Adding an OEM Tire Pressure Monitoring System to RRSC
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Adding an OEM Tire Pressure Monitoring System to RRSC

FRESHMAN ROVER

Adding an OEM Tire Pressure Monitoring System to RRSC

Hey All,

I'm looking into adding the TPMS system to my 2010 RRSC and wanted to field it with all you all.

How much / what parts do you think this would require?

What programming would be needed?

...can it be done?

Thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

JUNIOR ROVER

Re: Adding an OEM Tire Pressure Monitoring System to RRSC

This doesn't answer your question but have you ever owned a car with a TPMS? Its super annoying, usually problematic, and something I would prefer to retrofit to be gone. No experience with it on a 2010 RR but its probably like every other car.
    '99 Range Rover HSE
    '02 Audi S6

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Ditto NorCal RR's response.

Of all the 'modern' 'convenience' items on newer cars, I HATE TPM systems. I always checked tire pressures and can still do it.

My experience is that they throw false readings.
    2008 Black/Black Supercharged
    BMWs
    '95 325iC (convertible)
    '06 530xiT wagon
    '08 328xi
    '08 X3

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

The L322" TPMS system is the worst out of all of them. Unlike many including Jag's it does not tell you which tire. It only tells you to check ALL tires. It's a costly item to maintain, and mostly useless. Thank your lucky stars you don't have it. Unfortunately all US spec L322's came stock with it. At least 2006 and up. Use your $600.00+ on better things, like timing chains.
    2009 R/R HSE
    2001 R/R HSE
    1971 SER III
    2006 Jaguar Super V8
    1990 R/R Classic (dearly missed)
    1990 Jaguar XJ-40 VDP (RIP)

SOLIHULL ROVER

Last time I got tires I had them just fit normal rubber valves in (no tpms) terrible system. Not only is it usually annoying, with the salted roads and winter it corrodes the aluminum valves causing them to fail resulting in a flat. Has happened to me a couple of times, most recently last winter on a set of snow wheels the valve completely failed causing the stem to shoot out.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I have no first-hand experience with this, but if you want to reduce complexity of a proper TPM retrofit and not spend a ton of money, this may be a potential option:
    https://www.amazon.com/Tymate-Wirele...dp/B07HNPQ4X3/
    2004 Range Rover HSE

Quote Originally Posted by MarkinMaine View Post
    The L322" TPMS system is the worst out of all of them. Unlike many including Jag's it does not tell you which tire. It only tells you to check ALL tires. It's a costly item to maintain, and mostly useless. Thank your lucky stars you don't have it. Unfortunately all US spec L322's came stock with it. At least 2006 and up. Use your $600.00+ on better things, like timing chains.
    Hmm - I think that might be year dependent as my 2010 warns me when a specific tire is low, including the spare.
    Range Rover HSE 2010 (5.0L V8 NA) with Factory Roof Rack - Zermatt Silver, Black Interior.

FRESHMAN ROVER

L322 MY2010+ TPMS specifically identifies which wheel/tire is out of parameters.

The lack of TPMS warning reliability on earlier model years is most often due to a faulty TPMS module throwing phantom warnings, given that correct tire pressures (F36-38psi and R+spare 42-44psi) are recorded.

Rob

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Sharifrover View Post
    I'm looking into adding the TPMS system to my 2010 RRSC and wanted to field it with all you all.

How much / what parts do you think this would require?

What programming would be needed?
    Given that the US-spec ones came with it, I would imagine the OEM parts should be readily available and that you could find them used as well. Beyond the sensor components there is invariably one or more control modules, plus wiring. The car would need to be re-coded (CCF) to enable the TPMS functions once all the components are in place.
    2011 RR S/C

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thanks All for the responses - great range of ideas here.

I assumed (not sure if this is correct) that the same wiring loom would be used for any rover - but I could be wrong. I'll call up the parts department and the Dealer and see if they can supply a list and price quote for all the parts needed. I have a mechanic that can re-code.

All this said and done, itll more than likely be over $250 for all the modules and sensors. I like having a stock setup - but not paying over 250... I've had good experiences with TPMS - especially when it includes the spare. So Im willing to do it for the right price.

That being said - I really like the low form factor, and cheapness of the accessory dlimanov mentioned above.. like that it also takes temp readings as well thats pretty cool esp. given the hot roads in Dubai. I'll buy that and report back if I can get more info on the parts and cost. Also will let you guys know how well the aft. market setup works.

I have to agree with the why bother folks. My mother has a Chrysler 300 we have to turn off the warning for spare tire every time we get it. We've even followed the owners manual for using very powerful magnet provided in the spare tire compartment to clear the sensor and have it be relearned by TPMS CPU.
    When dealing with yourself, act with your brain
    When dealing others, act with your heart.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now