Range Rovers Forum banner

Help Requested with Suspension Issues with 2006 SC L322

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  RRToadHall 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a 2006 Supercharged L322, with 148,000 miles on it. It seemed in decent shape overall, and a solid buy, but came without any service history. In any event, she's mine now :)

Now, please be advised this is my first post here and I will be the first to admit, although I have done some reading I have not yet read all previous posts related to the diagnostic codes and symptoms I am experiencing. I am posting this in the hopes that someone may be able to offer some assistance for further diagnosis based on what I know so far. I do intend to continue reading the historical posts here, and in turn, document my DIY efforts so that other members may benefit from them in time.

Here's what I know so far:

At first the suspension appeared be operating fine. Normal right height appeared level and adjusted properly at each height from the manual control in the cockpit.

In time, with the car parked overnight I noticed that it appeared to be lower on the passenger (right) side, especially in the front. This condition quickly cleared itself when the car started and did not appear to be present every morning, so I did not think too much of it.

I was driving the car a short distance home recently, and the "vehicle lifting slowly" notification appeared on the dash, which was followed by the "suspension fault" and the "max speed 30 miles per hour" notifications. I'm not entirely certain of the exact phrasing of the next notification, but it said something to the effect of "lifting will resume when cooled".

I parked the car to let it cool and when I came back to it, it appeared to be sitting very low indeed, as seen below:

View attachment 273010

I got into the car, started it and walked around the outside. At the passenger (right) side of the vehicle I could hear a loud hissing sound, but as the car was on the drive, I couldn't determine much more about the source of the sound. I have since learned that there is an air supply line distribution block located in this general area in addition to the air spring assembly for the strut.

When driven (very short distances for testing), the car does seem to be able to adjust off the bump stops, but cycles through the same notifications on the dash I detailed above.

I removed the cover to check the compressor and it is being activated (coming on) at start up as one would expect. It basically runs until the "suspension fault" notification appears on the dash. Interestingly, the compressor is not the Hitachi model I anticipated. It is instead the AMK version, as see below:

View attachment 273012

I'm not sure it it is viewable in the above picture, but there seems to be a white, powdery residue where (what I assume to be) the dryer connects to its mount. I am including a better (large) pic of this below:

View attachment 273014

As I mentioned, the compressor does come on and runs until the "suspension fault" notification is displayed on the dash.

I have since purchased an IIDTool BT and have the following codes related to the suspension:

RLM-Suspension

• C1A36-01 (2E) Exhaust valve - General failure information - general electrical failure
    ( on 25-05-2019 14:12:51 at 238918 km )
  • C1A18-64 (2E) Pressure increases too rapid when filling reservoir - Algorithm based failure - signal plausibility failure
    ( on 25-05-2019 14:11:18 at 238917 km )
  • C1130-7A (2E) Air spring air supply - Mechanical failure - fluid leak or seal failure
    ( on 25-05-2019 14:12:41 at 238918 km )

I have just started working with the IIDTool but I did see that the firmware was still set to the Hitachi firmware and not the AMK firmware.

That's pretty much where I am at this point. I imagine I am going to have to spend a fair amount of money to address this problem, and I know there are some people that would immediately go the coil over replacement route. While i'm not intending to do much in the way of off roading, it is more appealing to me to keep the vehicle as designed with the air suspension system intact,, even if that means having to purchase remanufactured components, or if I have to rebuild existing components myself.

And that's where I am am looking for a little help. Given what I have outlined above, what course of action should I now take to further troubleshoot the problem ahead of ordering replacement parts? Ideally, I want to be back on the road by next weekend.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Andy

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.