Is this a shady dealer tactic or an honest battery failure? - Page 2
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is this a shady dealer tactic or an honest battery failure?

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Re: Is this a shady dealer tactic or an honest battery failu

Quote Originally Posted by MichalNY View Post

I see you are on Long Island. Where have you had your car serviced? I might go to another dealership for my extended warranty repairs...this was just not cool
    I do most of my repairs myself, although I would not rebuild an engine or transmission. Everything else I'll do/try.

If I need professional service, I take my Range Rovers to Scott Dalton who owns Expedition Imports in Smithtown off Middle Country Rd (Rte. 25). (631) 780-6035
    Last edited by RRToadHall; June 26th, 2019 at 11:00 PM.
    2006 Range Rover HSE 4.4L AJ41
    2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4L M62

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Just food for thought. We replaced our original battery about a year ago, on a 2011RR. I would have the shop check the alternator and water pump. Both also recently gave out.

Just changed the alternator and battery on my 2003 Range Rover. Now when I hit the gas Trans Failure and battery light and others pop up. Srems like the car doesn't want to go. Has anyone had this issue? What is recommended and do I have a battery reset button I need to hit?

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DBHJONBOY View Post
    Just changed the alternator and battery on my 2003 Range Rover. Now when I hit the gas Trans Failure and battery light and others pop up. Srems like the car doesn't want to go. Has anyone had this issue? What is recommended and do I have a battery reset button I need to hit?
    Probably should start a new thread for this one.

Batteries have the uncanny ( engineered ) ability to last as long as the label states if your lucky . A five year battery rarely lasts more than 5 years . Eight years is a long time for a battery to last in a Rover . I work on them and own them . You can put jumper cables from another car or battery on the battery points in the engine compartment and then carefully disconnect the battery . Put in the new battery and your good to go !

FRESHMAN ROVER
    8 years of life for a battery in the northeast? I’d say you’re a lucky man!

Have you ever installed a battery in Range Rover L322? It not easy to get the battery out. 1. Put the hood in service position.( disconnect hood stays) 2. Remove 60 lb. heavy battery. 3. Clean cables, install new heavy battery. 4. Program all lost accessory program. 5. reinstall hood stays and road-test.
    I think there more than 20 mins.Is this a shady dealer tactic or an honest battery failure?-lr-fix-.jpg

itis a havy batery, so to save my back ( 69 ), i made this helper.
    Is this a shady dealer tactic or an honest battery failure?-20180520_162705.jpg
    Is this a shady dealer tactic or an honest battery failure?-20180520_162641.jpg
    2012 TDV8 Black Edition

FRESHMAN ROVER

That's a cool idea.

FWIW, I've found it's easier to stand on a small platform/bench alongside the right front fender when replacing the battery.

This method saves one's lower back and it's easier to pull upwards using your knees to lift the battery onto the right strut mount area in one swift movement.

I once had a neighbor spend an hour trying to figure out how to remove the battery on a MY2010 L322 before they stopped by and asked for some help.

They almost kicked their car once I had it removed within ten minutes (but knowing "how" is what a dealer charges for (book time) not how long it takes

If it normally takes a trained JLR tech longer than 30 mins all in, they're costing themselves $$$ earning potential. There are, however, always exceptions given the occasional mis-step uploading any needed software post install.

What the dealer charges a customer (book time) is another story, of course.

I'm a little surprised that the OP's dealer GM hasn't/didn't at least try to work with the OP on the battery replacement book charge in order to retain their future business.

I guess everyone can be ripped off (or feel ripped off) at least once before taking their business elsewhere - in which case, both lose as the OP has an extended warranty and a used vehicle likely needing further repair = future revenue opportunities for someone [else?].

Rob

As an update....when the service advisor called me to pick up the car, he said the tech "already put a used battery in" so they managed to get it done without additional charges. So far so good, but Im already looking at Duralast Platinum from AutoZone

SOLIHULL ROVER
    Glad they did that except that battery could fail also. I agree that someone/thing let the battery discharge badly which an older one just cannot take. But I do have a general question about which year a battery change requires reprogramming the car by the dealer.
    2008 Alaska white SC with 128,000 mi. latest diff folly. 2004 Epson green 275k kms now for sale. also 1952 Hough payloader 1959 Nuffield 4DM
    2000 kent green 4.0 SE sold
    2003 GMC 1500 AWD window van 5.3 L love it in the snow & rain-anytime [on mich ltd m&s ll] 200 plus K miles. getting very rusty.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now