Longevity of BMW 4.4L Ignition Coils
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Longevity of BMW 4.4L Ignition Coils

FRESHMAN ROVER

I have a U.S. 2004 L322 with the BMW M62 mill, 112,000 miles. I use it pretty much exclusively for towing a camping trailer to remote mountain and desert locales, and therefore have tried to preventively replace some underhood items that were likely due for failure anyway, including the water pump. (Perhaps I should have done the same for the alternator, which died violently a month ago outside a mountain town in a smoke-filled, screaming rage.) Find places on the map where there are definitely NO Rover shops around, and that's where my L322 lives.

I currently have one spare, new ignition coil I keep in the ride in case one fails. I think I recall a Land Rover mechanic telling me "100K-150K miles" as a typical failure point for M62 coils. Does that sound about right? If they're mostly spent by this point, I might just consider replacing them all with new....or not....depends.

Sounds like the fuel injectors have a somewhat longer lifespan, and therefore shouldn't be an issue other than perhaps carrying one spare.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

I have two 2004 rovers and use all Uro coils in both. The factory coils started failing at around 100k miles. I’ve been using Uro coils successfully for 4 years in Rover 1 with no issues. Rover 2 just got all new Uro coils too and runs great. You can pick them up from AutoHausAZ.com

Given your use case for the Rover I would highly recommend doing the timing chain guides. Belt pulleys and tensioners and mounting bolts. Also transfer case and differential fluid flush and transmission fluid and filter change. At 112k mikes your car is due for the timing chain guide. And tensioners. It’s a ticking time bomb otherwise. Add new brake hoses to that too.
    MJR
    2004 Range Rovers, HSE (L322, M62TUB V8 4.4L)
    Rover 1: Java Black,
    Sand Interior, Piano Black Custom Trim, Heated Steering Wheel and Heated Comfort Seats Retrofit, Factory Front Brush Guard and Fixed Side Steps
    Rover 2: Java Black, Charcoal Interior, Piano Black Custom Trim, Tow Package, Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit
    North American Spec

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Longevity of BMW 4.4L Ignition Coils

Thanks for the feedback, mjrgroup. Appreciate the info on both 100K mile coil failures and the Uro brand replacements -- I didn't really know which replacement brands were preferred.

I've done a lot of preventive maintenance, including changing all fluids other than power steering. One thing I was considering next is the drive belt pulley/tensioner since those don't appear very pricey. On this board I've seen failure modes for the timing chain guides all over the place, including failures at 106K miles, 160K, and 230K. The failure point seems HEAVILY dependent on motor oil service history. My 112K mile L322, which I purchased a year ago, appears to have been well serviced, and I only drive 8K miles a year with a camping trailer, so I'm not overly concerned about the guides (up to 40 hours of replacement labor, I once read). But for others' daily driver or higher-mileage L322s, yes, your point is well taken regarding the timing chains.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

I've got about 190k miles on my 2003 that I've had since 2008 at about 55k miles.
    I've only had one coil fail and need replacement. I have had a couple of instances over the years where something happens and it acts like a possible coil failure, then works fine on the next start, after shutting-off for a while. It seems oddly more like an occasional comm bus problem.
    I bought another replacement coil when that happened about a year ago, but haven't needed it yet - no reoccurrence since.

When the actual coil failure happened about 4 years ago, at about 155,000 miles I bought the replacement locally at Autozone. But the other more recent one, I didn't need urgently (and haven't needed yet), so I go it on Rock Auto. It's on the shelf in the garage.
    '03 Range Rover HSE
    Black
    '12 Range Rover HSE 'Lux'
    White

JUNIOR ROVER

2005 L322 M62: Just turned 206,000 miles with Orig Coils.
    05 HSE 4.4 (Daily)
    95 RRC SWB 3.9 (Storage)
    15 LR4 HSE LUX w/HD (Wife)
    97 NAS 90
    03 E46 M3
    86 930 (400HP and climbing...Adrenaline rush when the boost comes...)

So I decided to just replace all the coils with brand new ones in both rovers for peace of mind, but I saved the original 8 that were still working on Rover 2 and have them listed on eBay. If you want them to keep handy for spares, let me know. I'm asking $40 for all 8 plus whatever it costs to ship to you.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Range-R...temCondition=4
    MJR
    2004 Range Rovers, HSE (L322, M62TUB V8 4.4L)
    Rover 1: Java Black,
    Sand Interior, Piano Black Custom Trim, Heated Steering Wheel and Heated Comfort Seats Retrofit, Factory Front Brush Guard and Fixed Side Steps
    Rover 2: Java Black, Charcoal Interior, Piano Black Custom Trim, Tow Package, Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit
    North American Spec

All of my M62 trucks had original coils up to 200k miles.
    Another reason I love the M62

However loud/clackity it runs, it runs nice and smooth.
    I'm the guy that buys a chicken salad to only eat the chicken
    2017 Range Rover HSE
    2014 Range Rover Sport Dynamic

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thanks for the feedback, folks. Including my ride, here's a roundup of ignition coil lifespans mentioned above (miles, number of coils replaced):

-100K-150K typical failure point, per my Rover mechanic
    -100K miles, 1 or more replaced
    -112K miles, 0 replaced
    -155K miles, 1 replaced (no further failures at 190K miles)
    -200K miles, 0 replaced
    -206K miles, 0 replaced

Shorter version: Perhaps these electro-pups last a bit longer than I thought or had heard. I might just settle with storing one new spare under the hatch and leaving it at that.

SOPHOMORE ROVER

I replace all eight coils when one went bad on my 2004 L322 - that was at 162K miles.
    2006 Range Rover HSE 4.4L AJ41
    2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4L M62

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now