M62 Vanos questions
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: M62 Vanos questions

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Hi guys I have a 05 Range Rover with a M62 engine that I had to retime because of replacing chain guides. I have installed everything back so far except for valve covers. But before finishing up I have 2 questions for any of those who may have done this job.

1) I used timing kit cam lock blocks and flywheel pin to time everything. Intake cam pins showed continuity and I tightened everything up. But when I remove cam blocks, passenger side intake cam shifts out of position while driver side does not. However if I manually retard bank1 intake cam with a wrench to fit cam block back on I get continuity. Is that ok or is it out of time and have to be redone?

2) I have read about the Vanos bolt or timing wheel nut coming loose on its own after bieng removed and reinstalled. How often does that happen? I tourqued the cam bolt an extra 15lbf for 96lbf and the nut an extra 5 lbf for 35lbf. Think that would be ok or should I take it apart again and use loctite?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

1. That is normal for the passenger side cam to spring back slightly into its place.
    2. I have not ran into any issue reusing mine. But it is always safe to use new bolts when doing that kind of work.
    2005 RR HSE 4.4 Java Black
    2004 RR HSE 4.4 Zambezi Silver

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Cool thank you very much I’m going to finish up valve covers now then. The workshop service manual mentions needing a new bolt for the crank because it’s a torque to yield bolt but didn’t mention the same for the cams so I figured it would be ok to reuse the old one. Thanks again. I’ve got my fingers crossed.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: M62 Vanos questions

1. Absolutely normal, what's important is when you retard bank 1 fully, that the cam blocks then should slide right over it.

2. We replaced all 4 bolts, plus the impulse wheels and locking nut and initially locktited everything, but after having to redo the job 4 times due to mistakes on our part, we didn't put any locktite back on. I think what's most important to do is clean out all the grease and oil from those thread holes which might act like the reverse of locktite.

Taking it apart up to the upper timing case covers, retiming it and putting it back together should take about 4-6 hours, which imo isn't too much hassle to do the job correctly for peace of mind. I would take those bolts out, clean out the holes real good with carb or brake cleaner and then locktite everything, but be careful not to get locktite in the VANOS transmission oil holes when inserting the bolt back through.
    MJR
    2004 Range Rovers, HSE (L322, M62TUB V8 4.4L)
    Rover 1: Java Black,
    Sand Interior, Piano Black Custom Trim, Heated Steering Wheel and Heated Comfort Seats Retrofit, Factory Front Brush Guard and Fixed Side Steps
    Rover 2: Java Black, Charcoal Interior, Piano Black Custom Trim, Tow Package, Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit
    North American Spec

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now