Cataltyic converter red hot at idle
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cataltyic converter red hot at idle

Cataltyic converter red hot at idle

Does anyone know what the normal operating temperatures would be for cat converters during idle?
    i measured mine today and got-

Passenger side 450-495F
    Drivers side 360-390F
    Both cats glow at night in red
    I also have a persistent misfire code p1315 obviously on bank 1 given i have a glowing cat , suggesting unburned fuel , but is that code tied to a specific cylinder?
    Cataltyic converter red hot at idle-img_2528.jpg
    245,000 miles and counting....
    "Stable genius?"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

re: Cataltyic converter red hot at idle

From what I read for RR's, this code appears to be related to "persistent misfire." How does the engine run? If you place your hand in the exhaust stream from the tailpipe, CAREFUL NOT TO BURN YOURSELF, is the exhaust smooth, or does it "pop?" Usually, a misfire results on the offending cylinder being identified by a code, and that injection pulse is inhibited. When were the spark plugs last changed? It is possible for old plugs to cause the spark to leak to ground, intermittently, causing a misfire. With that # of miles on the vehicle, coils, plugs, wires, etc might be a wise beginning, unless you have reason to believe that they are certainly ok. Let us know... Ray

re: Cataltyic converter red hot at idle

Quote Originally Posted by RABarrett View Post
    From what I read for RR's, this code appears to be related to "persistent misfire." How does the engine run? If you place your hand in the exhaust stream from the tailpipe, CAREFUL NOT TO BURN YOURSELF, is the exhaust smooth, or does it "pop?" Usually, a misfire results on the offending cylinder being identified by a code, and that injection pulse is inhibited. When were the spark plugs last changed? It is possible for old plugs to cause the spark to leak to ground, intermittently, causing a misfire. With that # of miles on the vehicle, coils, plugs, wires, etc might be a wise beginning, unless you have reason to believe that they are certainly ok. Let us know... Ray
    Hi Ray , thank you for the response ,
    I recently changed the spark plugs , the coils and the cats, everything is new but i worry about the quality. i had trouble fitting the coils and i suspect they are knock offs as it was not smooth fitting. (autohaus purchase)
    The exhaust is a pop pop pop , scenario , definitely a misfire but i am not sure which cylinder as the code does not specify ... the only thing i have not changed is the injectors , so now i am thinking of getting two more new coils and a set of new injectors.

Hopefully this will stop the fuel dumping that is causing the cats to glow...
    "Stable genius?"

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SOLIHULL ROVER

Re: Cataltyic converter red hot at idle

those temp ranges are fine. I don't know about the un-burnt fuel theory though, that would actually lower temps... you run hotter in a lean condition which causes detonation and misfires as combustion becomes intermittent at higher temps. Probably not your issue either. Most likely a bad coil or plug causing the miss.

Re: Cataltyic converter red hot at idle

Quote Originally Posted by brad s1 View Post
    those temp ranges are fine. I don't know about the un-burnt fuel theory though, that would actually lower temps... you run hotter in a lean condition which causes detonation and misfires as combustion becomes intermittent at higher temps. Probably not your issue either. Most likely a bad coil or plug causing the miss.
    Thx Brad... i suspect bad injectors and a bad coil.. i recently bought the coils and they struggled to fit unlike the ones i took out so i suspect they were knockoffs and not originals... so i will be buying a new set of genuine coils and injectors... see if anything changes , i did put a fuel additive that seems to have cleaned things up internally and the miss has vanished for now but its not fixed yet... as for the cats , thanks for confirming the temps , i was not sure how hot they should be... i feel as though i should have a heat shield around the tranmission sump to protect from the heat radiated from those cats... i dont like the idea that the cats are merely a foot away and getting so hot...
    "Stable genius?"

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now