valve body .... many thanks andy

FRESHMAN ROVER

hi all im home from work and ready to start on the problem solving . it is bournemouth dorset i will try the engine breaking asap in the next hr . i will then know what to do in respects to the valve block . if it is the valve block what would the cost be for the swap without the postage . also im back at work wednesday afternoon so could this valve block get to me in time to try it . and possibly go to work in the landrover ..... what oil is best to put in the box when changed ?and any idea what solenoid do i look at on the valve body .... many thanks andy
    i have just drove up the road and in first it didnt seem to brake at all when off the throttle . then i had a transmission fail safe on the dash then the gears changed to 5th . i put it back into auto but drives like a slipping clutch now . i pulled up in the house and tried reverse again and there does seem to be a wineing noise when i try to move backwards . no movement at all but noise . not too loud. this has changed in a week without driving it as it did drive last week forward all ok . mmmmmmm is it still worth changing the valve body ? . i was going to remove the oil today to see what thats like . cheers andy ps if you think the valve body could still be at fault im happy to try it . . i can remove it today but could do with moving with yours rr phil asap with a payment . what email ccan i use for payment to you . many thanks andy

LEGACY VENDOR

That sounds more serious now if it’s detecting clutch slip in the forward gears too (if the transmission ECU detects any clutch slip it automatically engages and locks in 4th gear and flags the TRANS FAILSAFE PROG message). Certainly worth checking the transmission fluid level - you must have the engine running while you do this and the fluid temperature should be around 40 deg.C – just do a search on here for full instructions.

You should only use Mobil ATF LT71141 fluid in your 5HP24 transmission - popularly referred to as ‘liquid gold’ because it’s so expensive. Cheapest I’ve seen it is on eBay for £9.86/litre. If you drain & refill with fresh fluid it will cost you at least £50 and won’t make any difference – you’d be much better putting the money towards your repairs.

It’s up to you if you want to give the replacement valve block a try. I could get it to you for Tuesday. You’d also need around 6 litres of new fluid, preferably a new filter and also a sump pan gasket if you went this route. You’d also be able to check the condition of the sump magnets at the same time. I’ll turn my Private Messaging on if you want to contact me.

Phil
    Last edited by RRPhil; April 20th, 2013 at 04:18 AM. Reason: Fluid quantity changed from 5 to 6 litres

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now