New to me L322
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to me L322

FRESHMAN ROVER

New to me L322

Alright so for starters, this RR came to our shop with a myriad of issues. Customer traded it in and I inherited it. It's a 2003 so literally the worst year for the L322 but I'm determined to keep this one alive. 206k on the original drivetrain. No rust. I'd like to see how far she'll go.

So far I've swapped the wheels and tires for stock since they had these fugly RR sport wheels on it with awful curb rash. Then I did AB's coil conversion since 3 of the 4 air bags were blown. No point fixing that. After that was a complete fluid flush on everything but the tranny. That's in the works. Then the typical, spark plugs, filters, valley pan water gasket, thermostat, hoses, PCV valve, etc.

Some small bugs I'm having a hard time chasing down are some codes.

I'll keep throwing parts at it as needed but some help with diag would be appreciated. Naturally with the miles I'm checking wiring as best as I can but there are a lot of them.

P0010 ("A" cam position actuator circuit bank 1 drive cycle C)
    P0340 (Cam position sensor "A" circuit bank 1 or single Drive cycle A)
    P1174 (System too lean bank 2 drive cycle C)
    P2A03 (o2 sensor circuit range performace bank 2 sensor 1 drive cycle C)
    P0443 (Evap emission system PCV circuit Drive cycle C)

Thanks again, I'll keep researching as best as I can.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: New to me L322

So to progress I went ahead and swapped both O2 sensors on the up stream. Got rid of codes P2A03 and P1174. Appears P0443 hasn't returned either. Guessing it's a wiring issue to be intermittent. Combing through the wiring harness to find the issue with the Cam sensors. Haven't found anything yet but I'll keep hunting.

Also on the removal of the air suspension, I went ahead and pulled the EAS module, Air pump, most of the air lines, and air tank to remove weight and make some room for storage. So far by pulling the fuse for the EAS module, I haven't had any weird problems other than the "Air suspension Inop" message.

Figured I'd upload a picture of my project. [IMG]https://i.redd.it/jha07wwsgc831.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New to me L322-jha07wwsgc831.jpg  
    2003 Range Rover L322

FRESHMAN ROVER

Congrats. I also have a high mileage RR 2002 as my project car. Actually the same mileage as yours. Just recently done a transmission swap.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Very cool! Hopefully the slush box doesn't give out any time soon on mine. So far so good. Just lots of petty issues in my opinion. Your '02 is a P38 right? Has more in common with my Discos haha. Overall a better adventure rig in my opinion. The L322 is pretty much just going to be a pavement and fire road type of rig for me. Wouldn't trust it where I send my Disco's haha.

Another update. The system too lean/rich and o2 codes returned. Swapped the MAF this time and it seems to have done the trick. Also flipped the Cam sensor to see if the problem moved with it and sure enough it did. The engine has started to stall on me so I ordered two new cam sensors since they're easy enough to swap out. Only code that I haven't really addressed is the PCV one. Going to test that circuit with the instructions from another post on here. Great resources here.
    2003 Range Rover L322

Congrats and thank you for rescuing another 03-05 L322; in my opinion they are the most gorgeous rovers and I like them even more than the later model L322s (call me crazy).

In Europe, the L322s were introduced in part of 2002, whereas in the USA 2002 was still P38.

Regarding the system too lean code, that can be caused by an intake air hose/boot that may be leaky. So check for intake leaks. Also check the condition of all your vacuum lines especially around the PCV on the rear of the intake manifold. Those PCV valves get sticky and if they fail in the closed position then you can have crazy crankcase pressure issues that result in blowing seals. You're going to want to remove the intake manifold and replace all the hoses, including the oil separator and PCV valve on the back of the intake manifold. Change the valley pan while you're there too.

The O2 codes may be changed by replacing all your o2 sensors, which is easy to do. You don't need to use Bosch but can use Wagner-branded ones which go for about $30 a piece, and you'll need 4: two downstream and two upstream. Find them at Rock Auto.

The only thing that really saddens me to hear is the removal of your air suspension system. It is a premium and terrific system, which in my humble opinion, is worth keeping operating. When it's taken care of it works so well.

Welcome to the forums. BTW I used to live in your neck of the woods and for a short while lived in Portland. Gorgeous landscape and perfect for the Rover.
    MJR
    2004 Range Rovers, HSE (L322, M62TUB V8 4.4L)
    Rover 1: Java Black,
    Sand Interior, Piano Black Custom Trim, Heated Steering Wheel and Heated Comfort Seats Retrofit, Factory Front Brush Guard and Fixed Side Steps
    Rover 2: Java Black, Charcoal Interior, Piano Black Custom Trim, Tow Package, Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit
    North American Spec

FRESHMAN ROVER

So I already replaced most of what you mentioned. Only replaced the upstream o2 sensors so I might need to order the downstream ones as well.

With a new MAF, Cam Pos Sensor, all new filters, and a bunch of other parts I'm still having a hard time idling. She hovers around 250-600ish rpms moving back and forth. It'll also stall out randomly at idle which is a pain. Or just not want to get moving. Trying to search for my issue. Any thoughts would be great.

Also found out that BMW/LR had the bank 1/bank 2 definitions different that every other car on the market for the NAS. Bank 2 is my drivers side I believe?
    2003 Range Rover L322

down stream sensors are only for verification they have no impact on emissions... since you replaced the upstream sensors can we assume you have no O2 sensor errors?
    When dealing with yourself, act with your brain
    When dealing others, act with your heart.

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by RRToadHall View Post
    down stream sensors are only for verification they have no impact on emissions... since you replaced the upstream sensors can we assume you have no O2 sensor errors?
    Post #2 from the OP: "So to progress I went ahead and swapped both O2 sensors on the up stream. Got rid of codes P2A03 and P1174."
    2006 Range Rover HSE 4.4L AJ41
    2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4L M62

Bank 1 is passenger side, cylinders 1-4; bank 2 is drivers side, cylinders 5-8 on the BMW M62tu motor for 2003-2005.

Since this is new to you, you may not know if the timing chain guides have been addressed. Order a new lower oil pan gasket for a few bucks and drop the lower oil pan and see if there are any plastic bits in the bottom of the pan or in the oil pickup. It's an easy check and then you will know if you have a bigger job ahead of you.

Ryan.
    Ryan
    2003 Range Rover 4.4
    w/2012 Autobiography Conversion - Upgraded BM53, MK4 Navigation, Aux input & Sirius. Full Westminster Interior
    2003 Land Rover Discovery II
    2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5L 5-speed
    1973 Jaguar XKE V12

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now