Indy shop transmission and tc service vs Atlantic British
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Indy shop transmission and tc service vs Atlantic British

Indy shop transmission and tc service vs Atlantic British

Hey Everyone,

After purchasing my 2011 SC with 105K miles on it the first items on my check list are transmission service, transfer case and differential fluid replacement.
    A transmission, differential and transfer case "kit" from Atlantic British is $550 after taxes.
    https://www.roverparts.com/Parts/ATFCKOMEWFL
    https://www.roverparts.com/Parts/DTCM400A
    However, when I called a local independent LR shop to inquire about labor costs, he offered full "4 wheel drive service" (transmission, transfer case, differentials and supposedly flushing the torque converter as well) using genuine land rover parts for $595.
    Am I missing something here? I'm either overpaying for those kits or the indy shop is giving me a great deal here. Thanks in advance

Michel

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER
    I had to do some transmission work a couple months ago, I bought from a zf supplier.
    I got the replacement pan with built in filter, trans fluid, spare pan bolts and new fill plug.
    https://www.thectsc.com/products/oil...ce-186-61.html, also got extra 2qts of fluid, solenoids, tubes and bridge for just over 600.00 shipped.

I haven’t looked at the diffs or transfer case fluids yet, that may be in a few more miles.
    1996 4.0 SE - "Lucky" has been a lucky car, 230,000 miles, owned for 18 years - recenly sold
    2000 4.6HSE - "Lotus". owned for 10 years now, just clicked 208,000 miles.
    2008 HSE 4.4l - "Meg" - New to us on 10-12-18 with 78,450 miles

Re: Indy shop transmission and tc service vs Atlantic Britis

I've used Atlantic British a couple of times, but in my cases found that items they at very least suggest that they're Land Rover brand parts aren't. It tricky with them - I really have to look closely for any clue of a brand with their descriptions.
    And I've never considered them to have the best prices for anything I've ever needed.
    I did like British Pacific, which was bought by or merged with Atlantic British. But I haven't had good experiences with Atlantic British myself.

I like Rock Auto, because I always know what brands they have. Unfortunately they don't carry genuine LR parts, although they do sell the original manufacturers such as Behr Hella, Wix, and others that are made for and stamped LR.
    But when it comes to transmission filters, I've used British Parts of Utah, or Merriam Jaguar Land Rover for genuine LR parts.

But that said, Atlantic British does put together packages. But the "OE" packages aren't genuine LR, but it's good that they include the ZF Lifeguard.
    But on the other hand, I'd rather have the steel pan & separate filter than the filter/plastic pan.
    '03 Range Rover HSE
    Black
    '12 Range Rover HSE 'Lux'
    White

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

$595 is a great price for all the items quoted. I don't know how they do it for this very little, my only guess is they have specialized machines that do the flushing in much shorter span of time than when done by hand. Even then I am still not sure how the price is this low. Just for laughs, I called my local LR dealer and got a $1,300 quote for a transmission flush alone.
    2004 Range Rover HSE

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by 03rangiemark View Post
    I've used Atlantic British a couple of times, but in my cases found that items they at very least suggest that they're Land Rover brand parts aren't. It tricky with them - I really have to look closely for any clue of a brand with their descriptions.
    And I've never considered them to have the best prices for anything I've ever needed.
    I did like British Pacific, which was bought by or merged with Atlantic British. But I haven't had good experiences with Atlantic British myself.

I like Rock Auto, because I always know what brands they have. Unfortunately they don't carry genuine LR parts, although they do sell the original manufacturers such as Behr Hella, Wix, and others that are made for and stamped LR.
    But when it comes to transmission filters, I've used British Parts of Utah, or Merriam Jaguar Land Rover for genuine LR parts.

But that said, Atlantic British does put together packages. But the "OE" packages aren't genuine LR, but it's good that they include the ZF Lifeguard.
    But on the other hand, I'd rather have the steel pan & separate filter than the filter/plastic pan.
    Agreed, I buy from Atlantic British as a last resort. That said, I did buy their transmission fluid and filter upgrade kit from them for my 2006 HSE. Using LR replacement filter and pan would require much more labor, as you have to remove the tranny cross member to drop the pan and filter.
    2006 Range Rover HSE 4.4L AJ41
    2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4L M62

Quote Originally Posted by MichalNY View Post
    Hey Everyone,

After purchasing my 2011 SC with 105K miles on it the first items on my check list are transmission service, transfer case and differential fluid replacement.
    A transmission, differential and transfer case "kit" from Atlantic British is $550 after taxes.
    https://www.roverparts.com/Parts/ATFCKOMEWFL
    https://www.roverparts.com/Parts/DTCM400A
    However, when I called a local independent LR shop to inquire about labor costs, he offered full "4 wheel drive service" (transmission, transfer case, differentials and supposedly flushing the torque converter as well) using genuine land rover parts for $595.
    Am I missing something here? I'm either overpaying for those kits or the indy shop is giving me a great deal here. Thanks in advance

Michel
    Michel,
    The $595 price is suspect to me. I cannot imagine they will be using genuine ZF Lifeguard 6 fluid or genuine T-Case/ Electronic locking diff fluids. Parts/Fluids alone are $450-$500 at wholesale pricing. I would only ever use the genuine Lifeguard fluid in the trans and I would also only use the genuine LR electronic locking diff fluid. So if you can 100% confirm this place will use those genuine fluids, It seems like a no-brainer to pay the $595. But it does seem a bit "too-good-to-be-true".

Also note that you do NOT need the 2-part pan/separate filter for the Full Size L322 Rovers. The trans pans on these Fullsize RR's will allow the whole pan assembly to drop straight down. So you can save a few bucks and get the integral pan/filter assembly (Genuine LR). Also note that your S/C Rover will have the rear electronic locking differential. It does require special fluid that differs from the non-electronic diffs. Atlantic British sells kits for both types. You linked to the non-electronic kit.

Lastly, If you are somewhat mechanically inclined, I would perform these fluid changes yourself. If you have the capability/jacks/jackstands to safely lift the Range Rover off the ground an all four corners to slide underneath, the rest of the work is pretty trivial. The trans pan drops straight down after removing the 20+ torx bolts (all of which have easy access). There is also easy access to both the drain and fill plugs on the transmission. You should also replace the mechatronics seal on the Transmission while you have the pan off. It is prone to leaks and pretty simple to replace... but likely to be the most "fiddly" part of the entire job.
    The Transfer case and Diff fluid are also both simple jobs, again, with easy drain/fill plug access. Just make sure you order the correct fluids (and quantities) and also order replacement drain and fill plugs for the Diff's and T-Case.

Also, if you want to splurge on a new tool for the job... Consider this: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben.../007311sch01a/
    I have this unit, and it makes filling fluids very easy. It includes a bunch of different adapters for filling various Diff's, TC's and Transmissions. It even doubles a pressure Brake bleeder as well.

SOPHOMORE ROVER

BillConn,

If you watch the Atlantic British video on replacing the one piece factory LR transmission pan & filter, it seems obvious that you cannot do so without moving/removing the tranny cross member or cutting the stem of the filter.

The RAVE service manual also states that you cannot simply drop the tranny pan.

If you know of a method that circumvents this, I and I"m sure a few others would be very interested.
    2006 Range Rover HSE 4.4L AJ41
    2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4L M62

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Tj View Post
    BillConn,

If you watch the Atlantic British video on replacing the one piece factory LR transmission pan & filter, it seems obvious that you cannot do so without moving/removing the tranny cross member or cutting the stem of the filter.

The RAVE service manual also states that you cannot simply drop the tranny pan.

If you know of a method that circumvents this, I and I"m sure a few others would be very interested.
    RR Sports and LR4's have access issues that make the 2-part pan/filter very advantageous. Full Size Range Rovers w/ the ZF 6HP28 transmission don't have the same cross-member interference.
    Have a physical look under your 2006 HSE and you will see for yourself. Also I am not sure what service manual you are looking at. For sure the 2010-2012 service manual doesn't indicate any "extra" steps beyond removing a small cover plate and removing the 21 bolts. This is direct contrast to the LR4 service manual, for example, where you must loosen some exhaust manifold bits, drop the trans x-member, etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Tj View Post
    ...The RAVE service manual also states that you cannot simply drop the tranny pan...
    I wish RAVE would apply to the 2011 -2012 MYs, but it doesn't.
    As I understand the only option for the 2011 - 2012 is TOPIx.
    '03 Range Rover HSE
    Black
    White

Quote Originally Posted by 03rangiemark View Post
    I wish RAVE would apply to the 2011 -2012 MYs, but it doesn't.
    As I understand the only option for the 2011 - 2012 is TOPIx.
    Do you have the PDF for the 2010 Range Rover? PM me if not, I can get you a digital copy

Based on my research the pan does not just drop in 2011. I think it requires the filter stem to be sewn off. I also do not believe I have rear locking diff
    Motorsport has an excellent writeup on transmission flush, just not the filter change here:
    https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-...uid-flush.html

Quote Originally Posted by BillConn View Post
    Do you have the PDF for the 2010 Range Rover? PM me if not, I can get you a digital copy

Great! I appreciate it - I just PM'd you.
    '03 Range Rover HSE
    Black
    White

[QUOTE=MichalNY;2269032]Based on my research the pan does not just drop in 2011. I think it requires the filter stem to be sewn off. I also do not believe I have rear locking diff
    Motorsport has an excellent writeup on transmission flush, just not the filter change here:
    [URL]https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6

I just looked under my 2012, and it looks like the pan is clear of the tubular frame for the transmission/transfer case. There is something of a skid bracket under the pan that looks like it it just comes of with a few bolts, maybe the trans pan bolts.
    '03 Range Rover HSE
    Black
    White

Quote Originally Posted by MichalNY View Post
    Based on my research the pan does not just drop in 2011. I think it requires the filter stem to be sewn off. I also do not believe I have rear locking diff
    https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-...uid-flush.html
    Not sure where the misinformation comes from. The 2006-2012 L322 allows for complete transmission pan removal without any major disassembly. There is a heat-shield and it’s support bracket that must be removed first... but other than that, you are good to go.
    as for the “flush” procedure highlighted in the link... I am not sure I’d go through the extra hassle unless your fluid looks really bad and previous fluid/filter changes have been neglected. It also bypasses any filter replacement which is also important. I have done this type of trans flush before on other cars via the trans cooler as mentioned in your link. I prefer to start and stop the engine ever 1-2Qt of fluids as opposed to trying to fill rapidly whilst the fluid continues to pump out. Seems more controlled than trying keep up with the trans pump.
    But as I said. I wouldn’t bother trying to flush the converter. A drain, filter swap and proper refill should be more adequate for routine maintenance.

Lastly, regarding the e-lock Diff. Check your VIN on Topix or the window sticker if you have it. I was under the impression it was a standard feature on the S/C models for 2010-2012. I’ll have check my Window Sticker to see if it was a standard item, or an additional $$ option on my RR.

Bill, thank you for the additional feedback. This definitely makes the DIY sound easier. I might just attempt this on my own.
    The transmission was never serviced by the previous owner, so a full flush and filter change might be more beneficial at 100K.
    As for the differential, it was standard on the early 2010 models, then it became an option. Mine shows "REAR AXLE OPEN DIFF" in Topix

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now