Tranny issues! 1-3 gear only no 4th or 5th
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tranny issues! 1-3 gear only no 4th or 5th

Tranny issues! 1-3 gear only no 4th or 5th

2003 L322 driving over 150 miles today truck ran great until issue came about where only 1-3 gears are working no 4th and 5th (tried trip tonic still wouldn’t go past 3rd) . Turned the truck off and back on still same symptoms. Let sit for 20 mins pulled battery terminal and back in business .... towed the truck home just to avoid further damage . Any ideas on what it could be ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Tranny issues! 1-3 gear only no 4th or 5th

Don't worry Chafero1, you didn't break it. You just made it sad, that's all. It went into unannounced transmission cooling mode, which it enters at 284F tranny temp and exits at 266F. A higher level of concern is the visual and audible chime with the "Trans Overheat" message, which presumably reflects something over 284F. The purpose of the cooling mode is to keep engine speed high, and therefore coolant and trans fluid flows high through the transmission cooler. In the NEAR term it's OK to continue driving it if it doesn't go into the mode again, and probably even if it does for brief periods -- mine predictably does so on long uphill grades while towing a 5,000 lb camping trailer. But park your ride if this is a chronic problem, or limit yourself to neighborhood treks. Pulling off the road and fast-idling in neutral for 2 minutes will generally lower trans temps significantly, I have found, including taking temps below "Overheat" on brutally steep 15 MPH switchback mountains while towing.

A Rover shop can flow test your trans cooler with compressed air, as they can sometimes clog. The bottom eight rows of the radiator feed the trans cooler, so if the radiator's clogged, even a new trans cooler may not function. My trans cooler thermostat was replaced before I bought my ride, so those can fail too. Per the Robison Service website, a larger Rover shop, the entire BMW cooling system including water pump is suspect by 100,000 miles, with preventive parts replacement suggested. Both the cooling mode and component failures mentioned are common for L322s. Inquire with your shop about a trans fluid and filter change while you're at it.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Tranny issues! 1-3 gear only no 4th or 5th

The internal transmission temperature sensor harness can fail too, although my Rover mechanic once told me "If it's going into cooling mode or otherwise suggesting 'hot,' that might typically suggest the harness IS working properly, rather than malfunctioning. It's actively telling you there's a problem." The harness can be tested through an ohms diagnostic test.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now