5.0l l322 s/c fuel filter
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 5.0l l322 s/c fuel filter

FRESHMAN ROVER

5.0l l322 s/c fuel filter

I have a 2011 l322 s/c with 60k miles on it. Workshop manual states a 10 yr/150k mile service interval. Does anyone know if this filter ( in the fuel tank) is more of a screen (stone stopper) or a fine filter( say 20 micron) that needs to be serviced more frequently,say every 30k miles? Any thoughts welcome. Regards
    2011 l322 5.0l supercharged

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: 5.0l l322 s/c fuel filter

Does anyone have any experience replacing this fuel filter?

Quote Originally Posted by Ahbt7 View Post
    Does anyone have any experience replacing this fuel filter?
    The Workshop manual is a bit contradictory regarding the topic. Here are some excerpts directly from the Workshop manual:
    Quote Originally Posted by Workshop Manual Section 310-01B
    If the fuel filter becomes blocked a new fuel pump and sender unit must be installed.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    On the underside of the flange, inside the tank, is a moulded housing which contains the non-serviceable fuel filter. Fuel
    from the fuel pump enters the base of the housing and passes through the filter before exiting the tank to the fuel rail or
    the FFBH pump, if fitted. An electrical connection on the base of the filter housing provides a ground for the filter.
    In contradiction to the above: there does appear to be a serviceable filter P/N (LR014995) available via Land Rover, that can be purchased independently from the fuel pump. The workshop also suggest it can be replaced separately. The coverplate that provides access is under the rear seat & carpet. There is a lock-ring that must be removed to pull out the fuel filter assembly, which has an electrical connector and two quick connect fuel lines.

All that said, the filter appears to be more than a course mesh sock and is likely a finer micron pleated filter element. However, given the high quality fuel available in USA it is unlikely you will need to replace fuel filter as preventative maintenance. I would suspect the filter life to match the life of the fuel pump. If your fuel pump ever dies, that is when I'd replace the filter.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thank your for your research and reply billconn. I also noticed a low fuel pressure sensor upstream from the fuel filter behind the left front inner fender. I suspect if fuel pressure dropped because of restricted filter or fuel pump going bad it would set a code for this. Thanks again for your help!

I know the fuel filter is in the tank on the 06 to 09 RR's. It is in the passenger side (North America) fuel tank opening in the top of the tank. You need to fold the rear seats forward, remove the seat locking bars, pull the rug under the seats up (not as bad as it sounds) to get to the inspection covers on the tank. Remove the right side cover (4X10mm screws) and you will see the top of the fuel filter under there attached to the top of the tank. Disconnect the fuel line and electrical connector and then unthread the locking ring (theres a special tool but you can do it with a wooden dowel and a deadblow hammer. The fuel filter will pull straight out. Then you need to disconnect the inner fuel lines and electrical connectors and put the new one in, and then seal everything back up. Get a new inner gasket for the tank top (and get ready to fight with it to keep it lined up), and be prepared to spill gas, as theres about a cups worth inside the filter. Make sure you have something to put it in before tilting it.

I'm assuming a 2010 is somewhat similar to the 06 to 09 setup with an in fuel tank pump and filter feeding the high pressure pumps on the engine. I think the definition of Non Serviceable fuel filter above means you replace it, you can't clean it or change the filter element.
    M Canning
    Massachusetts, USA
    2006 HSE Bonnati Grey/Charcoal Interior

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thank you for the information Mark C, Any thoughts as to why such a long service interval, 10 yrs/150k miles?

I think most of the world doesn't have issues with the quality (or at least cleanliness) of the fuel you put in the tank anymore. I took my filter out of my 06 at about 180K miles and there wasn't one bit of dirt, or trash in the bottom of my fuel tank. If it didn't smell like gas you would have no problem literally eating off the bottom of my tank, so I think that for most of us highway driving soccer moms and dads, changing the fuel filter is just a once in a lifetime type maintenance issue. Now if you're living in the bush of central Africa, or maybe the Philippines and filling the tank from fuel cans or barrels then maybe the fuel filter needs to be changed more frequently.
    M Canning
    Massachusetts, USA
    2006 HSE Bonnati Grey/Charcoal Interior

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now