Range Rovers Forum banner

2004 HSE missing front cross link valve!

4K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Moe_fr 
#1 ·
Hi folks
was taking a road less travelled at a slow speed the other day when the air suspension went into soft fault mode (air suspension disabled). Got back onto the highway parked up on the side and switched the engine off and then after a couple off minutes switched it back on and the soft fault mode had disappeared. when I got home I connected the computer with the RSW solutions program on up to the diagnostic port and on checking the faults for the suspension I got " no power to front cross link valve" thinking that after 15 years of use the solenoid had failed and purchased a new cross link valve (not too bad a price delivered in 5 days from the UK thank you LR Direct). Finally got round to replacing the valve, however after removing the front right wheel arch liner there is NO CROSS LINK VALVE. I have a nice clean piece of painted metal where it used to be and the outline matches the new valve, all the air pipes disappear back to the main valve block and the connection is dangling in fresh air. Reading another post https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6...cross-link-valve-do-all-2005-models-have.html it was noted some models were not fitted with a cross link valve, Is this correct? or has someone done away with the valve and just re-routed the airlines, if so is it possible to either
1. change the software to stop the soft fault coming up?
2. just attach the cable to the new cross link valve to fool the computer?
3. is it worthwhile trying to re-plumb the air pipes to the new valve?
4. is it damaging anything not having this valve fitted?
Any help and comments would be most appreciated

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi KG74,
Thanks for the info, will have to look into it a bit further.
However it's perplexing that there is no dirt on the paintwork where the crosslink valve fits the electrical connection is floating in mid air and the air pipes have been joined at one point and non standard cable grips used to hold the pipes in place. Methinks someone who didn't go off road previously modified it! Going to connect the valve back up as I have a brand new one to hand LOL

#4 ·
The plot thickens,
put in a new front cross link valve and connected everything up, however when I went off road again got a slightly different message re the cross link valves so thought maybe the back one's missing as well.
Just had the rear right wheel arch liner out to check and lo and behold there's a cross link valve all connected up, so somebody just removed the front one ... sigh
the big thing is now I don't know whether the rear copss link valve isn't working or the cable and plug to the front one is damaged.
Anyone know how to test the wiring to the cross link valves to see if it's working?

#5 ·
Hi,
Just removed the front right wheel arch today in order to check the front valve (my RR was dropping down on right side).
The front valve is also missing. Connector is not protected. Left (black) tubes are connected together. Yellow tube is in a single piece.
Using Microcat with the VIN, shows that there is no front valve on that vehicule. So it is intentionnal from Land Rover.
No idea why.

#6 ·
Moe fr - Will France win the Euros is the big question.

Your findings on the front cross link are similar to what I found. I know I read somewhere the vehicle was not equipped - why not RR knows.

If I recall there is some kind of joint, long black plastic, accessed through a plastic panel on the under carriage rail in front of the rear wheel.

Pugwash - what do the airlines you are looking at look like? Are they factory lines? You may be chasing a mirage.

#7 ·
Do not know for Euros ;), but I found the main valve on the right of under carriage (back of the front wheel).
I haven't look on the rear side for the rear valve (not now: parts for the rear suspension are not ordered yet).
For the missing front valve, maybe fitting a refurbished one will allow the system to work again (all electrical connexions are present, and all pneumatic lines are present). However, this seems to be used only in offroad mode and with high left/right level differences. So personnaly I think I won't use it a lot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.