Key Programming - Should I risk it!? - Page 2
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Key Programming - Should I risk it!?

MrE
    FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Key Programming - Should I risk it!?

I have a 2004 HSE that had a single key (in bad shape) when I bought it. I called the Land Rover dealer and was quoted $300 for an additional key. Instead I bought a AK90+ key programmer and blank key fobs off of eBay from programtheremote.com. The EEPROM chips in both the keys that I bought couldn't be programmed, so I got some PCF7935AS transponder chips from Locksmith Keyless for $3.70 each and fixed that issue. I now have 3 working and synced keys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SOLIHULL ROVER

Mr E I hope you can elaborate on your process and what the key programmer cost as this would be very helpful for those of us less capable.
    2008 Alaska white SC with 128,000 mi. latest diff folly. 2004 Epson green 275k kms now for sale. also 1952 Hough payloader 1959 Nuffield 4DM
    2000 kent green 4.0 SE sold
    2003 GMC 1500 AWD window van 5.3 L love it in the snow & rain-anytime [on mich ltd m&s ll] 200 plus K miles. getting very rusty.

MrE
    FRESHMAN ROVER

Sorry for not including what the AK90+ cost, $31.99 on eBay and shipped from China. Amazon has them but when I checked they were $99. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=1679006789006

The process is to remove the center console to provide access to the EWS box which is right next to the ignition switch. YouTube video -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2SDrtrEjV4&t=8s

You need to take the electronics out of the plastic box and connect the AK90+ cable to the chip to read and save the .bin file. There are numerous videos on YouTube, search AK90+.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

I purchased a 2008 3.6TDV8 at the weekend and it came with only one key. I had won the car a few days previous to collecting on an eBay auction so started last week to look at options to gain a second key.

I started off with the main dealer. Cost to provide a second coded key (3 button remote) that I was quoted was £300 including VAT. I then contacted several auto locksmiths in the area all of which were far from confidence giving. From some saying its a dealer job mate, others saying buy a key and we will see what we can do for £60 programming and £10 cutting to most just not bothering to respond to my email contact using mostly their on site submission forms. I had no choice but to spread the net wider and finally had a within one hour response from an outfit in Rowley Regis who quoted my £35 for the key, £60 for programming and £30 for a new key to replace the worn original I had (transfer over transponder from the original).

Drove the 40 miles to the auto locksmith yesterday and it wasn't easy for them. Three coding machines later and I had two working keys with new blades and fobs and one recycled transponder. For what the dealer would charge £460 the locksmith charged me £135. So it can be done on later model L322's but you do need to find a willing or should that read competent locksmith. As a footnote both key fobs are land rover branded. I never asked for an authenticity certificate on this.

Sorry to jump in, but to confirm, If I buy this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Range-Rover...08715#viTabs_0 and I have a Gap IIDTool I should be good to go ?

Thanks.
    2013 RRS SC Autobiography, Indus Silver on Ebony/Cirrus
    * tuned by VAP (stage 1)

I don't know if you can rewrite an immobilizer chip once its been written to and they are not to clear on what an unlocked fob is. All FOBs can be reprogrammed to lock and unlock your doors pretty easily and as long as they are the proper frequency (317Mhz, or 433 MHz) yours is a 433 Mhz (I think), my 06 is a 317Mhz. Worst case, you would just need to get a new blank immobilizer chip for less than 10 bucks if you couldn't program the existing chip. Note that the immobilizer system chip programming is completely different than the door lock/unlock functions that the dealers try to charge you 50 or 60 bucks for, which is actually just synchronizing your FOB to the door lock/unlock module.
    M Canning
    Massachusetts, USA
    2006 HSE Bonnati Grey/Charcoal Interior

FRESHMAN ROVER

I think you may be confusing the fob transponder with the car immobiliser when talking chips. I did some background reading about getting a second key and the information I gleaned which may or may not be entirely accurate is that the car can be programmed to accept 10 paired keys. Ten is the limit, no more is possible and nothing can be overwritten. The key transponder is a one of flash and the car can be programmed to accept that key transponder as one of the available ten.
    Last edited by RRToadHall; May 28th, 2018 at 01:43 AM.

The older BMV based ones can have their immobilizer module reprogrammed to accept one of 10 different chips in a key, the 06 and up RR's are completely different, the immobilizer module can't be reprogrammed. You have to match the chip in the key to one of the preprogrammed codes in the immobilizer. 've gone from 1 working key to 5 on my 06, so I do know how to program new chips without going to the dealers.
    M Canning
    Massachusetts, USA

FRESHMAN ROVER

So NA 2006's are 317MHZ? Which would explain why my new Fob won't sync as it is 433mhz

Yes they are. NA changed to 433 in 2010 I think, but an 06 is definitely 317Mhz
    M Canning
    Massachusetts, USA

FRESHMAN ROVER

315 or 317mhz?

Anyone have the key re-sync procedure handy for 2012 RR HSE? My fob isnt working anymore (replaced battery) and car isn't recognizing key.
    1994 RRC LWB
    2005 RR L322 HSE
    1997 NAS D90 SW
    1988 951S silberosa
    3 prior '95 RRCs, of which I really miss one of them

FRESHMAN ROVER

Hi Folks,
    I have one of the "unusual" infrared remote locking systems on my Japanese imported 2004 HSE, why it is infrared and not radio frequency I do not know, however, after having to jump into the local river and swim over to rescue the dog who had got caught up in briar before he finally went under (he's got the looks but not the brains) I found that I'd removed everything from my pockets except the car key. Hence a very soggy key, twenty four hours of drying in the airing cupboard and new batteries and it seemed to be working. Used the same procedure here but pointed the remote at the red thingy under the mirror and pressed one of the buttons (as per instructions on Bimmerboard.com) and this eventually worked after a few tries, however, the other key stopped working, found you have to reset all keys or none..
    Happy bunny here as I'm not going to have to go to the stealer yet.
    2004 4.4 L322 HSE Zambezi Silver pre-loved Jap import
    Previously a 1998 4.0SE Rioja Red, pre loved Jap import
    "I bet you didn't mean to do that!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now