Indy shop transmission and tc service vs Atlantic British - Page 2
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Indy shop transmission and tc service vs Atlantic British

Re: Indy shop transmission and tc service vs Atlantic Britis

Quote Originally Posted by MichalNY View Post
    Bill, thank you for the additional feedback. This definitely makes the DIY sound easier. I might just attempt this on my own.
    The transmission was never serviced by the previous owner, so a full flush and filter change might be more beneficial at 100K.
    As for the differential, it was standard on the early 2010 models, then it became an option. Mine shows "REAR AXLE OPEN DIFF" in Topix
    Interesting. On my window sticker it reads “No Charge Locking Rear Diff”. So maybe you had to order it, but it was at no additional cost. *shrug*

I also got Mark and your requests for the service manual, so I’ll get those sent ASAP.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Locking rear diff comes with the supercharger.
    Range Rover HSE 2010 (5.0L V8 NA) with Factory Roof Rack - Zermatt Silver, Black Interior.

SOPHOMORE ROVER

I believe if you put it in "Snow" mode, you should see the lock icon on the infotainment screen.

Regarding the transmission fluid, the indy mechanic could be using Mercon SP instead of ZF Lifeguard 6 fluid. Use at your own risk, but all indications are that it is the same fluid.

I've done the transmission fluid a couple of times, and now have the steel pan (it was just slightly more than the plastic pan). You should know almost immediately if the fluid change was done correctly -- your shifts will be very smooth. I had a questionable change once, took it back, and they corrected it. I use the local Ford dealer for pretty much all service.

Also, watch for leaks the next day (puddles or drips the next day). When the steel pan was installed on mine, the drain plug seal was leaking. They fixed by using teflon tape around the threads and no problems since.

Also, I've found Miami British to have some pretty competitive pricing.
    2007 Range Rover HSE Lux

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Here's the option portion of the window sticker from my 2011 Range Rover SC:

Indy shop transmission and tc service vs Atlantic British-2011-sc-sticker.jpg

Notice: Electronic Rear Diff Lock $500.

Your indy shop sounds like a screamin' deal. Check their parts list for what you'd be getting.

Good luck!
    Kevin
    Las Vegas, NV (USA)
    2011 full-size Range Rover SC

Quote Originally Posted by RRChuck View Post
    Here's the option portion of the window sticker from my 2011 Range Rover SC:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011 SC Sticker.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	273760

Notice: Electronic Rear Diff Lock $500.

Your indy shop sounds like a screamin' deal. Check their parts list for what you'd be getting.

Good luck!
    Interesting that my 2011 had it as a no-charge option. I am also jealous of your Adaptive Cruise Control. That was the ONLY thing I had to concede on when I purchased our RR S/C

If its too good to be true....I called the indy shop to make an appointment just to find out the service is actually 1200. He was just going to do differentials for 560. I guess I will be doing this myself.
    Since the car has 105K on it, I think I need to do a full flush. I know that 7 quarts that came with the kit is not enough. However, I am seeing conflicting information regarding capacity.
    The DIY post I found here calls for 12 quarts:
    https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-...uid-flush.html
    However, the Manual from the FAQ section calls for 10 quarts. Any advice on flush vs drain and proper capacity will be appreciated
    TransCapacity.bmp

Another alternative is to perform a drain and fill. Drive for few miles, drain again, replace filter, and fill again. This isn’t quite the same as a flush, but pretty much replaces all the fluid. I am not a big advocate for trans cooler DIY flush method. Seems like an accident waiting to happen. I’ve done it before (never in the RR). It’s just as much work as draining and filling 2x. A bit more efficient on fluid... maybe.

Thanks Bill. Based on the posts I have read the flush is probably more desirable in my situation. Especially since I still have 2 years and about 30K left on my extended warranty.....still no feedback on the capacity? Anyone?

I show 9.9L (10.6 Quarts) in the service manual. I'd plan to have 12-14qts on hand. Since you will be flushing the trans fluid, you will probably want to run an extra bottle beyond the "predicted" Capacity of 10L. Then you will want to have some extra on-hand in case you end up pumping more than expected through the trans or spill some.
    Remember, you will be filling via a very specific method at a fairly narrow temp range (have a infrared temp gun handy). There is no dipstick, you are basically filling till fluid begins to seep out of the fill port while the trans is at correct temp (30-50C).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now