Quarter Sized Paint Bubble on 2010 HSE Tailgate
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

Thread: Quarter Sized Paint Bubble on 2010 HSE Tailgate

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quarter Sized Paint Bubble on 2010 HSE Tailgate

Looks like the paint bubble on the tailgate of my 2010 Range Rover is slowly but surely getting bigger. It's currently about the size of a quarter. I've read elsewhere on the forum that rust is common on the tailgates, and that the cause of the problem is from the inside out? I'm not sure how that would work?

Anyways, I'm debating to have it professionally fixed at about $500 USD for the paintwork. But, will this solve the problem, or is there anything else I need to have done to avoid this occurring in the future? I hope to have my rover for another 3 years or so.

Alternatively, I'm debating to just purchase a used tailgate, but I understand that I might run into the same issue? The cost would be about $600 for the part delivered, plus labor to install.

Basically, I'm just looking for the most affordable solution that looks decent enough for the next 3 years. Thanks in advance for your advice!

Quarter Sized Paint Bubble on 2010 HSE Tailgate-rearissue2.jpg
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Quarter Sized Paint Bubble on 2010 HSE Tailgate

Tailgate rust is usually along the bottom edge where the inner and outer body panels are rolled over and spot welded together, water gets into the joint and eats it from the inside. That looks like some kind of paint failure, maybe there's some previous body damage there that was repainted. If its rust fix it quich, once the rust gets a bite on the metal of a RR is spreads pretty quick. I had a little bubble on my left rear wheelwell about 6 months ago and not its spread over about a 4 or 5 " area on the flat face of the wheel lip. I have to get it fixed pretty soon of I'm screwed.
    M Canning
    Massachusetts, USA
    2006 HSE Bonnati Grey/Charcoal Interior
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now