Armored Range Rover L322
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Armored Range Rover L322

FRESHMAN ROVER

Armored Range Rover L322

Hello members, I just got a L322 2003 Range Rover. Waiting for delivery, happy to be about to join the 'owners club'
    Found one with little over 20k miles, I average 3k miles each year. It is the B4 armored version.
    I have picked up a lot of comments on poor quality control from the factory, and some frequent maintenance issues from online forums. Would you believe it is doomed to visit the garage every other month?
    I figured the low mileage from the vehicle and the light use I do would compensate a bit, so I was not doing a terrible decision, any thoughts?
    Is there an average mileage when problems begin to occur, even on a well kept car, or it seems to be random?

Thanks for this great site, I wish we can all enjoy our RRs in great health.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Armored Range Rover L322

i
    They are not that bad, make suere latest diff mod is done or it will def break.
    Blackbox would be good as well.

FRESHMAN ROVER

they are not that bad, the amored version will drink a bit more fuel as a standard L322 is around 2.8 tons and an armored version is around 4-5 tons the front diff universal joint needs to have been changed from what i remember i think the armored version has a slightly different air suspension setup to cope with the extra weight, other than that it is almost a standard L322

Matt

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Why would you want an armored one? There is a huge handling and performance tradeoff. It's a single-purpose vehicle meant for the .01% of customers that need protection.
    2016 Range Rover HSE TD6
    2012 LR4 HSE Lux
    2010 Range Rover Supercharged
    2006 Range Rover HSE

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thanks for the input guys. It is undergoing insurance inspection today.
    The dealer told me diff is ok and there is a 6 month warranty on engine and transmition. I didn't get the chance to look under the car, I´ll do so this week. Did Land Rover actually issued an recall for the diff ? If so I´ll get a copy of the document in case I need to have it serviced. (do recalls have time deadlines?)

What do you mean by blackbox?

The radio unit is the non screen one, unlikelly for the vogue edition right? I wounder if it could be upgraded just by changing the dashboard unit or if it would require a major electronic upgrade in the trunk/module area? I´m not shure about phone integration either, there is a buton on the wheel but I believe there is no bluetooth untill 2006?

In my opinion the tradeoff is worth the protection against kidnapping and urban violence.

Thanks again

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by rangeaf
    In my opinion the tradeoff is worth the protection against kidnapping and urban violence.
    Dude, where do you live where this is enough concern to buy an armoured vehicle??? And please tell me you're worth over $500 million. Otherwise...

FRESHMAN ROVER

have a look at powerfulukltd.co.uk you will be able to upgrade your radio to a touch screen from there gear without cutting or adding any wires.
    hope this helps
    ian

p.s everyone to there own so enjoy your FFRR
    2002 TD6 Vogue

FRESHMAN ROVER

Post some pictures of it.
    2004 Range Rover Westminster
    2006 Mercedes CLS500

FRESHMAN ROVER

I am assuming he lives in Nairobi or some other crime-infested city. If he says London or New York, I will find him and smack him.
    -----------------
    Range Rover HSE 2008

Brazil
    When dealing with yourself, act with your brain
    When dealing others, act with your heart.

The front diff should be replaced by the dealer for free under the recall whether it has failed or not. Make sure they do this if its not already done.

On the armored piece, if you really think then you may be a victim of gun crime or kidnapping maybe its worth it then for piece of mind for you and the family. Do you get run flat tires with it also then?
    RR 2004 HSE Chawton White

FRESHMAN ROVER

Hi
    Blackbox is a diagnostics box (fault mate or msv2).
    These rangies are prone to generating problems that are not real. A reset will often sort out an issue.
    If not you at least can get home using one.
    Phil

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Ezah_Dubai
    Do you get run flat tires with it also then?
    Meh.

Spend the money on the flamethrower option instead
    http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/africa/9812/11 ... rower.car/

FRESHMAN ROVER

Great, I just received the car from the dealer, all the modules where checked, the car received service regarding front drive shaft (q041 in 200.
    It is a pleasure to share with this community how majestic the ride quality feels.
    The only issues are bluetooth phone and ipod integration that did not come from factory, as well as sat nav.
    There is a 6 disc cd player in the glove box that I`ll be filling with my favorite arias.
    Can TPMS be retrofitted as a stand alone system or it requires integration with new electronics? I have a blank button under the DSC indicator.

Can I upload picture files with the post or do I have to have them hosted online?

Thanks again for all the information and tips so far.

I realize this thread is 8 years old now, but by any chance can rangeaf update us on how the armored L322 is working for you? Is it still running and can you also post pictures of it?

Finally, some of the comments by the naysayers on this thread are off-putting and presumptuous. Everyone's personal security needs and practices are individual to them. It's no one else's business whether you need an armored vehicle or not. But in my humble opinion, if I could have one, I would absolutely cherish it.

Thanks
    MJR
    2004 Range Rovers, HSE (L322, M62TUB V8 4.4L)
    Rover 1: Java Black,
    Sand Interior, Piano Black Custom Trim, Heated Steering Wheel and Heated Comfort Seats Retrofit, Factory Front Brush Guard and Fixed Side Steps
    Rover 2: Java Black, Charcoal Interior, Piano Black Custom Trim, Tow Package, Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit
    North American Spec

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now