L322 auto box no reverse but all forward ok and no error message why? - Page 3
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: L322 auto box no reverse but all forward ok and no error message why?

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: L322 auto box no reverse but all forward ok and no error

Hi Phil....thanks again for the info. I guess I was expecting that kind of news, just didn't want to admit to myself that it would be as drastic a repair as that. Just gave the bad news to the missus, you'd think the house had burnt down based on her reaction....come to think of it, I shouldn't joke about such things with the luck I'm having recently. Anyway, I digress, she is keen to get it repaired asap as she is now back in her Vauxhall Meriva 1.4 (with the noisiest tappets in Nottingham) and she is not happy about...not one bit. I'm unsure as to what is reasonable in terms of a rebuild cost but having had a quick look around it looks like Birch 4x4 in Liverpool offer a recon gearbox, removal of old and re-fitting of recon one for £1094 with 12 months warranty. Have you ever heard of these guys? is that a reasonable cost? or could you indeed recommend anyone else, perhaps closer to Nottingham/ East midlands? As ever.....appreciate your input Dave

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

LEGACY VENDOR

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thanks Phil - quite insightful and ill esnure im careful with my selection given, it would appear, that even 'some' garages can only aspire to produce workmanship to your standard.

ill keep looking and getting quotes as i cant bare to see the car poorly.

cheers
    Dave

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Sorry to resurrect this old post but I am having the same problem, except I loose forward drive when the auto box gets upto temp with reverse and low range still being functional. It is a 2002 4.4 v8 with 136k on the clock - no other signs of failure before hand and have been advised it is the valve block, could you confirm?

Thanks,
    Chris

LEGACY VENDOR

Hi Chris, and welcome to the forum.

Do you get ‘TRANS FAILSAFE PROG’ displayed on the message centre once the transmission gets warm, and does it return to normal operation when it’s cold?

Phil

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Hi Phil, thanks for getting back to me - when the car is cold, it is like there is nothing wrong at all as all gears are working fine, even shifting through manually. Once warm I notice that it gradually starts to "slip" gears - it will not fault unless you apply more throttle and a slight thump as it "grips" then trans failsafe is displayed then I am locked to 5th only, the car is barely driveable when it gets to that stage with the exception of reverse. I have scanned it with the genuine allcomms software and no faults appear on the gearbox module, but there was faults on the transfer box but I put that down to low battery as the car has been sat for a couple of weeks now due to not being reliable for getting to work. I will pull the faults from the txt file on my laptop tomorrow and post them

LEGACY VENDOR

Okay, let's see what fault codes come up. Both low battery voltage and a faulty transfer box shift motor potentiometer are very common causes of the failsafe message. Having said that, it does sound suspiciously like your B-clutch hub/C-clutch drum axial needle bearing has failed, though : https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-...tml#post998346

Phil

FRESHMAN ROVER

Sorry for the late post, couldn't find the charger for my laptop as currently moving house and everything is everywhere.

Fault codes are as follows:

----------------------------------------------------------------
    MKIII Communications Performed by RSWsolutions - All Comms Software.
    L322 5HP24 Transmission Module Query Results: Performed on 07/05/2019 07:42:38 PM
    !.
    Transmission Module Fault Reading Complete...

MKIII Communications Performed by RSWsolutions - All Comms Software.
    L322 Transfer Box Module Query Results: Performed on 07/05/2019 07:42:52 PM
    Transfer Box Module Fault Reading Complete...

0x5212 0x5212 Battery undervoltage (0x5212).
    0x52ED 0x52ED INSTR2 lost from CAN (0x52ED).

Thanks,
    Chris

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Just took her round the block now to give her a quick charge up and within 5 mins started to slip, had her in manual shift and when you go to rev she takes control of the shifting and slips to the next gear, 2, 3 then 4 - no failsafe coming up even though gears are locked, reverse up the drive back into manual and 1st is available again repeating the above.

Chris

LEGACY VENDOR

When you say “started to slip” do you mean with the vehicle stationary or moving? Is the problem only with 1st gear when you try to set off, and all the other gears work fine?

Phil

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Ok so from the first start, when cold all forward gears work fine from stationary and in motion in high and low range including reverse. When the car gets upto temp, and you are in motion it will begin to slip, this then makes moving from stationary very difficult and I have avoided "straining" it, reverse will act fine with zero slip from stationary - easily reversing back onto my drive with a slight incline to get in. It is like the car thinks the car is upto speed when it changes gear i.e. revs over say 3k but it just slips gradually to 4th with slight drive and will stay locked in that gear - if i give it a bit more revs so it slips excessively it will then fault into 5th with trans failsafe message.

Hope this helps - greatly appreciate your advice as I've seen you've been able to help others.

Chris

LEGACY VENDOR

Failing safe into 5th gear usually points to an issue with the A-clutch (the transmission should failsafe into 4th by default). The error codes that you’ve read don’t seem to bear any resemblance to your symptoms. If you reset the codes and then get the transmission to failsafe again does it produce the same identical codes?

I’m just wondering whether it might be an idea to supply you with a fully rebuilt and tested valve body assembly to try, to see if it fixes the issue. If it didn’t then the problem lies within the running gear and would require the transmission to be removed from the vehicle and stripped down to fix the fault.

Phil

FRESHMAN ROVER
    It is a strange one, the codes had been cleared before I read them again however the codes already pre-existed in a previous routine scan in January in which the car has operated fine since then until the day this fault occurred (checked log history) which leads me to think that the codes are purely related to low battery voltages - the day this happened I stripped the sump off, changed the filter, oil, trans cooler and of course the trans cooler thermostat (thought it may have been overheating) but didn't make any difference or improvement nor did I discover any obvious reasons for failiure while I was in there.

I would greatly appreciate if I could try a valve body as I had already been looking but can only find valve body's from the jag incarnation of this box, I have a sneaky suspicion that mine has cracked (found its a common problem on the jags - all seem to have failed in the exact same area).

Chris

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Hi Phil, just wondering if you could supply a valve body to try?

Just let me know how you want to go about it and we can sort it out, if your local to Warrington then I could pop up to see you if you'd prefer? If it doesn't work, I will just pull the gearbox and refurb it - if you can supply parts? Really need to get her back on the road before she just rots away in my garden, it's a shame as she is a good example!

Thanks, Chris

LEGACY VENDOR

You need a ‘350’ valve body assembly for your Range Rover, which includes all the development mods. that ZF introduced during the 5HP24’s production life.

The common crack in the upper valve body doesn’t really produce the symptoms that you’ve described, which is why I asked if the problem only occurred in 1st gear and if all of the other gears worked fine.

https://youtu.be/wUsc-sNFvJU

I’ll send you a PM regarding fixing you up with a replacement valve body assembly to try.

Phil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now