2006 Range rover L322 transmission shift solenoids behaviour
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2006 Range rover L322 transmission shift solenoids behaviour

FRESHMAN ROVER

2006 Range rover L322 transmission shift solenoids behaviour

Dear folks,

I own 2006 Range rover L322. Long time she had transmission issue but I'm still driving. Problem is harsh shifting.
    Tried many things like fluid change, solenoids change, torque converter change, SONNAX kit for mechatronic, sleeves and bridge etc...
    Problem still exists. Recently I bought iCarsoft LRII and tried to diagnose my tranny. And found something interesting... Please see below 2 pictures.
    2006 Range rover L322 transmission shift solenoids behaviour-real.jpg
    This is what my diagnostic software reads.

2006 Range rover L322 transmission shift solenoids behaviour-s.jpg
    and this is source from SONNAX.

If compare above 2 pictures my solenoid 2 or EDS2 behaves exactly in opposite way as it supposed to be. And also solenoid 4 behaves something different than SONNAX document.
    So my question. Is this normal or my transmission software needs to be reflashed.

Thank you forward for your time.

Please share your valuable opinions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

LEGACY VENDOR

Re: 2006 Range rover L322 transmission shift solenoids behav

The EDS2, EDS4 & EDS5 solenoids (i.e. blue cap) all feed maximum pressure when they have no current applied to them. Taking EDS5 (the system pressure solenoid) as an example, if the electrical/electronic systems in the transmission fail then the EDS5 solenoid defaults to maximum pressure so that the transmission can get you home.

Hence, for a blue cap solenoid, the definition of ‘ON’ can be ambiguous – does it refer to the solenoid current applied to it or the pressure it produces? In the case of the Sonnax document ‘ON’ means that the solenoid is sending full pressure to the clutch and therefore the clutch is applied. EDS2, for example, applies the B clutch, which is used in Reverse, 3rd & 5th gears. However, this means that the solenoid current is ‘off’ in these gears. The Sonnax document is therefore wrong to state ‘850 mA’ (which is maximum solenoid current) for this condition and they also have the B clutch engaged in 6th gear instead of 5th. Very poor documentation.

The table from your diagnostic software supplier is correct for EDS2. The solenoid current is applied in all gears other than Reverse, 3rd and 5th to turn the hydraulic pressure to the clutch off and therefore disengage the B clutch.

The yellow cap solenoids (EDS1, EDS3 & EDS6) operate in the opposite way i.e. they generate zero pressure when ‘off’ and the pressure they provide progressively increases as the current increases.

Phil

Did you check to see if your transmission software is up to date from the dealer? There was an issue with harsh shifting particularly 2-1 downshift which was solved by the TSB software/firmware update. Fixed the issue on my 2007 SC. Also, ensure your used the proper ZF Lifeguard 6 fluid and filled it properly at the correct temperature.
    2012 Range Rover Supercharged 5.0
    2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Dear Phil,

You're always professional and kind person who helps to others. Your advise is always helpful and makes life easier to others.
    Thank you and god bless you.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thank you Maxumus

I will check for transmission software version. It is may be that my problem is persists only because of software version. Will give back an update. About the fluid, I have filled with ZF Lifeguard 6 at correct temperature. Some gears (especially 2nd) were harsh. Then I added about 750ml fluid more which makes my transmission fluid level bit more than required. After that problem didn't solved but interesting thing is that shifting gears became more smoother than before. Hehe. Any thoughts?

What temperature did you check the fluid level at? If I remember correctly is 40 C.
    2012 Range Rover Supercharged 5.0
    2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2

FRESHMAN ROVER

yep, I checked at 40 degree celsus.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now