2010 Temp gauge dropping
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2010 Temp gauge dropping

FRESHMAN ROVER

2010 Temp gauge dropping

Hi All just picked up a 2011 HSE with 82k. The temp gauge climbs to normal while driving but as soon as I idle it starts dropping back to almost all the way cold. No codes pulled or anything. it is the strangest thing. it does not overheat adn comes up to temp under load only. Any thoughts? Sender maybe is bad?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: 2010 Temp gauge dropping

Some thoughts....

I'd recommend purchasing an infra red thermometer and recording the temperature of all the coolant system hoses, not least above and below the thermostat, to determine the thermostat's efficiency during warm up.

Check the hoses' temperatures again after similar conditions you describe above.

Does the electric cooling fan appear to be operating normally?

Are you certain that the coolant level is correct? On the right side along the strut mount there's a metal cooling pipe with a bleed screw atop a fitting.

Loosen that half a turn and then start the car (from cold) to ascertain that coolant readily flows out from that opening. If so, then tighten the bleed screw.

There are two temperature senders which "feed" the ECM.

One is immediately below the thermostat and the other is in the plastic water channel linking the two heads behind the inlet manifold.

The rear sender is quite fiddly to change but can be done with a little patience. You will have to remove the HVAC intake plenum to gain sufficient access (remove 2x 13mm nuts).

The temperature senders are withdrawn by depressing a small locking tab and twisting counter clockwise.

For around $100 (for the pair, OEM) it may be worth swapping them both out.

Rob

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: 2010 Temp gauge dropping

thanks Rob, I appreciate the response. i will try bleeding the system first, it was a bit low on coolant when I received it but haven't noted any leaks. Water pump was replaced about a year ago.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now